• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

They why I posted the question, if not dedicated the duplex could and most likely be used for somrthin else in the closet like a condensation pump or dehumidifier on the furnace?

They why I posted the question, if not dedicated the duplex could and most likely be used for somrthin else in the closet like a condensation pump or dehumidifier on the furnace?

I don't recall any problems with a furnace and a condensate pump plugged into a duplex receptacle.

No window flashing & window not nailed per manu. specs.
I didn’t see it but the contractor says that there is a nail flange and flashing under the lath paper. He insists that an inspector told him to do it like this.. I assured him tha the previous inspector will return for the next inspection.

Last edited:
A man called this morning. He owns a house in my territory. He explained that the tile roofing was removed and reinstalled after the underlay was replaced. It was done without a permit (which is required) because the roofer told him that it would be less expensive without a permit. He noticed that there is now one less row of tiles. He suspects that the head lap was shortened because there were broken tiles to make up for.

The tile manufacturer recommends between 3" and 5" of head-lap and the tiles are overlapped 2.5". He is concerned that the short lap will be a problem. He wants to obtain a permit and he wants me to make the roofer do it over with a 3" lap. Some people! I explained that he knowingly broke the law ..... ended up with a shlt storm and now he wants to invite me in. I told him to forget that idea.

Last edited:
ICE I feel it, it's like when your driving to a job site and you see a roofing contractor working with no permit. Then later part of the roof blows off and they all of a sudden need your assistance getting the roofer back, can't help you buddy.

Half the roofers don' t follow the instructions on the shingle wrapper. Roof ridge shingles are suppose to be shingled where they can't catch the prevailing wind, (what?) small detail but very few pay attention too it. Curious if any insurance companies care?

This is amazing. I shared with fellow condo managers in the office this morning and we are cackling.

Clever, I guess, and one of the most absurd things I've seen.
I’m going to offer a partial defense for that picture. It’s admittedly a stretch. Couple of years ago i was visiting my brother in Ark in the summer. Hot. Its was sunday afternoon and the ac started acting up, not cooling. We determined the problem was the fan on the condensing unit was not coming on, so we fastened a box fan to the outside of the unit to blow some air across the coils. That worked for the rest of the day, and he called for service on monday.
But ... looking at the picture ... that’s not a one day solution.

Post #3860

Why would one lambs tongue ice up and not the other? I can't say I've ever seen that!

Post #3860

Why would one lambs tongue ice up and not the other? I can't say I've ever seen that!
I think, purely speculation, that one is the primary and the other is the secondary drain. Melt has not backed up to the roof yet, so no flow through the secondary drain.

This is a great example why roof drain leaders should be run on the warm side of a wall. Also, having the primary drain run interior, through the SOG, and out the foundation below frost line and connected to on-site storm, is a much better configuration.

I disagree on having the drain go through the slab to a direct connection. Roof maintenance is usually a low priority item, so when the drain leader clogs with leaves and trash you won’t know until the problem gets serious.

I disagree on having the drain go through the slab to a direct connection. Roof maintenance is usually a low priority item, so when the drain leader clogs with leaves and trash you won’t know until the problem gets serious.
And that is why the secondary drain shall discharge via a lambs tongue in an apparent location.