• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

PVC Penetrations In Rated Wall

jmc

Bronze Member
Hi. Is there a requirement to sleeve PVC when it penetrates a 1hr rated wall? If so, would I find the answer in Section 714 IBC 2015? Thank you.

You would find that in the listed and tested fire penetration detail from the firestop material manufacturer...

Is his question

No matter what, Is a sleeve required, independent of the fire stopping??

Likely not, but if you get the listing, which you can not approve anything without, it will tell you exactly how it needs to be installed. 1" PVC or 12"?

4"

I have more info: It's a 4" future radon pipe penetrating 4 floors, not a wall. R-2, Type 5 construction.

4"

I have more info: It's a 4" future radon pipe penetrating 4 floors, not a wall. R-2, Type 5 construction.
How many floors can a non-rated shaft penetrate?

713.1 General. The provisions of this section shall apply to shafts required to protect openings and penetrations through floor/ceiling and roof/ceiling assemblies. Interior exit stair- ways and ramps shall be enclosed in accordance with Section 1023.

714.5 Nonfire-resistance-rated assemblies. Penetrations of nonfire-resistance-rated floor or floor/ceiling assemblies or the ceiling membrane of a nonfire-resistance-rated roof/ceiling assembly shall meet the requirements of Section 713 or shall comply with Section 714.5.1 or 714.5.2.

714.5.1 Noncombustible penetrating items. Noncombustible penetrating items that connect not more than five stories are permitted, provided that the annular space is filled to resist the free passage of flame and the products of combustion with an approved noncombustible material or with a fill, void or cavity material that is tested and clas- sified for use in through-penetration firestop systems.

714.5.2 Penetrating items. Penetrating items that connect not more than two stories are permitted, provided that the annular space is filled with an approved material to resist the free passage of flame and the products of combustion.

Last edited:
How many floors can a non-rated shaft penetrate?

713.1 General. The provisions of this section shall apply to shafts required to protect openings and penetrations through floor/ceiling and roof/ceiling assemblies. Interior exit stair- ways and ramps shall be enclosed in accordance with Section 1023.

714.5 Nonfire-resistance-rated assemblies. Penetrations of nonfire-resistance-rated floor or floor/ceiling assemblies or the ceiling membrane of a nonfire-resistance-rated roof/ceiling assembly shall meet the requirements of Section 713 or shall comply with Section 714.5.1 or 714.5.2.

714.5.1 Noncombustible penetrating items. Noncombustible penetrating items that connect not more than five stories are permitted, provided that the annular space is filled to resist the free passage of flame and the products of combustion with an approved noncombustible material or with a fill, void or cavity material that is tested and clas- sified for use in through-penetration firestop systems.

714.5.2 Penetrating items. Penetrating items that connect not more than two stories are permitted, provided that the annular space is filled with an approved material to resist the free passage of flame and the products of combustion.
Not a shaft.

If the pipe remains internal to the wall, then it will only require fireblocking at plate lines.

Most fire-rated penetration details require a metal sleeve when a plastic pipe is penetrating the rated assembly. This is to restrain the intumescent material surrounding the pipe so it will expand and crush the pipe (which has been softened by the fire) and prevent flames from spreading through the pipe.

Last edited:
Oh, well I thought he said that four floors were being penetrated. I guess I added an in where it didn't belong.

"I have more info: It's a 4" future radon pipe penetrating 4 floors, not in a wall. R-2, Type 5 construction."

https://www.hilti.com/c/CLS_FIRESTOP_PROTECTION_7131/CLS_FIRESTOP_COLLAR_WRAP_BANDAGE_7131/r373?CHD_NOMINAL_PIPE_DIAMETER=4-11/32 in&combo_content=884a6325c5f164f3cc6d5f97bd3e3231&itemCode=304329

I said not a wall because I was correcting myself to say floors instead. However, it is within the cavity of a wall.