• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Electrical Panel Location

James T Timler

2019-12-19_20-31-14_947_LI (2).jpg I am looking at purchasing a small home. The electrical panel is located inside a kitchen cabinet, close to the floor and below a kitchen counter. I assume this is a huge violation for clearance. Any confirmation is greatly appreciated. Also, the electric hot water heater is located in closet next to the furnace. The romex wire comes out of the ceiling directly into the water heater. Does there need to be a secondary disconnect and conduit? All feedback is appreciated. I will try to post a picture as well.

Last edited:
How old is the house?

I am not an electrical person.

I think your water heater wiring is ok.

Not sure why you panel is in the location it is???? Is this the only panel for the entire house?

Is the electric meter on the outside in this area???

Welcome

Which great state or territory are you in??
The property is located in Wisconsin. The house is 90+ years old. Originally built as a cottage but has been a permanent residence for well over half its age. The panel is updated with circuit breakers.

How old is the house?

I am not an electrical person.

I think your water heater wiring is ok.

Not sure why you panel is in the location it is???? Is this the only panel for the entire house?

Is the electric meter on the outside in this area???

Yes, it is the main panel for all of the house. The house is 90+ years old. Originally built as a cottage but has been a permanent residence for over 50 years. Panel is updated with circuit breakers. Electric meter is outside.

The panel needs to have an open working space in front of it, at least 36 inches deep, 30 inches wide, and from floor to ceiling. You may be able to get away with simply putting a door over the panel for decorative purposes, but a cabinet will end up getting filled with stuff that will block access.
NEC 110.26(A) – The working space about electrical service panel/sub-panel shall be at least 3 ft. in front of the electrical panel. The width of the working space shall be 30” or greater, and the height of the space shall extend from the floor to 6 1/2 feet or the height of the panel, whichever is greater.

The panel is in a horrible location and a major safety concern due to access.
The panel needs to have an open working space in front of it, at least 36 inches deep, 30 inches wide, and from floor to ceiling. You may be able to get away with simply putting a door over the panel for decorative purposes, but a cabinet will end up getting filled with stuff that will block access.
NEC 110.26(A) – The working space about electrical service panel/sub-panel shall be at least 3 ft. in front of the electrical panel. The width of the working space shall be 30” or greater, and the height of the space shall extend from the floor to 6 1/2 feet or the height of the panel, whichever is greater.

Thanks for the information. I tried to post a picture but I could not get it to work.
photo.php

If you are not a forum supporting member ( cheap to join), you have to make the picture a link and post the link
I believe I am all signed up as a member but I do not believe I did the link correctly. A symbol instead of the image appeard.

I did not see any K&T wiring. Anything that was visible to me looked like Romex. The panel has all circuit breakers and outside the house is a Generac back up generator wired into the main panel. My assumption is a permit was not taken out and a contractor did a cash deal.

I believe I am all signed up as a member but I do not believe I did the link correctly. A symbol instead of the image appeard.

There are two levels

The paying one is sawhorse, I think $35

If you click on the round circle looking person, top right

Go to account upgrade

Look for annual sawhorse

And help keep this great site going

I am looking at purchasing a small home. The electrical panel is located inside a kitchen cabinet, close to the floor and below a kitchen counter. I assume this is a huge violation for clearance. Any confirmation is greatly appreciated. Also, the electric hot water heater is located in closet next to the furnace. The romex wire comes out of the ceiling directly into the water heater. Does there need to be a secondary disconnect and conduit? All feedback is appreciated. I will try to post a picture as well.
There are two levels

The paying one is sawhorse, I think $35

If you click on the round circle looking person, top right

Go to account upgrade

Look for annual sawhorse

And help keep this great site going
2019-12-19_20-31-14_947_LI (2).jpg

Thanks for giving me the update tip. Here is a picture showing the cabinet where the electrical panel is located.

I am looking at purchasing a small home. The electrical panel is located inside a kitchen cabinet, close to the floor and below a kitchen counter. I assume this is a huge violation for clearance. Any confirmation is greatly appreciated. Also, the electric hot water heater is located in closet next to the furnace. The romex wire comes out of the ceiling directly into the water heater. Does there need to be a secondary disconnect and conduit? All feedback is appreciated. I will try to post a picture as well.
2019-12-19_20-31-14_947_LI (2).jpg