• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Electrical Panel Location

Hello Mr. Timler,
I noticed the glass doors on the fireplace. Here is a post that may be of interest to you. mtlogcabin is the member to look for.

As to the electrical panel in the cabinet....well stuff happens. It's certainly not the best place for it. I can't imagine the owner being willing to move it for you. But who knows. Discovering something like that makes one question the rest of the electrical work.

I had to back up for a moment, so you haven't bought it yet?
Is the price right, have you had it inspected?
Buying as is or will the seller negotiate or fix the non-compliant issues?

I had to back up for a moment, so you haven't bought it yet?
Is the price right, have you had it inspected?
Buying as is or will the seller negotiate or fix the non-compliant issues?
We are just in the early stages. I was asked by a friend if I would like to look at it so I did. I really like the location and want to make this work. I believe we are in a "as is" scenario and I have not had an inspection done yet.

My 2 cents ... as-is is ok for worn carpet, cracked window glass, antique toilets. Serious stuff like the electrical panel fall into “must correct”.

My 2 cents ... as-is is ok for worn carpet, cracked window glass, antique toilets. Serious stuff like the electrical panel fall into “must correct”.
Thanks, I believe I am going to have an general inspection and an electrical inspection. I will get a quote to fully understand what we are looking at. Thanks again and I really appreciate your advice

Thanks, I believe I am going to have an general inspection and an electrical inspection. I will get a quote to fully understand what we are looking at. Thanks again and I really appreciate your advice

Is this your first house you have bought??

This is from the CEC:

334.15 Exposed Work. In exposed work, except as provided in 300.11(A), cable shall be installed as specified in 334.15(A) through (C).

(A) To Follow Surface. Cable shall closely follow the surface of the building finish or of running boards.

(B) Protection from Physical Damage. Cable shall be protected from physical damage where necessary by rigid metal
conduit, intermediate metal conduit, electrical metallic tubing, Schedule 80 PVC conduit, Type RTRC marked with the
suffix-XW, or other approved means.

While I can't speak for all of California, my AHJ has determined that if the cable is exposed it is subject to physical damage.

Is there a disconnect at the meter? Or is it in the panel in the cabinet? The reason for the questions is to get a idea how long the unprotected service conductors are beyond the meter, if applicable.

Wisconsin huh? Whodathunkit? They have a certain way of doing things.

My parents have a log cabin in the north woods area built in the 90's. My dad assures me that everything was built to code. I try not to say too much when I am there about code related issues and just enjoy the scenery.

This is from the CEC:

334.15 Exposed Work. In exposed work, except as provided in 300.11(A), cable shall be installed as specified in 334.15(A) through (C).

(A) To Follow Surface. Cable shall closely follow the surface of the building finish or of running boards.

(B) Protection from Physical Damage. Cable shall be protected from physical damage where necessary by rigid metal
conduit, intermediate metal conduit, electrical metallic tubing, Schedule 80 PVC conduit, Type RTRC marked with the
suffix-XW, or other approved means.

While I can't speak for all of California, my AHJ has determined that if the cable is exposed it is subject to physical damage.

Wow your AHJ is really strick. They don't allow exposed romex in unfinished sheds, garages, attics, crawl spaces, utility rooms?

Wow your AHJ is really strick. They don't allow exposed romex in unfinished sheds, garages, attics, crawl spaces, utility rooms?
We allow exposed cable in unfinished attics and crawl spaces but nowhere else. If you think that we are strict, check out Chicago.

Are we suppose to circle something in this photo, like how many pocket watches we can find?

I suspect this work may have been done prior to permits being required?

If service to house is less than 6oa no disconnect at the box may have been required. Our house only had 30a with 4 penny fuses original to 1905.