• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

The RVI Guide Re-roof that I created advises the roofer that a chimney wider than 30" requires a saddle or cricket.

This is the picture that was presented at the sheathing inspection.

This is the picture at the final inspection.

50006807997_4b534de744_b.jpg50006807597_3776fe9ece_b.jpg

T
his side of the chimney is visible from the roof and only from the roof.

Last edited:
I hope the cricket shingles aren't lapping over the main roof shingles. It might be tough to keep this watertight unless there's an ice & water shield underlayment.

I hope the cricket shingles aren't lapping over the main roof shingles. It might be tough to keep this watertight unless there's an ice & water shield underlayment.
Ya it's bucking water. The pitch is low and the cricket is small.

Hopefully the caulking at the reglet/wall flashing will not leak until you have completed your inspection. The metal expands and contracts at a different rate than the stone so the caulking is just going to pull away soon.

Hopefully the caulking at the reglet/wall flashing will not leak until you have completed your inspection. The metal expands and contracts at a different rate than the stone so the caulking is just going to pull away soon.
They went to a lot of trouble to do it wrong.

Patio cover roof meets a wall. Considering that the window is at the second story, a roof six inches lower would have been okay. At what stage of the construction did they realize that this will not work? I'm guessing ledger. The cover is 40' long and window is near one end. The people that put up the ledger had to know....and did it anyway. They weren't starting over with thirty feet of ledger already screwed to the wall.

50025744968_7ae9e0ab9d_b.jpg

Three skylights.

50026338431_5a66e53c57_b.jpg

It's a mess created by a licensed contractor.

Last edited:
Do you check the hole diameter at anchor bolts? This anchor bolt had a 3"x3" plate washer installed and a hole as a witness next to it. I have always restricted the diameter to 11/16" for a 5/8" bolt. That's the way I was taught oh so long ago. Back then it was a 9/16" hole for a 1/2" bolt. Looking for that in the code book ....well I'm not much good with a code book and I can't find it. So if you know where it is please point it out. If it is not in the code book, I would like to know that too.....but I'm pretty sure that it is....at least in mine.

50026549287_1d7a0163f5_b.jpg

Last edited:
I find this on almost every plan. I enforce it on new houses. Not so much on room additions. How about you guys and gals. Is it an affront to say gals? Are there any looking in?

Last edited:
As for anchor bolt hole sizing, the National Design Standard for wood construction gives you 1/32" to 1/16" per side for the hole size. The Simpson hardware book at one time made a reference to the NDS standard. I max I have seen is a 2" hole for 1/2" anchor bolts. I should have taken his drill and drill bits to prevent future occurrences.

Reactions: ICE

Detail 7 is called out.

This is detail 7.

The detail does not fit well with the location of a slab to footing interface. I mentioned that to the contractor and he wanted to know why I thought that. I explained that the usual detail for that location shows a thickened slab however the code would not require a thickened slab. I surmised that the designer might have thought he was getting a thickened slab by virtue of where he placed the detail call out on the foundation plan.

Then I got a revised plan:

The revision is unique in several respects and they did this as a result of the revision:

50097843728_50d49cf85e_k.jpg

Attachments

• 50098426641_edd931b157_k.jpg
    50098426641_edd931b157_k.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 50098654137_4c55ce4264_k.jpg
    50098654137_4c55ce4264_k.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 50098426806_fb37fb5c3a_k.jpg
    50098426806_fb37fb5c3a_k.jpg
    419.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I am not sure why but the gas water heater is sitting in the garage with no vent. Been that way for months. I noticed that the occupants each had a nosebleed.

50113048842_361bb97406_k.jpg

Alrighty then, I lied about the nosebleeds.

Last edited:
Why are there two cold water lines on the water heater? Or did the contractor run out of red PEX?

More wrong than just the vent. surprised you could get a picture of a water heater in seismically active California without straps, T&P valve and pipe. Heck of a platform!

Hielo,
Make sure you check the gas line for an approved tag, that looks like an homemade CSST gas line that's missing the bonding.

Where's the floor drain?

More wrong than just the vent. surprised you could get a picture of a water heater in seismically active California without straps, T&P valve and pipe. Heck of a platform!
As wrong as this, it’s the “platform” that stands out.

The owner took out a permit. The lady that lives there sent me a few pictures of the work that was done by a friend of theirs. Right away I knew that the friend does mostly commercial work. I have not seen much of the work yet but I expect it to be tidy....and well...commercial not residential.

50112110742_37b8a660f8_b.jpg

Last edited:
The job is a 400 amp residential service upgrade. The contractor knows that we require a bonding jumper between the cold, hot and gas pipes at the water heater....so he did this:

50123677543_cabd655ce3_b.jpg