• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

1016.2.1(5) intervening spaces through kitchen.

frank.dimambro

I'm facing a Code Enforcement claim that a means of egress goes through a kitchen, I've asked for clarification on that run but I'm not getting it, can anyone give me some thoughts. I would like to attach a image of the plans, and a photo, not clear how that's done on this forum.

No say dining area, cannot exit through the actual kitchen area.

Either be a forum supporting Sawhorse

Which would be nice

Or make the picture a link, post the link

I think you can do like Flickr or drop box or similar also

Not much give,,, If this matches word for word what you have

Egress shall not pass through kitchens, storage rooms, closets or spaces used for similar purposes.

Exceptions:

1. Means of egress are not prohibited through a kitchen area serving adjoining rooms constituting part of the same dwelling unit or sleeping unit.
  2. Means of egress are not prohibited through stockrooms in Group M occupancies where all of the following are met:
    1. 2.1. The stock is of the same hazard classification as that found in the main retail area.
    2. 2.2. Not more than 50 percent of the exit access is through the stockroom.
    3. 2.3. The stockroom is not subject to locking from the egress side.
    4. 2.4. There is a demarcated, minimum 44-inch-wide (1118 mm) aisle defined by full- or partial-height fixed walls or similar construction that will maintain the required width and lead directly from the retail area to the exit without obstructions.

Which would be nice

Not much give,,, If this matches word for word what you have

Egress shall not pass through kitchens, storage rooms, closets or spaces used for similar purposes.

Exceptions:

1. Means of egress are not prohibited through a kitchen area serving adjoining rooms constituting part of the same dwelling unit or sleeping unit.
  2. Means of egressare not prohibited through stockrooms in Group M occupancies where all of the following are met:
    1. 2.1. The stock is of the same hazard classification as that found in the main retail area.
    2. 2.2. Not more than 50 percent of the exit access is through the stockroom.
    3. 2.3. The stockroom is not subject to locking from the egress side.
    4. 2.4. There is a demarcated, minimum 44-inch-wide (1118 mm) aisle defined by full- or partial-height fixed walls or similar construction that will maintain the required width and lead directly from the retail area to the exit without obstructions.
[/QUOT

Which would be nice

Yes the wording is clear, but I think this really needs sharing a picture or a plan to see how the egress can be interpreted as going through a kitchen.

Appears, you want people to walk thru

The kitchen but not thru the cooking area.

My answer is still no, unless you put walls up, floor to ceiling.

What kind of business

How many total sq ft??

Is this an already existing business/ cooking set up?

The Total Sqft is 2200sqft. I have a door at the back and 2 at the front and my tenant wants a 145 people occupancy. The two doors at the front are not far enough apart to allow half the diagonal rule to allow the them to the 2 means of egress that will allow 145 people. The one at the rear is, but Code enforcement is claiming it's going through a kitchen. I'm not seeing how that claim is valid, what does going through a kitchen mean.

Simple is move one of the front doors farther apart

Appears you are going thru the kitchen work area,,,, which can get easily blocked

Give it a day or two, and you should get more answers.

How far off are the two front doors, from being half the diagonal????

Each side of the space is indeed neighbor so side doors is not an option, moving the front door may be a more expensive solution. Putting up a wall across the Kitchen side, and making the enter to the Kitchen from the middle or the fair side, sounds like the simplest solution.

I'll need to measure the diagonal and the distance between the front Doors again. The Restaurant is also linked to whether there's cooking in the Kitchen. The Kitchen is defined but the Health Department as heating only. So it's allowed to have a Microwave, and he has a grill that he uses to heat tortillas, that allows no Hood.

Each side of the space is indeed neighbor so side doors is not an option, moving the front door may be a more expensive solution. Putting up a wall across the Kitchen side, and making the enter to the Kitchen from the middle or the fair side, sounds like the simplest solution.

yep and like I said, you might put a door in it and see if it flys

Might even try a barn door slider, and see if that flys