• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Ramp requirements

ELLEN09US

Hello!

I'm working on an outdoor patio deck for a restaurant. I want to know what's the min height that the code requires to have a ramp. If it is less than 6" do I need to have a ramp and handrails/ guardrails? thanks!

Yes, a ramp is required, and ramps require handrails, but you do not need guards.

Hello!

I'm working on an outdoor patio deck for a restaurant. I want to know what's the min height that the code requires to have a ramp. If it is less than 6" do I need to have a ramp and handrails/ guardrails? thanks!
Depends on the slope, not the height. If it's less than 1:20, not a ramp.
it is not a tripping hazard? where can I find it in California Building code? Thanks!
If it is a ramp, I think you're looking for 1003.5.

1003.5 is for egress. I need accessibility req.
Re-Read 1003.5, "Exist in the Means of egress"
1003.5.png
as for accessibility, the MOE is part of an accessible route, but besides 1003.5 then chapter 11,

So
  • 11B-403.3
  • 11B-403.6
  • 11B-405.....

Last edited:
Others are correct--if the slope is 1:20 or less, it is not a ramp and does not need handrails.

I think this might be what you are looking for:

IBC 1104.2 Within a Site

At least one accessible route shall connect accessible buildings, accessible facilities, accessible elements and accessible spaces that are on the same site...

ANSI 303.4

Changes in level greater than 1/2" in height shall be ramped...

1003.5 is for egress. I need accessibility req.
Likely it is egress also. It's hard to imagine how it wouldn't be. If so, you need to meet both requirements. If it is a ramp, you will need to meet 1003.5 handrail requirements which are more stringent than ADA/ANSI 405.8.

What is the slope?

i think i have the space to be less than 1:12.
You need to be less than 1:20 to not be a ramp. All egress/accessible ramps need to be less than 1:12.

Consider also that a ramp needs a landing at the top and bottom. A 6" ramp at 1:12 with 60" landings will be 16' long.
A 6" rise in a sloped walking surface at 1:20 will be 10' long, no landings, guardrails, handrails, contrasting colors required.

You need to be less than 1:20 to not be a ramp. All egress/accessible ramps need to be less than 1:12.

Consider also that a ramp needs a landing at the top and bottom. A 6" ramp at 1:12 with 60" landings will be 16' long.
A 6" rise in a sloped walking surface at 1:20 will be 10' long, no landings, guardrails, handrails, contrasting colors required.
More than likely landings will not be required because the sloped surface is going between 2 floor areas, the floor areas would qualify landings the separate landings would not be required.

ADASAD 405.8 doesn't require handrails for a 6" high ramp. I think ANSI A117.1 is the same.
I think this might be what you are looking for:

IBC 1104.2 Within a Site

At least one accessible route shall connect accessible buildings, accessible facilities, accessible elements and accessible spaces that are on the same site...

ANSI 303.4

Changes in level greater than 1/2" in height shall be ramped...
IBC, ADASAD and ANSI Do not apply in CA.

More than likely landings will not be required because the sloped surface is going between 2 floor areas, the floor areas would qualify landings the separate landings would not be required.
They would if it's a straight shot in but you also couldn't use the landing space for anything else.

ANSI is not code in CA. Also if there are dropoffs on either side of the sloped walkway they still need to be cane detectable.

ANSI is not code in CA. Also if there are dropoffs on either side of the sloped walkway they still need to be cane detectable.
It is for multifamily. However, I understand CA Accessibility Code is more restrictive. I haven't done enough FHA covered work in CA to know exactly.

Is the detectable dropoff requirement in the CA code, it's not in ANSI.

It is for multifamily. However, I understand CA Accessibility Code is more restrictive. I haven't done enough FHA covered work in CA to know exactly.

Is the detectable dropoff requirement in the CA code, it's not in ANSI.

The OP was about a patio restaurant, so we are not dealing with FHA.
ANSI is NOT the applicable accessibility code in CA. For restaurants, the code is CBC-11B, and the federal accessibility standard is ADA Standards (ADAS) Title III for a non-governmental public facility. Both 11B and ADAS share much of the same language and formatting as ANSI 117.1, but ANSI 117.1 was not adopted as a code to be enforced by local building departments.

It is true that if a slope is less than or equal to 1:20 (5%), it is not a ramp, it is a "walkway", and does not require handrails.
If it is steeper than 1:20 and less than 1:12, it is a ramp, and in CBC 11B -405.7 it requires a 60" long top landing, and a 72" bottom landing (note this is greater than required by ANSI and ADAS). In that scenario total length of a 1:12 ramp plus landings is 5'+6'+6'= 17' long.

If this is a new restaurant patio, then CBC-11B-405.8 requires you to provide handrails, with a couple of exceptions:
CBC-11B-405.8 exc. #3 does not require handrails at curb ramps.
CBC-11B-405.8 exc. #4 does not require handrails at door landings where the ramp run is less than 6" in rise or 72" in length.

Last edited: