• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

This leaning fence was shown to me by an inspector that was there for a swimming pool pre-deck inspection. He had not been to the property prior to the pre-deck. The fence should have generated a correction notice at the pre-gunite inspection but it did not happen.

Resized_20210812_125649(1).jpeg

Resized_20210812_125637.jpeg

The job is a room addition. There's about six junction boxes that will be buried. He hired a "handyman" to do the wiring. I fired the handyman.

20210816_132105.jpg

This thread is always entertaining...I envy you guys out there getting all that fresh air and sunshine at work :)
I always hear that comment from people on the sunny days, but no one tells me they envy me when I have to do inspections in a hurricane or blizzard...

• Haha
Reactions: SDS
Wonder if there's a beam behind that drywall, that would provide support for the 4-ply beam?
Post #4,732

Also looks like the floor joist are without joist hangers and they used friction blocks between the joist cavities, is that still permitted?

The framing is partition walls that divide a large family room, The result is a bedroom/bathroom and smaller family room. None of what has been built is bearing any loads. The floor / ceiling framing was not altered and a large existing beam has an infill wall under it.

2017 NEC 300.3(A) says that single conductors shall only be installed as part of a recognized wiring method from Chapter 3, which basically means in a raceway or as part of a cable.

That is the best code reference I could come up with.

The pictures came from an inspector. Apparently the plans call for a flush beam where the dimensional lumber is below the ceiling. I was told that the original post was a 4"x4" and it bowed. Kinda missed the post base.

65092220919__E846FA3C-B936-4ED9-B92E-191E9237D9B0.jpeg

65092219542__444AB9BA-06E4-4434-94D9-83DC059F142B 2.jpeg

Last edited:
The 2006 IBC requires a 6 inch base. It changes to 4 inches in the 2009 and stays 4 inches in the 2012 in Section 1210.2.1.
2018 IBC 1209.2.1 Floors and Wall Bases

In other than dwelling units, toilet, bathing and shower room floor finish materials shall have a smooth, hard, nonabsorbent surface. The intersections of such floors with walls shall have a smooth, hard, nonabsorbent vertical base that extends upward onto the walls not less than 4 inches (102 mm).

I have a unrelated question but didn't want to start another thread.

We have an out of town project, a large retail store. The building inspector has been a "little over the top" with some of his interpertations of the code. We've played nice and done what he's asked. But today one of the things he failed us for on a final was "install 6" cove base in the restrooms" We'll go ahead and change out the 4" to 6" like he asked but I spent an hour looking in the IBC and can't find any requirement for 6" base. Does this exist or is this something he just likes to see?

Thanks in advance.
2018 IBC 1209.2.1 Floors and Wall Bases

In other than dwelling units, toilet, bathing and shower room floor finish materials shall have a smooth, hard, nonabsorbent surface. The intersections of such floors with walls shall have a smooth, hard, nonabsorbent vertical base that extends upward onto the walls not less than 4 inches (102 mm).

Now that is a first class cover.
And i like the gold colored sheetrock screws securing the panel to the studs. The upper left screw isnt carrying much weight.

The gas connectors on that tankless WH is scary, the connectors on the EMT to sealtite transition look like compression EMT to rigid, so totally wrong, those twisted black cables in background of the panel with the sealtite entering the top raise red flags, are they NM cables or single conductors? The dead front on the ITE panel is a real nice touch, not exactly code gauge metal.