• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What happens if a city approves a deck that seems to violate fire codes

“””The city had the audacity to say I waited until the deck was finished before filing my appeal and the neighbor and his contractor were out a lot of money. Fortunately I could show that I asked for them to investigate the zoning when the framing was in progress. I even said in my email that I was concerned that if building progressed that my neighbor would have to spend a lot of money to make it code compliant.””””

Not the city’s problem if it cost money

If so I would put that out to the citizens of Provo to use as an excuse not to do stuff!!!!

“””The city had the audacity to say I waited until the deck was finished before filing my appeal and the neighbor and his contractor were out a lot of money. Fortunately I could show that I asked for them to investigate the zoning when the framing was in progress. I even said in my email that I was concerned that if building progressed that my neighbor would have to spend a lot of money to make it code compliant.””””

Not the city’s problem if it cost money

If so I would put that out to the citizens of Provo to use as an excuse not to do stuff!!!!

They don't seem to care that I have put out a lot of money trying to fight this nonsense. Are you in Provo?

So Jane, whats up?
Well - that's a depressing story. The State ruled in my favor that my appeal was timely and the day after the ruling the city magically came up with two affidavits from city workers claiming they "couldn't recall" if they had let me see the plans. Even though the "couldn't recall" events don't affect the timing of my appeal the State Ombudsman can't issue an advisory opinion if there is a "dispute of the facts". The city lawyers used this as a tool as they knew the opinion would come down against them. Now I'm waiting for the Board of Appeals hearing which was supposed to be on October 17th but I was informed last night by the city that they've moved it to Nov 19th. I know they're yanking my chain :( Anyhow, right now I need an opinion from a zoning expert - preferably an affordable one. #deckgate2019

Ouch! again close but no cigar yet. What will be will be (smiling). Anyone available to pro bono Jane?
Jane have you inquired with your local bar to pro bono this?

Ohhhhh

Invite all the media to the BOA hearing!!

It is open to the public!!!!

Send out invitations today.

Ohhhhh

Invite all the media to the BOA hearing!!

It is open to the public!!!!

Send out invitations today.

I've actually created a Facebook event - I wish I could get an independent zoning person to look at the zoning and confirm my findings. I'm happy to pay but my pockets aren't very deep:(

I've actually created a Facebook event - I wish I could get an independent zoning person to look at the zoning and confirm my findings. I'm happy to pay but my pockets aren't very deep:(

Has that lawyer group called you back??

All of the Provo zoning regs are online. I'm no expert, but I read through them enough to know that they're poorly written. It's going to take someone a decent amount of time to decipher the code, figure out what part applies, and then how it affects your appeal. It's no little job.

All of the Provo zoning regs are online. I'm no expert, but I read through them enough to know that they're poorly written. It's going to take someone a decent amount of time to decipher the code, figure out what part applies, and then how it affects your appeal. It's no little job.

I think I've pretty much got all the zoning codes listed that apply to my case. The deck fails on 5 of those. Would a professor of construction management be considered an expert?

I think I've pretty much got all the zoning codes listed that apply to my case. The deck fails on 5 of those. Would a professor of construction management be considered an expert?

Sorry there is a joke there,,

Anyway it is possible brief them on the details, if they are not they may know someone

Share the joke :)
So the quest continues and I'm picking your expert brain again! I need to know where to find the Utah State law that encompasses the quote from our local newspaper "According to Utah state law, if there is a contractor on the job, it is his or her responsibility to get the permits and handle the inspections. It is important to understand that “if you hire a contractor and take out the permits yourself, you are liable for the work being done to code and not your contractor,” according to Salt Lake City’s building services website. “This means that if there are corrections to be made in the work, we come back to you, not your contractor. If you hire a contractor, make sure that he takes out the permit and has the inspections done.”

Any help would be appreciated :)

Call the state and ask them to email it to you.

I know this is obvious to you but which office in the State? I've managed to get an expert opinion from the former Property Rights Ombudsman (since the city blocked the current ombudsman) and now I need to gather up more information so my attorney doesn't cost me my whole life!!

Or call salt lake and see if they can direct you to the statue

If there is a contractor on the job, it is his responsibility according to state law to obtain the permit and see to the inspections. Be aware, if you hire a contractor and take out the permits yourself, you are liable for the work being done to code and not your contractor. This means that if there are corrections to be made in the work, we come back to you, not your contractor. If you hire a contractor, make sure that he takes out the permit and has the inspections done. If you have any questions, call the Permits office at 801-535-6000.