• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What happens if a city approves a deck that seems to violate fire codes

So, the latest update is that the "Senator" claimed he was using a contractor on the building certificate but when I called the contractor he said he had refused to do the job. I'm thinking the two guys who built it were not licensed. Do I have any recourse on him doing this?

I do not think you have any standing,

The city or state should

If the city or state requires the actual builder to be licensed or other,,, For that type of work,,,

It seems like the city or state can do something, just a matter will they

I think they will have no option as it is going to BOA and then court. The emails that were obtained show that the city is concerned that no inspections were done and they reached out to my neighbor to get them done. Since inspections are owner driven it is unusual for the city to email the neighbor. My State does require a licensed contractor if it is not your main residence or if it's a rental.

Tricky question. If the HO was directly involved and did at least 50% of the work ... might be ok.

No - he can have a friend do it but these guys were not his friends and I don't think they'd claim to be as they'd have to go to court.

And the "beat" goes on & on. I feel for her but it seems that it will be up to the court to decide and even if they do and issue an order to remove, will he?

Having to and forcing him to may require a sheriff to enforce the court order to comply
Isn't the local press interested in this?

Having to and forcing him to may require a sheriff to enforce the court order to comply
Isn't the local press interested in this?
The local press is sending a fit crew to the BOA hearing so I'm hoping that helps the story gain momentum!

Well - the Staff Report is due from the City today and the BOA appeal is next Thursday. My attorney is preparing to fight them on the timliness as the city said I filed late. He believes there are exceptional circumstances in my case. My attorney also believes that the city don't have a leg to stand on with regards the 11 zoning issues so if we can get the appeal classed as timely then it's easy - I'm pretty sure the city is fighting that with everything they've got. Having said that, even if it all goes my way, it is very difficult to get the city to enforce it's own zoning which seems ridiculous.

Also, my neighbor did not use a licensed contractor even though he named one on his permit. Since it's an investment property the State are investigating that....

Next week will be a stressful one :(

And I guess you have documentation or lack of it, showing the city has done NO inspections?

Is that correct no inspections have been done?

I am wondering if the city takes letters for and against stuff, and reads them into the hearing??

If so, I would like to send one to the city!!!!!!!!!!!!!

73278801_10156084776147255_6577704386183561216_o.jpg