• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

1 hour exterior wall

Great links. Francis, I like the look of that...and framers don't have to baffle the insulation at the edges (though here in CA would prob. need raised heel trusses so the insulation does not get pinched). Looks like a Coravent product but don't see it on their website?
"The edge" vent is a good suggestion for shed roofs too.

North star, I don't know. Walls perp. to property line do not need one hour protection even if closer than 5', which is why I am still unsure about the floor and ceiling joist spaces, per my original post. But if I err on the side of caution and decide to make those spaces comply with 1 hour, how do I do it? There is 2x fireblocking at the exterior of each concealed floor and ceiling joist bay. (either as a rim joist or as structural blocking, which I drew on my attachment)...but that does not fully protect the cavity.
Hello Robert, my question is for your comment above stating "walls perp. to property line do not need one hour protection" as I have this condition and the building official is insisting I continue along the perpendicular walls back to a distance 10' from the property line. Can you show me where I can see this addressed in IBC 2012? Thank you in advance!
Mark

Hello Robert, my question is for your comment above stating "walls perp. to property line do not need one hour protection" as I have this condition and the building official is insisting I continue along the perpendicular walls back to a distance 10' from the property line. Can you show me where I can see this addressed in IBC 2012? Thank you in advance!
Mark

Residential or Commercial

Mark
Fire separation distance in definitions of the 2012 IBC states it is to be measured at right angles from the face of the wall to the line. Although I am new and if I am interpreting this wrong please let me know.

Hi Designpercode....I only can find the applicable section in the CRC (residential)...section R302.1 exception 1 (walls perp. to property line). In commercial (CBC), I'm not finding anything. Please chime in with a code section if commercial has a more stringent requirement as I'm not finding an answer.

Hi Designpercode....I only can find the applicable section in the CRC (residential)...section R302.1 exception 1 (walls perp. to property line). In commercial (CBC), I'm not finding anything. Please chime in with a code section if commercial has a more stringent requirement as I'm not finding an answer.
It appears DMartin may be correct in checking things out. 2012 IBC is specific in definitions as to measuring at right angles. It remains to be seen if the local building official agrees. I also found this description online (attached). Thanks for your help.http://aiaeb.org/2014/08/codessep2014

Sometimes people only remember what they read and never check the current code to see if something changed

2006 IBC
FIRE SEPARATION DISTANCE. The distance measured from the building face to one of the following:
1. The closest interior lot line;
2. To the centerline of a street, an alley or public way; or
3. To an imaginary line between two buildings on the property.

2009 IBC added clarification
FIRE SEPARATION DISTANCE. The distance measured from the building face to one of the following:
1. The closest interior lot line;
2. To the centerline of a street, an alley or public way; or
3. To an imaginary line between two buildings on the property.
The distance shall be measured at right angles from the face of the wall.

2015 IBC with commentary:

FIRE SEPARATION DISTANCE. The distance measured
from the building face to one of the following:
1. The closest interior lot line.
2. To the centerline of a street, an alley or public way.
3. To an imaginary line between two buildings on the lot.
The distance shall be measured at right angles from the
face of the wall.
Fire separation distance is the distance from the exterior
wall of the building to one of the three following
locations, measured perpendicular to the exterior wall
face: an interior lot line
[see Commentary Figure
202(20)]; the centerline of a street or public way [see
Commentary Figure 202(21)]; or an imaginary line
between two buildings on the same property [see
Commentary Figure 202(22)]. The imaginary line can
be located anywhere between the two buildings; it is