• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

Detached six car garage.

DSCN3583-1.jpg

i am not an electrican nor do I do electrical inspections, but it seems to me the white taped conductor should be where the blue one is.

TheCommish said:
i am not an electrican nor do I do electrical inspections, but it seems to me the white taped conductor should be where the blue one is.
The blue labeled conductor should be where the white is now and the white should be on an isolated bus bar. An equipment ground should have been pulled with the feeder.

Well they finally got a lath inspection with the lath installed.

DSCN3616.jpg

Last edited:
A contractor has built a carport without a permit. He called it a termite repair. He won't be eager to do that again.

DSCN3615.jpg

DSCN3611.jpg

It's a good thing that I got there early so I could get them started in the right direction.

DSCN3633.jpg

globe trekker said:
What's going to hold the insulation in place for years, ..eeerrr, hours, to come?
I'd bet they strung the bottom of the joists before they started laying the insulation.

Foggy

Yesterday was slow. I had 6 inspections and a carnival. One of the inspections was a residential fire job. The inspection request said framing and all the roughs. The work wasn't ready for inspection but the foreman asked me to take a look around and give him a heads up if a see any corrections.

Violations flowed like corn through a duck. When I hit 28 I decided to stop or it might look like I unloaded on him.

The contractor called this morning to ask about #11. It said "That's a big NO to the water heater shed."

DSCN3657.jpg

DSCN3658.jpg

DSCN3660.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The contractor called me this morning to request an inspection of a gas pipe that he replaced without a permit. There is no permit because it was an emergency repair. He said he would be in the office within the hour to get a permit. I told him that I would do the inspection.

The pipe is 8" deep and the occupant tells me that there hasn't been gas service for 8 months.

DSCN3665.jpg

They are needlessly stringing this job along.

IMG_0981.jpg

ICE said:
They are needlessly stringing this job along.
IMG_0981.jpg
While strings may work well for insulation, they ain't much for plumbing. Are you suggesting that the plumber was satisfied with the temporary strings?

Foggy

Carnival inspection. The slide is covered with Plexiglas that is coming apart. The hole is a perfect size and shape to remove a hand.

P1000166.jpg

P1000169.jpg

ICE said:
Carnival inspection. The slide is covered with Plexiglas that is coming apart. The hole is a perfect size and shape to remove a hand.
Did you say "rotating knives?"

5-7-12

The man on top is beating the overhang apart with a sledge hammer.

DSCN3757.jpg

DSCN3760.jpg

Back to the water heater....besides B-vent clearance, the PVC discharge pipe, and maybe combustion air (although I can't imagine it being built that tight...)....What else is wrong?

steveray said:
Back to the water heater....besides B-vent clearance, the PVC discharge pipe, and maybe combustion air (although I can't imagine it being built that tight...)....What else is wrong?
The enclosure is attached to the building. As such, it must be built just like any other addition.