• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

Looks like a long run for what is likely to be a higher efficiency appliance... I would have back-drafting and combustion spillage concerns

rfaxrj14a_roof_repair_jacks.jpg

Hope they know how to install these roof jacks!:eek:

Is the receptacle in the side of that service normal?

I have never seen that done like that, could that be a knock-out opening in that location being used for the single receptacle? Seen many a handy box attached to a panel in a basement. Seen a electrical panel dead front cutout and rigged with a duplex receptacle which was nicely done.

Agree with mark's opinion, not usable and not meeting code for lack of GFCI including wet location cover. Could it ever have been a legal install? I think no!

Tiger:

You should make it clear that these terrible electrical installations are done by Solar Contractors, not licensed electricians, California gives them huge advantages so they can use illegal labor and even gives them permit priority pushing legitimate contractors behind them even further. After all, they are "saving the planet".

& = & = &
" Tiger: You should make it clear that these terrible electrical
installations are done by Solar Contractors, not licensed electricians "
He already does, and has been for quite some time.
& = & = &

I have never seen that done like that, could that be a knock-out opening in that location being used for the single receptacle? Seen many a handy box attached to a panel in a basement. Seen a electrical panel dead front cutout and rigged with a duplex receptacle which was nicely done.

Agree with mark's opinion, not usable and not meeting code for lack of GFCI including wet location cover. Could it ever have been a legal install? I think no!
26583006737_8811b43a88_b.jpg

Last edited:
41430881492_b8cca5f95e_b.jpg

A permit and a few inspections would have been a good idea. All of that re-bar standing up is one way to ruin your day.

26583216107_16bee259c0_b.jpg

Last edited:
Nope, it's a mounting screw. I pretty much condemned it all.

Solar companies will attempt to energize darn near anything and then play dumb when I say no.

Thanks for that Tiger, you're a good man. I see this as a license board problem, they never should have allowed solar contractors to do electrical work, I saw a neighbor recently putting larger breakers into his panel, I asked why? He said that ever since the solar panels went on the mains kept blowing so he needed larger breakers, I guess that makes sense, there is a street between us so It shouldn't affect me, other than a lot of soot on my house and yard.

I saw a neighbor recently putting larger breakers into his panel, I asked why? He said that ever since the solar panels went on the mains kept blowing so he needed larger breakers
Increasing the amperage rating of the mains may be a violation. Did the neighbor increase the load? Was it done by a real electrician? We require a permit for that.....and for good reason.

Increasing the amperage rating of the mains may be a violation. Did the neighbor increase the load? Was it done by a real electrician? We require a permit for that.....and for good reason.
I don't think he even knows, a subcontractor of Solar City did it, the fuses started going so he was installing bigger breakers himself.

The average home owner isn’t capable of changing main breakers. Apparently your neighbor knows a thing or two about electrical work. Here’s hoping he doesn’t burn down the house.