• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

The job is an patio cover. The correction stated "Bond the metal that is within five feet of the water's edge." The guy that met me was happy to see me. He does clean work. A tad bit wrong but clean. He's as old as I am and we taught each other few things today. I like when that happens.

45970928984_af341befe9_b.jpg

45780347615_1c22e532d4_b.jpg

39730652193_62393b1280_z.jpg

The paint interrupts the bond. The clamp could be below the level of the concrete.

Last edited:
The house is vacant. The new owner was there for inspection of a PV system and an electrical service upgrade. The water heater has corrections and no permit. I had to tell her to not use it.. She wanted me to explain why the real estate "home" inspector didn't mention the water heater deficiencies.

IMG_3866 2.jpeg

The house is vacant. The new owner was there for inspection of a PV system and an electrical service upgrade. The water heater has corrections and no permit. I had to tell her to not use it.. She wanted me to explain why the real estate "home" inspector didn't mention the water heater deficiencies.

View attachment 3772
Oh my....

The job is a spot repair of a sewer. This is how they left it. The hole was dug three days prior to my visit. How they can be that darned stupid and still be employed escapes me.

46090669594_5fe5f3fcd0_b.jpg

Last edited:
A solar contractor....gosh I hate calling them contractors....I think I'll change it up and call them Solar Entrepreneurs. This SE has a C-10 license so they are allowed to install electric service upgrades. That happened on this job.

I found this at the first inspection:

39850648753_ef80973819_b.jpg

I wrote a correction that stated that the SE can't add any power to this arrangement and Edison will be be told that they can't continue to supply power either. That resulted in a permit to upgrade the service panel. Edison spotted the meter about 50' from the original and that required a meter main with a sub-panel at the original location.

I have been there six times for inspection as the SE stumbled through the forest of codes getting to the last set of corrections. There is a spacious attic and you can see a cable that is a feeder from the main to the sub-panel.

31874118237_f4786e3a36_b.jpg

The next picture shows where the cable enters a conduit. It pokes through the wall and drops four feet to a panel cabinet. The sheath was removed before it entered the enclosure.

46090669884_2156083ba6_z.jpg

The cable disappears beyond duct work and the same violation is repeated at the other end.

On the way it put a load on a duct.

46090670934_081557000d_b.jpg

This sixth visit was the first time that I had access to the inside of the dwelling. The house is vacant and now I met the new owner. The water heater from post 3048 was also found here. I could tell that she was feeling betrayed by the realtors and previous owners....even the inspector that she hired.

The attic is accessed by a pull down stair. She pulled it down. It made an awful noise as the mechanism malfunctioned. Long steel parts bent and twisted. She assumed that this was how it was supposed to operate and forced it to the floor. I was not in the hallway when she did it so I didn't mention the incident. There will be no closing that stair.

This being trip six I was somewhat dismayed with the SE's "chief electrical employee". I have explained all of the defects in detail at five inspections to five not the chief electrical employees.. This time the correction says "NMC is not allowed in a wet location". The SE's CEE asked me what NMC means. I just shook my head and said that the clue is in the wet location part of the correction.

The thing that any of the uninformed public should take away from seeing this is not that it happened. No....the thing to realize is that this happens on a regular basis. This type of work is typical. Did you get that Maam....I said typical and worse. Spend some time in this thread. Look at the dates. It is almost daily. That's because I find this stuff every day that I work. Now ask yourself, what are the odds that the work done on my solar was any different?

Scary huh! Ohhhh! the horror of shoddy work. Fear not hapless homeowner, for the systems aren't failing and burning down the house. Thousands of these outcomes go unnoticed by inspectors but there seems to be no consequence. By the time that the physical degradation of solar components could become dangerous, the panels will be weakened such that they won’t produce enough electricity to matter.

The elephants in the room are the solar manufacturers. From panels to the racking, the least amount of everything has been sought out.
The metal is aluminum. It is exposed to the elements and the Sun. Take a close look at a twenty year old Winnebago that spent it's existence in the desert.

Aluminum expands and contracts and all of the parts rely on an intimate connection to achieve an electrical bond. The installation instructions point out that fact with specific torque values for each bit of hardware. Every nut, bolt and screw. Nobody pays attention to that......they never use a torque wrench or driver. They do not have any.

C-taps are used everywhere they can. C-taps should be banned. I pull them off with one hand.

Numbers 8 and 6 bare copper wire is used to bond panels and racking here and there. The bare copper is in direct contact with aluminum components such as panel frames. It will take a few years for the copper to melt it's way into the panel but it will happen. When it does there may not be enough current flow due to poor bonding to trip a breaker. It might wait for a person to complete a circuit.

In twenty years there will be a new genera of Solar Entrepeneur They will be in the business of removing PV and safe disposal. They will be busy.

Last edited:
Those Safe-T-Switches and blue wire nut look familiar. Is that the same furnace from post #3037?
Yes it is the same furnace...and I must say that I am surprised that you remembered the first picture. People can do some amazing things.

At the initial inspection I wrote a correction asking for a single wall to B vent adapter. It looked like B vent was sticking out of the ceiling and naturally a single wall vent would not be legitimate concealed in a wall. However, a closer look at the picture has me wondering if the vent at the ceiling is B vent after all.

I am going to contact the company and suggest that they have someone present for the next inspection so we can get to the bottom of this.

Here is what I am talking about. Obviously it is the original venting but it just seems wrong enough to get it corrected.

45945807975_6c3b77d157_b.jpg

This is the second time that a car took out the bollards....hit the wall and brought the gas station to a standstill. It will be a month getting back to selling fuel. The bollards are worthless because there is a bank of conduits in the way of a footing.

31935542417_a6cc21bbdc_b.jpg

The tiles were removed on the plane of roof that has PV. Rolled roofing has been applied. The pv has been installed and the tiles around the perimeter have been placed. There’s no tiles under the array. This is a common approach to mounting PV.

31981210737_2faf788524_b.jpg

The bird stop has been left in place. The bird stop has small weep holes. That's because tile roofs might get some moisture under the tiles. Some moisture is way different than a flow which is what can be expected with the new setup. Eventually all of the flow will find a way out.....that is unless the weep holes get plugged with trash, junk and debris. Even as an open weep hole, a few hours of steady rain will overburden the weep holes and water might do what water does.

31981210847_d42ea61b2f_b.jpg

I have mentioned this to several solar companies but they continue....I'm pretty sure they know something that I don't.

Last edited:
The tiles were removed on the plane of roof that has PV. Rolled roofing has been applied. The pv has been installed and the tiles around the perimeter have been placed. There’s no tiles under the array. This is a common approach to mounting PV.

WHAT?.....They don't waterproof the roof for the sake of PV? I don't imagine there is a good waterproofing transition detail from roll roof to tile....

How do you go from tile roof to roll roofing and back to tile roof? Need to see that design.

Has this system been tested? ICE you have some ligament concerns with the weeps.

I would think the tile to roll roofing would be ok, if the tile laps far enough ovef the start of the roll material. On the down hill side, one would hope the roll material goes all the way to the drip edge, and the tiles are just decoration. Probably not. The bird stop on the bottom ... you suppose they added some at the new intermediate tile openings? Just kidding.