• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

After all we have been through together, they actually thought that I would walk the planks. And oh did they sag when the kid crossed over.

48899762657_0646a349f6_b.jpg

It wasn't a month ago that I advised them on impalement protection. I guess they will need a live demonstration before it sinks in.

48899808197_ee9c3d30a4_b.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t see the problem. Everyone knows if the ends of the wires are not more than 1/3” from the connection ... the lectrizity jumps the gap. I saw that on angies list, must be true.

#3660, That's pretty bad ICE. I looked at the first picture an thought that wire looks like its to large for the lug , then I saw the second picture and confirmed my suspicion.

This might be difficult to fix. It is the power to a kitchen island with a slab on grade. The contractor said, "But it is in a conduit."

48921441031_bff2314b38_b.jpg

Last edited:
The job is a kitchen remodel. I was there for the final inspection. There are corrections. When I asked to see the service panel the owner asked me if I would tell Edison to hook up the power. I told her that I don't tell Edison to energize .....only de-energize. So I took a look at the service drop and sure enough, Edison didn't hook it up. As it turns out the service was replaced about four years ago and it was never released to Edison. This took place on a Friday so I haven't looked at the address file to know if a permit was issued. I hope so.....and not just issued, but with a final approval as well.

48924971966_57bf8b7b0e_b.jpg

48924437093_f13eda5fff_b.jpg

I see couple each month.

48925156881_8cffb37a4b_b.jpg

48924620118_1c3073f2ef_b.jpg

Last edited:
Does that mean they have not had power for 4 years?
The pictures show temporary connections of Edison’s service drop to the service entrance conductors. That is a technical code violation.....the service equipment is not supposed to be energized until it is approved. People can’t be without power while waiting for inspection and then waiting for Edison to hook it up. The practice makes it easy to spot bootleg panels.

The same technicality applies to water heaters and a furnace/air conditioner. Those are always in use before I perform an inspection and sometimes not after.

Last edited:
I dont understand what you’re showing.
The picture is NMC in a conduit that is buried under a slab. Conduit underground is a wet location. NMC is not allowed in a wet location. Pulling NMC into a conduit is difficult so I would imagine that pulling it out of a conduit is equally difficult. Such a mistake makes me leery of the entire installation. That's not welcome ....especially with a 9,000 square foot main house, guest house and pool house. The project has taken five years and I came in after it was mostly completed.

Last edited:
At the third or fourth inspection I made a correction to thicken the slab where it meets the existing. I say third or fourth because the first was just a hole.
And so he did that.....better than anyone has ever done.

48930533451_95613842d9_b.jpg

Then I noticed that the Visqeen seemed to be self supporting.

48930533696_205fe452d4_b.jpg

The work is being done by the owner. The owner is a computer engineer.

Last edited:
The picture is NMC in a conduit that is buried under a slab. .
Thats what I thought, just wanted to be sure. So could they run individual THHN conductors?
I was managing a commercial project, gc was ... of questionable ethics ... the electrician ran an orange extension cord to a couple of in-slab outlets. He cut off the plug and socket, thought i wouldn't notice.