• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

The permit states "pool remodel, add spa". That did happen under suspicious circumstances. I am not yet convinced that any inspections took place until I was sent for a "foundation" inspection.

The foundation turned out to be a concrete slab in the back yard surrounding the pool/spa. The only purview that I have over such flat-work has to do with the equipotential bonding grid. It was Greek to him too.

I was handed a deputy inspection report for the doweling of the slab steel into the house footing. First of all, we don't inspect or usually require permit for such work, and secondly, we don't require a deputy inspection of rebar dowels. I did not mention that but I did ask how he came to the conclusion that a deputy inspection was called for.

I should mention that this is an owner builder permit and I was dealing with the owner....well he explained that the workers told him that epoxy work always requires deputy inspection.

49254139158_e87b467e62_b.jpg

49254810212_12383eb4e1_b.jpg

I pointed out the fact that the retaining wall has no footing to which he replied, "That is an existing wall and was approved years ago." I assured him that he could keep it but that I recommend a retrofit. I then asked about the next two walls. He said that the upper wall was existing and the middle wall was built recently. I asked about plans, permit and inspections and he said that he had nothing. I asked him why he built the 8' retaining wall without us ......he said that the workers told him he didn't need any of that.

He then told me that he has many pictures of the progress of the construction. My immediate thought is ...you knew. That's always an unspoken assumption. Unspoken because just the presence of pictures does not prove guilt. Then he said that the pictures have a tape measure showing width, depth, clearances etc.

Been there done that. The managers will look at the pictures and if there are no visible corrections worth pursuing, approve the work. So as to making assumptions, I figure that the guy has done this previously and gotten away with it to one degree or another. Perhaps he skated completely or he had to get permits after the fact. Whichever, he did come out ahead of the game.

I am not aware of his background. He might be a contractor, architect. engineer or porpoise. I should put the word slippery in front of those choices.

The man has the wherewithal to do this and suffered an awful lapse in judgement. The deeper i dig into this the more likely it will cause a lengthy delay....might be swimming by this time next year.

Last edited:
This overhang is at the entrance to a restaurant. I was on the roof of another building far away. I didn't understand what I was seeing until I got the picture into a computer. I doubt that there was an inspection of the sign.

49274773376_0a137e0dae_b.jpg

I could recommend improvements.

49274980177_094e23ec4f_c.jpg

We used to require a furnace to be hard wired with a disconnect. That was in the old days. I suppose the Admin. tired of hearing the complaints from the HVAC contractors that installed a cord and attachment plug because the policy was changed to allow that. Yes I know that the furnace was not Listed with a cord and plug, but hey now, so does the Admin.

Ok so we allow it, but it shall be 12 AWG conductor or larger. I hear from contractors that such cord and plug whips are not available. Well just because they are not on your truck doesn't mean that they can't be found.

This guy had this stuff available:

49274860476_c9b3cbc8a6_b.jpg

49274397783_2f991a0710_b.jpg

It depends on which direction you are facing. Had I been on the other side there would be no missing KO. Odds are 50-50 that even if I were performing an inspection I would miss the missing KO.

Does an outlet with a metal box and metal face plate have to meet the same requirements as a switch, 404.9 (b)?

I'm starting to run into this plug instead of a disconnecting switch here, I'm being told it's in case the power goes off they can plug the furnace into a portable generator by way of an extension cord. Are you letting them install it with a duplex receptacle?

Hopefully it a 12/g or larger extension cord.

Plugging into a generator is a good idea, had not thought of that. But shouldn’t it have a proper faceplate?

The stairs are temporary but this is supposed to be the final location of the stairs. I asked the owner why the window is where it is. She said that the window is per plan. I said that it's a poor location and she said that she wanted to move it around the corner but the inspector wouldn't allow that unless the plans were redrawn along with new engineering. The expense and time delay convinced her to grin and bear it.

49284465382_e8a2aed778_b.jpg

Last edited:
Bad window placement or stair placement!

Shouldn't the OSB sheeting go over the rim as a full sheet and not be pieced in?

Does an outlet with a metal box and metal face plate have to meet the same requirements as a switch, 404.9 (b)?

I'm starting to run into this plug instead of a disconnecting switch here, I'm being told it's in case the power goes off they can plug the furnace into a portable generator by way of an extension cord. Are you letting them install it with a duplex receptacle?

Hopefully it a 12/g or larger extension cord.
The metal box does need to be grounded. The generator and furnace story is a new excuse. Is there a reason to disallow a duplex receptacle?

Last edited:
Is there a reason to disallow a duplex receptacle?
Yes, but maybe does not apply here. If you have two appliances close together, and each requires a dedicated circuit, if its a duplex outlet its possible both could be plugged into the same circuit. With two single outlets theres a better chance of correct connection.

Yes, but maybe does not apply here. If you have two appliances close together, and each requires a dedicated circuit, if its a duplex outlet its possible both could be plugged into the same circuit. With two single outlets theres a better chance of correct connection.
These are small closets with a furnace and maybe a condensate pump but nothing more.

Last edited:
I wish I knew where I could apply for this pension you continue to mention, thirty years with the same outfit......shirley I would qualify.......;);)

I had to tell the contractor to use the water main as an electrode.

49296249708_2d7e7f08d1_b.jpg

Then I had to tell him how..

49296249263_c0ff203126_b.jpg

Last edited: