• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

So.. what column and method from table 300.5 would address this application?

Ridged nonmetallic raceway below a sidewalk?

Service to ADU size?

So.. what column and method from table 300.5 would address this application?

Ridged nonmetallic raceway below a sidewalk?

Service to ADU size?
Column 3 ....under minimum 4" thick concrete slab....so it is deep enough.....however it is NMC that is not allowed in a wet location......the conduit is schedule 40 and shall be schedule 80 where it is above ground...the conduit is too small in diameter for the eventual conductors.....the pull box is too small and shall be inset into the wall.

This was installed on the main dwelling to support a detached adu. The contractor said that the Zinsco was there all along with a meter next to it on the left. He said that he can't reach the breakers.

The panel is at the detached ADU.

This was a virtual inspection. He kept repeating that inspector &*$%#@ approved what we see. In as much as this was my first exposure to this mess I told him that I will not have anything to do with this job.

20201007_141707.jpeg

IMG_201007142035316.jpeg

Last edited:
All I see is a big cluster____ that Zinsco looks like it was cut off the bottom of a semi-flush underground panel, removing the underground pull box, metering section, and don't ever see a way to use them (of any make) as anything other then service equipment because of the permanently bonded neutral usually found in them, in addition the site mod/hack of the Zinsco panel.

200amp panel also has a #10 and a #12 neutral wire under the same lug and three grounding wires under the same lug, both would need to be verified that the panel allows that, should be a sticker in the panel.

Walk this way!.. walk this way!....

NOT AN ELECTRICAL INSPECTOR BUT LEARN A LITTLE THRU OSMOSIS. DON'T SEE ANY FASTENERS IN THE THE PROVIDE SPOTS AND THE PANEL CAN'T BE RESESSSED IN THE THE WALL.

We are told by supervisors that when the scope of work is a service panel upgrade and nothing more than that.....it means exactly that and we are not allowed to ask about anything else....such as a sub-panel. In keeping with their wishes I always ask/inspect sub-panels. This is in a garage. There is a 60 amp breaker on the other end of that power cord.

The same supervisors have an issue with requiring GFCI protection for pool pump motors when a service is replaced. As recently as today I heard them say "Why isn't the GFCI recptacle at the pool equipment protection enough"

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-08 at 1.00.25 PM(1) 2.jpeg

The job was done by a solar company. They reused an abandoned roof jack.

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-08 at 12.06.19 PM.jpeg

Last edited:
- - - >

There are quite a few anchor bolts missing from the existing
sole plates........The tripled floor joists appear to be fully
un-attached \ un-supported [ i.e. - the wrong type of joist
hanger ].......Have the drain lines been pressure tested for
leaks ?

< - - -

Well there's nuts and washers. The anchor bolts are at the mud sill.

Image_2 2020-10-09_12-26-22.jpeg

Last edited:
Is that strap on the beam there to help support the mid span splice?
The mid-span splice was the reason that I posted the picture. The work is being done by an electrical contractor that owns the property. He said that the girders came in 16' lengths.... he didn't want to buy extra so he didn't cut them.

Image_3 2020-10-09_12-26-22.jpeg

The mid-span splice was the reason that I posted the picture.

Depending on the distance to the next pier, he might have the lap backwards. Looks like the closest pier is to the right, and the right side beam laps over the left one. (Judging by grain pattern in the wood).

What is the depressed area for? Roll-in shower?

The mid-span splice was the reason that I posted the picture.

Depending on the distance to the next pier, he might have the lap backwards. Looks like the closest pier is to the right, and the right side beam laps over the left one. (Judging by grain pattern in the wood).

What is the depressed area for? Roll-in shower?
A lap splice in the girder requires an engineers approval....same for the cantilever at the ends.

The depressed area is a shower on the plans.

Is this a virtual inspection?

Is the depressed area, is it within 18-inches of grade?

Also I can't see any grade stamps from the picture, all the grade stamps are perfectly in line and must be facing the other way? looks like #2 and better?

Is the depressed area, is it within 18-inches of grade?

Also I can't see any grade stamps from the picture, all the grade stamps are perfectly in line and must be facing the other way? looks like #2 and better?
What does 18” have to do with the framing?
I zoomed in to both pictures ... interesting ... I didn’t see any grade stamps. Would have expected to see at least one.

What does 18” have to do with the framing?
I zoomed in to both pictures ... interesting ... I didn’t see any grade stamps. Would have expected to see at least one.
Because joists closer than 18" to the ground have to be pressure treated.

R317.1 Location Required
Protection of wood and wood-based products from decay shall be provided in the following locations by the use of naturally durable wood or wood that is preservative-treated in accordance with AWPA U1 for the species, product, preservative and end use. Preservatives shall be listed in Section 4 of AWPA U1.
  1. Wood joists or the bottom of a wood structural floor when closer than 18 inches (457 mm) or wood girders when closer than 12 inches (305 mm) to the exposed ground in crawl spaces or unexcavated area located within the periphery of the building foundation.
  2. ....