• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

One way valve? I thought the anti-siphon device on hose bibbs solved that problem.
Where do you find a 10v detector.
The handrighting looks familiar.

I don't recall any place that requires a dedicated lighting circuit? Nor a dedicated wall receptacle circuit for that matter except for the kitchen.
That inspector is a pathological liar and he makes up code. Sometimes to torture and sometimes it’s just to satisfy his penchant to lie.

Last edited:
Ya, that's not your handwriting, and you use words I have to look up!

I analyzed the handwriting and this person suffers from IwantablikeICE syndrome!

The job was a detached ADU. It is a flat lot in a neighborhood that was built out fifty years ago. The inspector has required drainage plan with elevations ... because he was torturing the contractor.

IMG_8857.JPG

I was looking at bogus corrections (not mine) when I discovered one of my own failures. This correction (not mine) is for poly gas pipe. It states that the tracer wire shall be a minimum 18awg. That is not correct and the minimum tracer wire for a poly gas pipe is 14awg.

IMG_0002 2.JPG

Here is the code section for the tracer wire for poly gas pipe.

Screen Shot 2023-12-04 at 9.07.16 AM.png

Now on to my failure. When a water main supply pipe is changed from metal to plastic, I always make sure that there is a compliant grounding electrode system. So far, so good. What I have never done is require a tracer wire for the plastic pipe. Here is the code section for that:

Screen Shot 2023-12-04 at 9.05.16 AM.png

Note the black bar on the left. That tells you that the code changed from the last cycle. The change was the minimum wire size. Previous versions of the CPC required an 18awg wire and now it is 14awg. I can guarantee that any inspector that asks for the tracer wire will be the only inspector to ask for the tracer wire.

Last edited:
This correction was written in 2019. Apparently the inspector removes the alarms to find the date of manufacture and then requires that they be manufactured no earlier than 2014. Also required is a CO2 "device".

IMG_4218.JPG