• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

That’s funny.
But that’s a serious situation. What’s going to happen with the non-ul rating?

Here’s the rub: the machines are not UL Listed. That means that the machines are not legal for use in the USA until UL evaluates and approves the machines.
What's the code reference for requiring the machines to be listed? And to what listing standard? (Genuinely curious.)

Thanks,
Wayne

What's the code reference for requiring the machines to be listed? And to what listing standard? (Genuinely curious.)

Thanks,
Wayne
Twenty years later, I recall not too much of it. The totes were being shipped to Brazil. What became of the factory escapes me. I doubt that Chris‘s memory is any better.

As for the code section, I’m going to the donut store for a lotto ticket…but I suppose that if it exists, you don’t need me to find it. Does it have to be from a 2003 code book? I can’t do that.

Just because you asked... I recognize my shortcomings... I will surmise that there is no such code reference to provide…. Now to explain why I have relied on Listings for decades. I did get a chocolate eclair.

Last edited:
I'd guess the Tesla gigapresses are also not labeled or listed, though the controls may be - UL 508A? something like that. The electric hoist I specified for stage rigging were rarely a labeled piece of gear as they were all custom, but the control panels were assembled in a UL 508A shop. (Not sure it's 508A - spec language from 5+ years ago.)

Thanks,
Wayne
90.7 Examination of Equipmentf or Safety. For specific items of equipment and materials , examinations for safety made under standard conditions provides basis for approval where the record is made generally available through promulgation by organizations properly equipped and qualified for experimental testing, inspections-of the run of goods at factories,and service-value determination through field inspections. This avoids the repetition of examinations by……..

(B) Installation and use. Equipment that’s listed, labeled, or both shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling.

110.2Approval. The conductors and equipment required or permitted by this Code shall be acceptable only if approved. Informational Note: See90.7, Examination of Equipment for Safety, and 110.3, Examination, Identification, Installation, and Use of equipment. See definitions of approved, Identified, Labeled, and Listed.

Listing is mentioned hundreds of times in the NEC…. Well maybe not hundreds, but a lot. From panic hardware to luminaires, it’s all Listed.

When it comes to machinery there can be issues. I encountered tissue paper rewinders from Italy that lacked a Listing. ETL sat there for days. I wonder if the ETL people spoke Italian. A 12,000 volt transformer for oil fields was field evaluated and then I found a handful of corrections. That was disconcerting. I put plenty of distance between me and the transformer once it was energized.

When I worked in a city with plenty of warehouse space, a number of small factory / machine shops moved in. They relocated mills, lathes, drill press, band saws, brakes etc. Sometimes it came without labels. What then? The operator doesn’t have an extra $50k to get UL to perform a field evaluation on a bunch of old equipment.

Wonderful, you own a truss roller from the sixties…. I need a comfort level before I approve the electric service. A company with its act together and willing to invest in safety could get that level. Some were, “You bumped your head when you hauled in this mess. Yes, I know what a lease means.”

Ya know, OSHA has a role in all of this…. And not just approving NRTLs. Of course I can barely handle the codes much less keep up with OSHA. Yes Sir, OSHA has a thing for a well listed workplace.

Last edited:
90.7 Examination of Equipmentf or Safety. For specific items of equipment and materials , examinations for safety made under standard conditions provides basis for approval where the record is made generally available through promulgation by organizations properly equipped and qualified for experimental testing, inspections-of the run of goods at factories,and service-value determination through field inspections. This avoids the repetition of examinations by……..

(B) Installation and use. Equipment that’s listed, labeled, or both shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling.

110.2Approval. The conductors and equipment required or permitted by this Code shall be acceptable only if approved. Informational Note: See90.7, Examination of Equipment for Safety, and 110.3, Examination, Identification, Installation, and Use of equipment. See definitions of approved, Identified, Labeled, and Listed.
So there is the rub on that....If it is not "building" equipment, does our authority end at the disconnect?

The location is the Yorba Linda Ca. Library/Town center parking lot. Noon on a sunny Friday. I suppose I didn't need to mention "sunny". Probably 150 cars in the lot. There is room for 15 EVs... two are hooked up. I didn't get close enough to see what the city wants to juice your ride. They're gonna be in the red until at least 2099.

20231020_133526.jpg

Then there's the five "CLEAN AIR" stalls. The only redeeming part of that is the stalls are at the farthest point away from the building so the driver gets to breathe polluted air longer than us DIRTY AIR drivers.

CLEAN AIR …. parking stalls has to be the most asinine idea the Green lobby has come up with. Here it is Clean Air….elsewhere I have seen “Green”. Who drives a green car? Gremlins came in green.

20231020_133517 2.jpg
#Tesla, #EV, #EVcharger

Last edited:
And none appear to be accessible ...
That's another bunch of empty stalls at the front door. The lot is big enough for 300 cars and 30% is off limits to 99% of the drivers.

That 30% cost more to create than the remaining 70%. It's your money.

Last edited:
Cost to park + cost to charge.
$35 to charge a dead Model S with a range, according to Tesla, of about 320 to 405 miles. $170 for my gasoline powered truck with almost a 500 mile range, and I have towing capacity…. Like that matters…. And it does matter, it’s not some sissyfied Electric Vehicle. :cool: But oh my goodness those rides are fast.. it’s an E-ticket all the way. My truck gives them a run for it but I don’t like to abuse it without cause.

500 miles. Well that’s what the truck tells me and it knows how I drive. Clearly the EV is a better deal….. untill the truth comes out. I bet I would be high and dry at 200 miles… I know how I drive. So even with that, the EV looks good… until you factor in the tickets and impound charges. That is how I would drive a Model S. My brother-in-law has a Tesla so I know what I speak of. And kid you not, he lets his wife drive it.

My cousin told a story of a vacation they took to Nevada. The wife was driving and he was dozing off when the car slowed down. He said, “You notice things like a car losing a bunch of speed all at once. So I Looked at the speedometer and it was pegged over 120mph”. I dislike riding in a car driven by somebody that’s not me.

Last edited:
The guy looks like the HO with his wife's apron. The nifty tool assortment and he's gonna use channel lock pliers on the nice shiny pipe. I've not seen many plumbers that didn't have scarred knuckles. One tattoo could have thrown me off. Did I mention the shirt?

How about the size of the insta-hot for a basin?

Who helps these people make these ads and does the contractor look at it before signing the check?

On a positive note, the actor is possibly a nice person. With his documented construction experience he’s a candidate for an inspector position.

Last edited: