• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

The job is a complete rewire and a service upgrade. The contractor hasn't been there for a while. The request for inspection stated rough electrical. They came up way short on the number of receptacles per the spacing rules. I wish there was a way to stop them from leaving energized equipment wide open for days on end.

17292708202_0e103ac581_b.jpg

Last edited:
A solar contractor is doing a service upgrade. Now I can understand the tall mast.....Edison might not replace the drop so it may be for naught. What I don't get is there is no flashing. The roofer told me that he will cut the boot to fit it around the conduit.

17130614099_836e129dc3_b.jpg

Last edited:
ICE said:
The job is a complete rewire and a service upgrade. The contractor hasn't been there for a while. The request for inspection stated rough electrical. They came up way short on the number of receptacles per the spacing rules. I wish there was a way to stop them from leaving energized equipment wide open for days on end.
They're lost.

Brent.

I was on the property to inspect a carnival when I was asked about this. I know that there is a permit for a tower repair and that's all that I know.

17324687182_00d60c7542_b.jpg

17326549505_8411ebb86f_b.jpg

I do know that I'm not looking forward to climbing scaffold that's held together with baling wire.

16704078544_8752344fc3_b.jpg

Last edited:
"I do know that I'm not looking forward to climbing scaffold that's held together with baling wire."

And apparently cloth strip bow ties too.

Flipper is at it again. There is a service upgrade mounted over a hole in the wall.

17139100950_fef77d61f9_b.jpg

The workman swears up and down that there's nothing to see in the hole.

17139102510_f8f0771912_b.jpg

I asked him why the wire is taped and he told me that the sheath stops there because that cable used to be in a recessed enclosure and since I wrote a correction about them bringing power through the back of the panel, they had to go to the junction box. Okay, so why are the conductors taped, I ask. He says that the insulation on those wires is so brittle and busted up that they had to tape it. So I said "Well there you go. There's more to see in that hole than you realized."

17138872318_83f90f5ebd_b.jpg
Flipper hired this contractor to doll up the house. They replaced all of the receptacles but didn't provide arc fault protection. There were four messed up panels.

Flipper called the office manager to complain about me. I was there at the time. I told him that the deficiencies were a result of his business decision, not a fault of mine. His big problem was that I waited until the end to tell him that he must have AFCI. I pointed out that we have not spoken previously....ever....and I told his so-called contractor at the first inspection. Of course he will go over the top when he finds out that the panel must be moved.....and I explained that to the contractor before he did that work too.

When I found out that they mounted this enclosure over a hole I wrote the usual correction, so they did this. The wires don't come through the back but the hole is still there. The contractor said that he will talk to Flipper and let him know that the price just went up. He said it in a way that was a warning to me that I am costing Flipper more money and he will pitch a bitch.

I plugged in a GFCI tester in the kitchen and when I tried to remove it the outlet box came out of the wall. Of course that's another delayed correction which is my fault. Flipper is watching his dollars fly away and he wants to take it out on me.

The contractor blamed Flipper for the deficiencies. He told me that he know electricity inside and out but Flipper makes him cut corners. Every time he does any work there are more cut corners. Like flipper told him not to use wet location wire nuts in the j-box or put a bonding bushing on the close nipple.

Last edited:
17130025437_0aa5010cc9_b.jpg

This is what you get when solar contractors do a service upgrade. I made them remove the lath so that I could know what they did to bond the service entrance conduit. And sure enough it's bonded to a knockout ring.

When I see the sawdust and wood I think, "You guys are slugs". I know it is due to my upbringing and I should tolerate the trash better than I do.

Last edited:
The bedsheets are hiding a toilet.

17311496376_f4a4a20a54_b.jpg

17337085121_7d39c10122_b.jpg

17311502796_87cbfa91a1_b.jpg

I'm not sure what happened here. There is no header plate and it looks like they might have taken a part from an old wall furnace.

Last edited:
The complaint says, "Unsafe structure being built." It is 116 square feet. At a bible school campus. It covers half of a city block. There was nobody there.

17151247059_d6563fff56_b.jpg

They've already hung the door.

Last edited:
This is a contractor's work. At least he didn't deny that there's a hole in the wall.

16750803064_45b601239c_b.jpg

Last edited:
This was presented by a General contractor. He originally took out an electrical permit for a service upgrade and a plumbing permit to replace a hose bibb. The plumbing permit is a sham permit because we will not issue single electrical, plumbing or mechanical permits to General contractor. We will issue any two as long as they are not related to the same scope of work. For example a mechanical permit for a furnace and an electrical permit for a disconnect for that furnace will not be allowed. However a permit for a furnace and an electrical permit for a service upgrade is legal.

The BS comes into this when there is a permit for something that we do not require permit for such as a replacing a hose bibb. When this contractor called for a time frame for his first inspection, I told him to get a licensed contractor to pull an electrical permit for the service upgrade before calling for inspection. Instaed of doing that he came in the next day and pulled a permit for a water heater replacement. I was there at the time.

17347401706_6e74d7a610_b.jpg

17373011301_fdeac6118d_b.jpg

They are truly dumb enough to think that I will not notice that the water heater is twenty years old.

Last edited:
Flipper got ahead of himself on this one. There was no shower liner inspection. He pointed out the fact that "Well it's there....you can see it at the drain".

17187104369_cb84bd401e_b.jpg

I have never understood putting a light and a fan in a shower stall. I don't think these guys did either.

17185532928_743a182987_b.jpg

Last edited:
The best part was when they asked me what was wrong. There is a building permit to drywall a bathroom....and they gutted the house. Re-plumbed, re-wired, new duct-furnace-A/C. The drywall is all hung without any rough inspections. And they asked me what was wrong.

ICE said:
This here's a double no shlt footing/slab inspection.
You probably missed it cause it's kinda hard to see, but there's a gas meter in the middle of the formwork.

Don't feel bad. After a few years of experience you will learn to pick up some of the less than obvious violations.

Brent.

MASSDRIVER said:
You probably missed it cause it's kinda hard to see, but there's a gas meter in the middle of the formwork. Don't feel bad. After a few years of experience you will learn to pick up some of the less than obvious violations.

Brent.
In my defense, I did catch the electric panel.

The lath was installed at the first inspection. I asked them to remove the lath. They acted like I was off base. I can't get a good picture because of the narrow space but you can see that the service is next to a window.

17209145339_223f84c55d_b.jpg

There's two studs next to the window so I assume they are a trimmer and king. They are spaced a little wide but there are no other studs to the left of these two for at least eight inches.

16772853744_4b4ecc6cca_b.jpg

Here is what's left of the studs. I stuck my hand behind the stucco and it's nothing but air.

17207787450_0fde30a118_b.jpg

I should really be sticking somebody else's hand behind the stucco huh.

Toy

Last edited:
ICE said:
Some people shouldn't have a dog. At least he's getting enough to eat.

Do you remember the video of the bulldog that would take skateboards away from kids and skate on down the boulevard?

Another guy in a dress. And probably just as nuts as the one we have here.

http://www.wimp.com/places-planet/
Although some of us may very well be nuts, that dude is demonstrably sane and well adjusted, proven by his affinity for kilts, bagpipes, Star Wars (duh) and FIRE.

Rock on kilted pyro, rock on.

Brent