• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

I understand that it's a hazardous location; my question is why he won't allow tempered glass?

SECTION R308

GLAZING

R308.1 Identification. Except as indicated in Section

R308.1.1 each pane of glazing installed in hazardous locations

as defined in Section R308.4 shall be provided with a

manufacturer’s designation specifying who applied the designation,

designating the type of glass and the safety glazing

standard with which it complies, which is visible in the final

installation. The designation shall be acid etched, sandblasted,

ceramic-fired, laser etched, embossed, or be of a type

which once applied cannot be removed without being

destroyed. A label shall be permitted in lieu of the manufacturer’s

designation.

Exceptions:

1. For other than tempered glass, manufacturer’s designations

are not required provided the building official

approves the use of a certificate, affidavit or

other evidence confirming compliance with this

code.

2. Tempered spandrel glass is permitted to be identified

by the manufacturer with a removable paper

designation

fw. said:
I understand that it's a hazardous location; my question is why he won't allow tempered glass?
When the window is broken the glass will shatter into small pieces. Most of it will fall out of the frame. The perimeter gasket will hold a rim of jagged glass. So I can envision an arm or leg stuck through the window frame and being cut by that ring of tempered glass that didn't fall out of the frame.

Well you say, "That is always the case"..... And you are correct and yet I allow tempered glazing in most locations. In fact all locations up until now. This just looks like a horrible accident waiting to happen.

Not everything is addressed by a code.

Ice said "Tempered or not it has got to go." and "Not everything is addressed by a code." The location of the window is addressed by code and tempered glazing is allowed. Sorry Ice but, I have to disagree with you here. GPE

georgia plans exam said:
Ice said "Tempered or not it has got to go." and "Not everything is addressed by a code." The location of the window is addressed by code and tempered glazing is allowed. Sorry Ice but, I have to disagree with you here. GPE
I'm okay with that. Really I am. I go outside the code now and then. I realize that by the strict letter of the law I could be overturned with no argument. However, sometimes there are circumstances that beg for intervention. Stuff like this window makes my skin crawl. Beyond that, it looks so stupid that they are not questioning that correction.....nor are they asking about the other 27 corrections.

This window is at a job that I posted earlier. They have 950 sq. ft of addition that they roofed and insulated without rough inspections first. The engineer did a structural observation and they figured that if an engineer is good with it, a mere inspector can't be saying anything about it. The engineers report said as much. When I then told them to remove the roofing and insulation for inspection they went to the top elected official and pitched a bitch. Well I was on the carpet and had to convince the official that a mere inspector can trump an engineer.

They did remove the roofing and insulation. It took me one hour and thirty four minutes to come, write and go. One of their complaints was that I wasn't helpful. This job is a raised foundation and that work generated a bunch of corrections too. This time I explained every last detail of every correction.

16373349933_d27ffc0d10_b.jpg

The roof to wall transition came in a bucket. Same for the boots for the plumbing vents.

16967491366_7f3fd91587_b.jpg

Somehow I don't think that moving that window is such a big deal for them.

A year ago this owner, did I mention that the owner took out the permits and hired his brother who is a contractor to oversee the work. Yes the brother sets up mobile homes. Is that a legitimate contractor classification?

Where was I? Oh ya the owner, last year he had solar installed on the roof. He had just completed a bootleg service upgrade. There was a Type 1R panel outside for the service and the solar contractor landed his solar right there without batting an eye. Okay, Okay, so it's a 1R that was so completely effed up that I wouldn't let him and his brother touch it. The solar company tossed in the towel and had to be replaced with an outfit that has tools.

Now these same neophytes are tackling a two story addition. I end up in trouble because they went to see some guy that's on TV once a month. When I think about that I get an itch to make them move the stairs instead of the window.

Last edited:
for pic in post #1405:

1. Line & load conductors scrambled

2. 2 black cables going out of fuse disconnect box through bottom hole, red/black through the back of the box; need color match on conductors.

3. "Smurf tube" ring out box back does not close the knockout opening around the cable and does not clamp the cable to the box.

4. Lock ring on bottom conduit not seated to box.

5. Neutral (white) cut off end not capped.

6. 4 wire cable in with 3 wire circuit out; if power in (line) originates in subpanel, then 4 wire out required unless the appliance has zero 115v use (need verified by product info)

7. Fuse disconnect may need neutral bar isolated from case if power in cable originates from subpanel.

8. May be others, can't see the fuse rating and fuse types for match to wire size and load.

Flipper owns this one. The scope of work was a kitchen remodel and new light fixtures, switches and receptacles. At a previous inspection I explained the arc fault requirements. Today they called for a final inspection.

This a a panel that was installed because as you will see, the other panel was too full and the other other panel was too old. The breakers are energized but when I tripped them nothing inside the building went dead. They are labeled bedroom lights and receptacles but apparently have no effect on anything inside and I tried all of it.

16373475123_0645cbfc63_b.jpg

Here it is with two of the other panels. All of it is energized.And this isn't all of it as there is another panel at the meter.

16786269477_76b5ea4d5c_b.jpg

Here we are at the meter.

16373470033_2ccfb469fe_b.jpg

The wire with the missing insulation is fed from a 50 amp breaker.

16993554085_71ed2315ee_c.jpg

The contractor wanted me to write up all of the violations so that he could present the list to Flipper and get more work. I told him that I'm not near good enough to spot all of the violations....so they are going to have to start from scratch.

Last edited:
MASSDRIVER said:
No comprende
97883351e0a858fa4f23b047dac62166.jpg

Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The code requires that anyplace that 220 volt power is taken, a neutral must be brought along in case 120 volt power is desired in the future. At least that could be what happened here. Don't quote me on the rule because it might not exist. We don't enforce it if it does exist.

Then again it might just be a cable that had a white wire to go with the black and red. Seems more likely than providing a neutral on purpose.

Either way it should be capped with a wire nut, folded over and taped. It could have been a little longer too.

Somebody that knows the code should be along anytime now and tell you the rest of the story.

Oh and Brent, you are so spot on about electricians. I went on an electricians forum a few days ago. It's gonna take weeks to get rid of the nasty taste. Gosh what prima-donnas they are....almost delicate.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was a service upgrade mounted over a hole in the wall with the conductors brought through the back. Well I wrote a correction about that so he did this.

16594826644_e57a97035e_b.jpg

The guy doing the work called me before he did this. He tried to talk me outa the correction. It seems that he is the neighborhood handyman. A jack of all trades. I thought that I explained in sufficient detail but evidently I fell short.

For a brief moment I felt a tinge of empathy. If you stand back and look at the work it looks like the person is pretty good with tools but doesn't know what to do with them. Then I noticed that the cover on this LB isn't screwed shut. It's buried in plaster and not screwed shut.

17216829821_821b83072e_b.jpg

I had to give the new corrections (5) to the lady that lives there. I could see the disgust in her eyes. She thinks that I am the problem. She asked me if there will be new corrections every time I show up. I said yes.

Last edited:
We had NPDES training today. Then I came across a municipal crew doing their best. Yellow vest became quite upset because I took his picture. I said, "Oh my, are you in the witness protection program too?" "My Handler is a gal named Chelsea, how about you?"

17223800056_65ea063e2a_b.jpg

Last edited:
MASSDRIVER said:
A bunch of bullshlt. Brent.
It's worse than that. We make every job jump through hoops and turn a blind eye to the real polluters.

The worst offender that I have encountered is a cemetery. They have a SWPPP permit and do extensive grading without permit from us. Hells Bells, they built a lake without us being involved. There was a river of mud flowing off the property which must be several thousand acres. I tried to stop them. I tried to get them to plan ahead and control the runoff. I was ignored so I contacted the State.

The State inspector, the cemetery owner, my supervisors and I were standing on a bluff overlooking the new lake. I said that there had been a huge amount of grading done to change the landscape and the owner denied that. He said that I am making up a story. I pointed to a bush and said how about that bush. He said so what about that bush. I said that's not a bush, it's the top of a 30' tall tree and here's a before and after pair of pictures. That was the end of that meeting....and the last time I was there.

A Catholic Cardinal named Mahoney went to the top of my AHJ. This was before he got spanked over the pedophile issue.

I was ordered to never set foot on that property again.....unless I was dead...in which case they would love to have me.

I see the contractors do things that make no sense simply because that's what is on the erosion control plans. I had a six acre site that had sandbags all the way around the entire site. Well over half of the bags were a waste because water couldn't enter or leave the site from the uphill side. Before they did that we had a pre-grade meeting when I told them to do what makes sense, not dumb things that a draftsman put on the plan. A State inspector showed up and demanded that everything that's on the plans be implemented. I told them to call me next time and I will trump the State inspector.

Earlier I wrote a correction that required a CO detector in the hallway. They complied.

17106969680_26bfb82f2c_b.jpg

Last edited:
This guy had an Erector Set when he was a kid...and he never learned to be patient.

17292708202_0e103ac581_b.jpg

Last edited:
MASSDRIVER said:
Looks like he took out his frustrations on that "door".Brent.
Those doors are junk. The entire enclosure is junk. I've ruined a few. I've watched homeowners destroy a few.

ICE said:
Those doors are junk. The entire enclosure is junk. I've ruined a few. I've watched homeowners destroy a few.
Those must be a regional thing for you. I've never seen one in the wild. Is it a UL rated something or other?

To do one right you must be a master craftsman genius savant to actually get it plumb, square and intact.

Brent.

MASSDRIVER said:
get it plumb, square and intact.
Well now that's asking for a lot.

Is it a UL rated something or other?
I don't think so. Some cities won't allow them. Some cities require that they be painted to match the house. We don't care what it looks like.

Wow! $152.00