• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

Just something that I noticed.

21099497755_aa26cf6b3f_b.jpg

It's a restaurant.

20478438313_8b4f6d42e2_b.jpg

I don't eat there.....but I don't suppose that matters.

Last edited:
I was filling in for another inspector today. A Starbucks TI contractor called for final inspection. They came out of the existing service to a 400 amp panel and also fed a 200 amp panel. The T-bar ceiling is done and there is furniture in the store.

20936323368_63977680d9_b.jpg

20937413669_75b813bee8_b.jpg

20501559014_d9b67a045b_b.jpg

I wonder what they will do with the truss.

The other inspector won't be back until next Wednesday, and maybe not then. The contractor asked me if he gets my list of corrections done, would I let him stock the store. I'm not willing to sign anything on this one. I didn't even sign the correction slip.

This is worth repeating. I always ask for a disconnect on the outside of these fans. It is rare that anyone complains about that.

21124511635_05cbf97360_b.jpg

Last edited:
ICE - you've convinced me. I once thought I wanted to be a building inspector, never quite made it. Became a heck of a good (at least I thought I was good) special inspector for concrete, masonry, anchors, roofing, etc. But when that job went away, I just knew I wanted to be a building inspector - after all, I had tons of certs, I had built up a pretty good way of dealing with contractors - but no, I ended up working at an airport where I busted contractor's chops over things like concrete slump, anchors, stuff I had done before. That job ended up with me moving to facilities inspector, an area that I had 16 years of experience. Bottom line, your pictures and reading about the crony nonsense that (sometimes) does go on - yeah, I'll keep looking up jobs for y'all, but I'll finish my days as a facilities inspector.

% = + = %

Heck, ...I'm wondering when someone from liberal Bollywood is

going to contact the Tiger to see about a new "Really Reality T.V. Show."

Mike Holmes has got a new T.V. show on...

Them T.V. folks could really stir some piles of %$@*& with a "new"

Reality Show about construction........Heck, they have one for everything

else on the planet.

Now, ...for a name for this Reality T.V. Show \ Series........Let's see,

how `bout: (1) The Adventures of the Tiger, ...(2) The ICE Man Cometh,

...(3) Are Construction Inspectors Really Needed, ...(4) Have Codes,

Will Travel, ...(5) So You Think You Know Construction Huh ?, ...(6) Who

Do I Need To Call, ...(7) Dancing With the Contractors [ he said with

tongue-in-cheek ], ...(8) Inspectors Am Us, others.

What about it ICE, ...are you interested in a T.V. Reality Show \ Series ?

FWIW, ...you could include a reference to **The Brentster** as a

Contractor out on the fringes... :grin:

In Post # 1624, ...they could install junction box extenders and be

good to go !

th

% = + = %

$ + $ + $

Paul,

In the words of Jethro Bodine [ i.e. - of The Beverly Hillbillies fame ],

..."Why heck yeah !"

Everything is on the `ol design table right now.......We just gotta

get The Tiger on board with this idea.

"conarb stated:I don't think the Tiger would want to get the butt implants, or get a sex change operation."
Whoaa there **conarb**, ...we don't wanna scare off any potentialinvestors or supporters just yet........That level of freakery

"may" be considered once the show \ series gets off the ground

and is well established in the various media markets.

Besides, ...the Tiger could always refer to **The Brentster**

as a level of freakery.........That danged skirt of his is going to get

him in trouble yet !

$ * $ * $

Last edited by a moderator:
mmmarvel said:
Bottom line, your pictures and reading about the crony nonsense that (sometimes) does go on - yeah, I'll keep looking up jobs for y'all, but I'll finish my days as a facilities inspector.
mmmarvel, The fact that there are so many shoddy contractors out there is largely the fault of inspectors. If inspectors hammered the bandit contractor's nuts every time they showed up, they would slowly fall away. If the homeowners realized that the inspectors will make them keep doing it over until they get it right, they will not be looking for the cheapest, snot nosed, sniveler out there.

They will only do it the right way if we force them. I don't care if they like me or what I do. I don't care if they understand why I am making them do it over. All I want out of it is my paycheck and I figure to give them their money's worth.

If the general public understood what they are getting for their permit fee there would be an uproar. I see it daily. It's not so completely messed up in some AHJs and there are some good people in the field but it's mostly a cruel hoax. From the simple to the complex it all gets overlooked.

Last edited:
conarb said:
Tiger:You are totally missing the whole point of building inspection, making money for the AHJ.
I don't think that I have met an AHJ employee that is looking to make money for the AHJ. Every AHJ employee I have met is looking to make money for themselves. That includes me. It is human nature and it's true of any job or profession. Unless your job title is fundraiser, you are your first priority.

Politicians and government administrators loathe building departments. We get in the way of their grand scheme. We create disgruntled constituents. We don't bring in enough money to offset the grief. Many building departments operate at a deficit.

Here's an example of contractor that earned a lump. A big fat goose egg. The site plan shows the carport at ten feet from the dwelling. This is just under five feet. There is no mention of the retaining wall. I asked the contractor why he didn't follow the site plan and he said that the owner insisted that he put it here.

20981184860_f646356834_b.jpg

20981196940_ed6bb6b0ab_b.jpg

Last edited:
ICE said:
If inspectors hammered the bandit contractor's nuts every time they showed up, they would slowly fall away.
And THAT is why I'm pretty happy working as a Facilities Inspector at my airport. I DO hammer on contractors each and every day (when they are doing it wrong). Just fulfill your contract that's all I ask. So why does that seem so hard?? Anyway, I absolutely LOVE your pictures, I love the way you merely present the facts and let the chips fall where they may. I admire the integrity with which you do your job. You are a true asset to the trade/craft - that said, don't let it go to your head. Thanks for all you do both in the field and on this board.

This job started out as the addition of an open room. After the footing and slab was approved the work stopped...ten years ago. Now there is a new permit and there will be two bedrooms with a bearing wall in the center. It is also a braced wall and there was no footing. The floor was cut open for the new footing.

21085414960_0db5bb5864_b.jpg

They got lucky and missed all of the re-bar.

21085632258_a35f01bc9c_b.jpg

Last edited:
MASSDRIVER said:
Just what the arrogant bastard needed. Brent.
Ya I knew you wouldn't be far behind.

I came across this arrogant bastard yesterday.

21094514099_118981514c_b.jpg

Last edited:
ICE said:
Ya I knew you wouldn't be far behind.I came across this arrogant bastard yesterday.
But he's recycling just like the masters say, BTW, what's with the gimp slot in a residential neighborhood? I haven't seen that before.

conarb said:
But he's recycling just like the masters say, BTW, what's with the gimp slot in a residential neighborhood? I haven't seen that before.
I have no clue how this person justified doing this. I'm not going to ask either. It probably keeps people from parking in front of the house. My fathers answer to that is fire hydrants. He bought two, one for each side of the house. They are massive antiques from San Francisco. Nobody parks in front of them....well I do.

ICE said:
I have no clue how this person justified doing this. I'm not going to ask either. It probably keeps people from parking in front of the house. My fathers answer to that is fire hydrants. He bought two, one for each side of the house. They are massive antiques from San Francisco. Nobody parks in front of them....well I do.
Tiger:Actually those gimp slots are for idiots, imbeciles, and morons, there is plenty of room there to park their cars depending upon their mental stage, if you look at the chart below you can pretty much gauge where contractors and building inspectors fall.
attachment.php
Down at the bottom you will note idiot and low grade imbecile, they usually can't even pass the test to drive cars so they don't need gimp slots, those are the people you see riding around on bicycles. I'm sure you recognize all these types during your daily rounds.

View attachment 1227

View attachment 1227

/monthly_2015_09/imbecile.jpg.709e516d307fb118663c95629cca35af.jpg

ICE said:
This job started out as the addition of an open room. After the footing and slab was approved the work stopped...ten years ago. Now there is a new permit and there will be two bedrooms with a bearing wall in the center. It is also a braced wall and there was no footing. The floor was cut open for the new footing.

They got lucky and missed all of the re-bar.

But it looks like the concrete missed the rebar too. I mean is that one of the things you are showing? Uh, the rebar is suppose to be in the concrete, not sitting below the concrete and I'm flipping confused.