• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

Flipper asked me what I would do with this pool.

20766494296_61bf164ee5_b.jpg

20604722748_918db05327_b.jpg

I figured that ten guys with wheelbarrows and a whacker should fix it up in two weeks.

Last edited:
Pcinspector1 said:
ICE,Take all those photo's unless Jeff has the copyrights and do a Roofing "Not" 101 book or a "Wiring for Dumber Dummies book!"

pc1
Well there's a question. How would Jeff have copyright to a picture that I took? Since the picture is here, I would suppose that there is no copyright. Pictures that Jeff posts always have his name on them. That is an indication that they are copyrighted.

It has been my hope that the rest of the folks here would see the benefit of posting pictures. I figured that pictures would drive enrollment. Of course at some point it would mean that entry to see the pictures would be pay to play. It didn't happen. I am the only one to post pictures on a regular basis and it has had no effect on enrollment.

Every now and then I hear from someone that found these pictures to be informative. The target audience is so small and mostly uninterested that trying to capitalize on this is not feasible. It's all here for free and Jeff struggles to get help with maintaining it.

Last edited by a moderator:
ICE said:
It has been my hope that the rest of the folks here would see the benefit of posting pictures. I figured that pictures would drive enrollment. Of course at some point it would mean that entry to see the pictures would be pay to play. It didn't happen. I am the only one to post pictures on a regular basis and it has had no effect on enrollment.

Every now and then I hear from someone that found these pictures to be informative. The target audience is so small and mostly uninterested that trying to capitalize on this is not feasible. It's all here for free and Jeff struggles to get help with maintaining it.
Those of us who visit here regularly (and are paying members) certainly appreciate your photos! They certainly show what problems and experiences members of the profession have in certain areas of the country. It certainly very different than what many experience. Whether it helps enrollment or not it's certainly an open question but I certainly hope that you feel your work is appreciated.

Well thanks Msradell. I know several members get a kick out of the pictures but pc1 was talking about making it into a book and that takes more than entertainment value to succeed. When I first started posting pictures I did see an uptick in enrollment but that leveled off long ago and I quit paying attention. I see that we are up to 6,888 members now. It was near 1,300 when I started. The number is meaningless because 97.46% of those people were here the day they enrolled and haven't returned since.

One indication of the popularity of pictures is the number of views this thread has garnered. 175 people have racked up 140,000 views.

& = &

**Mech**,

May I also encourage you to become a "paid subscription"

member [ i.e. - Sawhorse ]............You can increase your

amusement & enjoyment levels substantially with just the

pictures. :grin:

& = &

Northstar - I believe I am, it's just that the website does not indicate.

I sent a check to Jeff's office back in December which I am sure got cashed. I just never got motivated to contact him and ask his office administrator to look through the books and "credit" me here on the site. I figured I would not bother him with all the other stuff he has going on. So this December, I'll consider using paypal or a credit card so I automatically get the sawhorse status.

The $35/year is definitely worth the free advice and code interpretations. That is about half an hour's worth of a paid consultant's time.

[quote=Mech;149323

The $35/year is definitely worth the free advice and code interpretations. That is about half an hour's worth of a paid consultant's time.

I wish k had your consultants. Mine are in the $150/hr range, and last month i got a proposal from one for $2,500/day billed in full day increments.

ICE,

I thought you said the new guys getting all the gravy inspections?

Question is does it work and is it to code?

pc1

Pcinspector1 said:
ICE,I thought you said the new guys getting all the gravy inspections?

Question is does it work and is it to code?

pc1
The new guy got screwed 11 days ago and found that out yesterday. He was sitting in his truck under a shade tree looking at his map, had the motor running and his radio and A/C blasting away. He sat there for a few minutes and when he pulled away he noticed that a little white parking enforcement jeep was sitting behind him. He didn't give it a second thought until the ticket arrived in the mail. These parking police are over the top rude. How they can ticket a car with a person in the car and no sweeper in sight is beyond me.

So I know the head parking enforcement officer and me and the NFG went to see her. Didn't matter says she because there is a private company that collects the fines and it is out of her hands. She made it clear that if he had brought her the ticket on the same day that it was issued she could have wiped it clean but since it's at a private blood sucking enterprise, he will have to write them a story and ask them to refund the ticket that he must pay before he can appeal. I didn't want to tell the blister what I thought about how he was ticketed....she is after all, the head officer and I might need the head later.

Years ago I turned a corner and the street was flooded. I mean flooded. I drove up the block and found where it was coming down a driveway. I parked and walked up the driveway and discovered that there was a ruptured municipal water tank on a hill behind the house. Probably a few million gallons. When I got back to my truck there was a parking ticket because it was street sweeping day. That Vampira has got to be sooooo stupid that she must get lost daily. They are dumb enough to ticket cars with a stiff behind the wheel....three and four times. There were enough flies to get it airborne and they were still writing tickets. Once they spotted the vultures professional courtesy took over and they stayed away.

The plumbing is ..... I don't have a clue. Since I have no clue, I wouldn't know what code to apply. It isn't leaking and it's been there for a long time.

Today I went to a house for a re-roof inspection and the owner came out to greet me. All 350 lbs. of her. She said that she remembers me from years ago when she built a patio cover. She insisted that I forced her to remove an open air shower from her back yard. One comeback after another floated around in my head. I realized that I should leave as soon as possible.

\ said:
All 350 lbs. of her. She said that she remembers me from years ago when she built a patio cover. She insisted that I forced her to remove an open air shower from her back yard.
You were only doing a public service, the sight of a naked 350 pound woman taking a shower could cause death or injury, did she come out riding one of those motorized scooters we see the women of Wal Mart riding?

The owner is a high school shop teacher. I was surprised by that....I thought shop class went the same way as PE. They should bring back Home Economics classes. Pretty soon the only people that know how to do laundry will work at a dry cleaners.

Another one bites the dust. The contractor came to the office and he was spitting mad.

20388159243_38e9e83d80_b.jpg

Last edited:
The job is a conversion from two bedrooms to a bathroom and larger bedroom. I wrote a few corrections at the rough inspection. One of which was to set the outlets so that they will be flush with the drywall. Some other inspector came back for the inspection of the rough inspection corrections. I heard the contractor say, "But the other inspector approved it". I said, "He must have been having a bad day. That happens to all of us".

Today it's his turn. There's not more than a dozen to fix and I hope he learns a lesson.

21009208355_f3746e12c1_b.jpg

Last edited:
Tell me something Tiger, yesterday I went to see the owner of a home I built in the 70s, he's selling and having a new home built in Nevada, he claims that he's planning to sell some commercial real estate and by being a Nevada resident he'll save a million dollars alone not having to pay California capital gains taxes. A home inspection required GFIs in the garage, there are no washers and dryers in this garage, it's just a garage, since when are GFIs required in garages, or is this just another stupid home inspector?

conarb said:
A home inspection required GFIs in the garage, there are no washers and dryers in this garage, it's just a garage, since when are GFIs required in garages, or is this just another stupid home inspector?
It has been in the code for quite a while. Even receptacles that are located in the ceiling. I have been told that the next code cycle will exempt the ceiling receptacle. I think there will be an exception for receptacles located over five feet from the floor. I can't say for sure and it's not here yet.

21089488112_532ec26ab3_b.jpg

20911477970_204a87ce2b_b.jpg

21073369436_6e2eb0d749_b.jpg

At the first attempt to pass inspection for a service upgrade, another inspector wrote one correction. The correction stated that a bonding fitting is needed where the GEC enters the enclosure. I went there for the next inspection and wrote more corrections. Six more and that included label the circuit breakers.

So this morning I get a phone call and the guy asked for the other inspector. When He found out that the other inspector is not working today he asked for a different inspector....only to find out that the inspector has been transferred. Then he thought: "Oh crap I have to deal with this inspector".

He starts out with, "I need clarification on some corrections" Okay I said. He says, "How come you wrote corrections on top of the other inspector's write up?" "Can you even do that?" I said, "I thought you wanted clarification of corrections but apparently you want validation of corrections". Do you question whether the corrections are valid?" "Yes" he says. "I've never heard of bonding every end of the cable armor that protects the GEC." "In all these years, I've never had to do that"

20936892259_11a2cccb47_b.jpg

One of the corrections was to get rid of this jumper from the old service to this new service. He told me that Edison told him to do this and he correctly named the Edison planner for this area. He asked me how to keep power to the house without this jumper.

He knows the other inspectors.....he knows the Edison planner.....that tells me that he has been working as an unlicensed electrical contractor for too long.

I put him on hold and pulled the file. The owner took out the permit. I then asked this guy if he is a licensed electrical contractor. He said that he is the brother in-law of the owner. I asked him again if he was a licensed contractor and again he said that he is the brother in-law of the owner.

I told him to do the corrections as they are written and call for inspection and then said goodbye.

Last edited: