• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

I always require a structural strap across over-bored top plates. The typical strap is a ST62xx with xx being what ever length it takes to place 10 nails on each side of the damage. This case will take a MST that may be quite long. I am not sure how long I can let this get to before they need an engineer.

Did I mention that this is a solar company. The stucco repair will turn out better than anyone would expect.

I have been marginalized. A new inspector has been assigned to the district office that I report to and he was given a chunk of my territory. He got most of the good stuff and I have been left with re-roofs and water heaters....and not many to look at. I have averaged 4 to 7 inspections a day since the new guy showed up.

This roof is newer and pretty big.

20285799899_f766423901_b.jpg

I'd say that he's a bit rude and he didn't get a permit.

20284403208_41761cdc64_b.jpg

Last edited:
ICE said:
I have been marginalized. A new inspector has been assigned to the district office that I report to and he was given a chunk of my territory. He got most of the good stuff and I have been left with re-roofs and water heaters....and not many to look at. I have averaged 4 to 7 inspections a day since the new guy showed up.I can't take too much more of this. I need to find another way to make a living.
I just posted a boatload of jobs in CA - go for it.

\ said:
I can't take too much more of this. I need to find another way to make a living.
Tiger:

With all the knowledge you've gained as an inspector come over to the bright side and become a contractor, if you're good enough Brent may even make you a member of the clan and then you will have the privilege of wearing the kilt.

Oh my gosh conarb....I'm way too picky for that....I would drive subcontractors crazy....nobody would do a second job....well they would do the first one a few times but never again....that and finding competent help drove me away from construction.

Unless you are in the tall cotton the help you get isn't much help. People who know how to use tools and are willing to work for a decent paycheck died out a generation ago. Now they want what they want when they want it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The slackline would bother me.

The 2x4 bridge, not so much. Better than jumping or hopping up and down a ladder.

Used to have fun when I was cutting those big ranch style roofs by leaning the rafters against the plate and scrambling up the angle like an orangutan.

Brent.

Alone on a cloudy day a man decides to take a hike up a mountain trail. As he nears the top of the mountain he is deep in thought. Not aware of his surroundings the man slips off a cliff and starts to slide down the face of the mountain. After falling nearly 100 feet he is able to grab on to a small branch growing out of the side of the mountain to stop his fall. He looks down and estimates a sheer 1000 foot drop to the ground below.

Not knowing what else to do he starts shouting "God, God please help me". As he is shouting out to God the clouds start to part and as an opening appears a ray of light beams down upon the man.

The man cries out, "God please help me!!!".

A voice from above asks, "My son, do you believe?"

The man replies, "Yes, I believe."

The voice says, "Then let go of the branch."

Incredulous, the man replies, "If I let go of the branch I'll fall 1000 ft to my death."

Once again the voice says, "Do you believe?"

Again the man replies, "Yes, I believe."

The voice says, "Then let go of the branch."

The man cries and admits, "God, I'm scared to let go of the branch."

The voice with much tenderness and compassion says, "Let go of the branch."

Hearing the tenderness and compassion in the voice the man says, "Okay God, I'm going to let go of the branch."

He lets go of the branch and starts to fall, he continues to fall until he hits the ground and dies instantly.

Once he is dead, the ray of light disappears and as the opening in the clouds start to close shut, the voice says...

"I hate inspectors."

20586407011_41a0ce767a_b.jpg

there used to be a wall furnace. It was replaced with new HVAC. 16 corrections.

20393177769_73c2545796_b.jpg

Last edited:
e hilton said:
Sorry, i find that offensive and in poor taste.
No need to apologize..I agree wholeheartedly. But at the same time I thought it was funny,,,,I mean he named his prized sheep Martha.

Let me make it up to you with this one

Last edited by a moderator:
I always check to see what the roofer did to the service drop.

20478671050_b7f0d3cf6d_b.jpg

With this house, the drop should be attached right here.

20479925829_1f7662931b_b.jpg

It ended up draped across the house next door.

20673390671_ff750faa96_b.jpg

The re-roof permit was taken out by the owner. The neighbor didn't have a clue about the energized service drop laying on their roof and the owner of the house being roofed wasn't there. I called Edison and they said they would be right over. Five hours later nothing had changed. The way the thing is snagged on the iron vent pipe indicates that it was placed that way on purpose. When I told the neighbor about it, she wasn't upset until I told her to stay away from the plumbing in her house.

Last edited:
Brent,

Have you heard the "Red Hot Chili Pipers!" you'd like them, kinda like Steely Dan on roids!

pc1

e hilton said:
Your recent pictures look like you are in a better neighborhood.
Here let me fix that:

20555523610_af7d7193cd_b.jpg

Might be a dentist that lives here. But nope, that's not a bullet hole and even a dentist wouldn't shoot a bovine in the forehead with an arrow.

Last edited:
% = + = %

I can't take too much more of this. I need to find another way to make a living."
Have you considered opening up an Inspection & Plans Review businessfor yourself ?..........Albeit, you will probably have to do it away from

where you have been inspecting all of these years........There is a

definite need all over the "Oh No Peoples Republic of the U.S" for

competent inspections & plan reviewing........Just ask Jeff and some

others on here........You might as well get paid [ well ] for your efforts.

Also, moving in to a new area might give you a fresher outlook on the

"Oh So Corrupt Construction Industry".

FWIW, ...stay away from working with that dude in a skirt [ kilt ],

and toting a combat [ i.e. - Rambo style ] knife.......He'll get you in

to more trouble. :cool:

% = + = %

ICE,

Take all those photo's unless Jeff has the copyrights and do a Roofing "Not" 101 book or a "Wiring for Dumber Dummies book!"

pc1