• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

On that first inspection I wrote 18 corrections without getting on the roof and sad to say that I didn't inspect the water heater either. In my defense, it was a busy day and 18 is plenty. I was in a hot attic, the corrections were goofy stuff that indicated that the contractor was sub-par. The icing on that cake is that the contractor didn't show up for the inspection and the clueless flipper wanted explanation times 18.

Then I see the water heater vent.

36686407720_7592ff80e9_b.jpg

36686859650_94f75753cd_b.jpg

While not a record number of corrections for the scope of work, it is a ridiculous outcome.

37082721175_854f0035f8_b.jpg

Last edited:
How hard can you bend an appliance connector? Don't you get a zero clearance reduction for vents in free air? Some days I feel like I have your job Tiger.....Flickr working well for you? I have to do something about the PB disaster at some point....

Post # 2372, I do not require the seismic straps here, just curious what are they
fastened to? The cabinet is fastened to the house, yes? And the straps to the
cabinet, maybe?

Gas line looks a bit kinky and the PRV line will not work installed that way.

ICE, I was in SLO last week looking for you, over a 100° :mad: for three days! Had
a steak dinner at Jocko's in Nipomo and did some surf fishing at Oso Flaco. The
locals where very friendly, I might say! :cool:

I would like to write a simple correction that says "fix the obvious" prior to requesting inspection.

37087176385_9f8b8c3a68_b.jpg

Last edited:
Roll in showers are popular. No damned dam. The black area on the floor is the spot that has water for a pan test. The contractor pointed out the the bathroom could never flood with this one.

36272334354_75988664a7_b.jpg

Last edited:
36919725526_03b718de27_b.jpg

Is it just me or does all of that venting and equipment on the roof ruin the aesthetic. I guess that nobody was paying attention to the plumber as this progressed.

Last edited:
I like a huge glass wall....well not facing the sun. Hence the massive blinds.

36272716184_d9ab87b937_b.jpg

How about the chimney in the middle? There are operable panes top and bottom but the blinds aren't helping air flow. There are two wall jacks over the windows....I don't know what they are there for. Kinda look like dryer vents but the location suggests roof drains which I doubt. Perhaps there is a space between the ceiling and the roof and they are vents. I suppose that they fit right in with the chimney.

37108001235_a8030a657d_b.jpg

Last edited:
The correction asked for a four inch overlap of intact lath paper and a two inch overlap of the reinforcing wire.

37269589195_bde4c807bc_b.jpg

While I was writing the correction I pointed out the exposed framing.

37096880272_bf3f51e2b2_b.jpg

This is the outcome. I wasn't like I didn't explain the correction because I did.....

37269565555_b1cef86d07_b.jpg

Last edited:
The code requires a 2/0 wire bend to have a minimum 4" radius. Too many workers don't know that or they confuse radius with diameter.
This person went both ways.

36873153870_162a9c9203_b.jpg

I met this worker. When I told him what was required he exclaimed that Edison wont allow a big loop that reaches near the bottom. According to him Edison wants the space open in case they decide to feed underground and therefor the existing 2/0 wires would be in the way. No kidding.....that's exactly what he said.

36873153600_e335feed85_b.jpg

I have been asked why this matters.....many times. I don't have a good answer so I made one up. Here goes: electricity is a phenomenon that takes place on an atomic scale. It is the movement of electrons.

So the electrons are moving along a straight wire, well actually it's the hole where an electron was that's moving along the wire but that's not important here. Now the electrons hit a curve in the road. When the copper conductor is bent too tight, the atoms of copper are compressed together on one side and stretched apart on the other side. The electrons...er holes... have to slow down....but they can't and that generates heat in the wire. Heat causes more turmoil in the atomic world and that causes more resistance.

As always, there are caveats. For example if all of the available free electrons are just one color....blue is a good example. All blue electrons is one way to overcome the compounding heat effect. Blue is not known as a cool color for nothing.

Last edited:
The code requires a 2/0 wire bend to have a minimum 4" radius. Too many workers don't know that or they confuse radius with diameter.
This person went both ways.

I met this worker. When I told him what was required he exclaimed that Edison wont allow a big loop that reaches near the bottom. According to him Edison wants the space open in case they decide to feed underground and therefor the existing 2/0 wires would be in the way. No kidding.....that's exactly what he said.

I have been asked why this matters.....many times. I don't have a good answer so I made one up. Here goes: electricity is a phenomenon that takes place on an atomic scale. It is the movement of electrons.

So the electrons are moving along a straight wire, well actually it's the hole where an electron was that's moving along the wire but that's not important here. Now the electrons hit a curve in the road. When the copper conductor is bent too tight, the atoms of copper are compressed together on one side and stretched apart on the other side. The electrons...er holes... have to slow down....but they can't and that generates heat in the wire. Heat causes more turmoil in the atomic world and that causes more resistance.

As always, there are caveats. For example if all of the available free electrons are just one color....blue is a good example. All blue electrons is one way to overcome the compounding heat effect. Blue is not known as a cool color for nothing.
Tiger:

You forgot to add that those electrons have to flow down from the solar panels unimpeded and up into that huge storage pond so they can flow back down easily and power all the electric cars and scooters that the fat people drive. I know, I saw it myself, I went to Costco yesterday, I'm going to buy some shin guards, I haven't seen anything like this since bumper cars in Playland.

It is usually not so obvious that there is a hole behind the enclosure.

36465766053_a7ddffbcd8_b.jpg

The contractor tried to convince me that the five separate entries are raceway to a j-box that is located in a crawl space. He is adamant that the wall is sealed around each raceway.....caulking that is.

36888038820_0614af1800_b.jpg

He left this hole but was scrupulous about sealing around his conduits?

36465766863_c66cca789f_b.jpg

There is a witness.

36465767443_e589db3799_b.jpg

Dead birds sing no songs.

Last edited:
Last edited: