• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

A&B are both hot from the POCO but one is just sitting there with a layer of tape over the end.

DSCN4153.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A week ago, a correction was left that said that shingles aren't allowed on a roof that's pitched below 2" in 12". The contractor didn't contact us and did call for re-inspection today. When I arrived, the contractor first made the argument that since he tore off a shingle roof, he is allowed to replace it with a shingle roof. When that didn't work he said that the roof is over 2" pitch and his level is on the roof if I need proof.

DSCN4140.jpg

He didn't know that I had a better level in my back pocket.

DSCN4137.jpg

We might be making it too easy to get a permit. This isn't in our jurisdiction and they were disappointed that I wouldn't sign the card. Then they got angry at me because they went to the wrong office to obtain a permit.

I had to drive over there because nobody answered the phone and I was berated for the effort.

DSCN4159.jpg

ICE said:
I use photobucket. It's easy to create a free account and easy enough to use. I have over 700 pictures there so far and I don't know what the limit might be. There is a scary down side....If photobucket crashes, all of the pictures here will go away.....and I'm not gonna start over.Each day produces pictures. I am surprised that pictures never caught on here.
ICE more help please, set up the photobucke account, now need to understand how you insert photo that is not a link, thank you again

Some fancy carpentry here. The roof has a 4" dip. The other side is just as bad.

IMG_0192.jpg

This is a sample of the framing. Note that the wall intersection isn't nailed because there is no channel stud and the top plate breaks are next to each other. None of the corners are nailed together. I stopped at 18 corrections without looking at the plans.

IMG_0190.jpg

The permit says "Repair pool and add a spa. There was a pre-gunite inspection done by another inspector. The owner met me today for a pre-plaster inspection. I commented that the pool is new, not repaired. He said yes, the old pool was demolished and this is all new. It is the same with the Patio cover which has no permit.

Then the pool contractor showed up. He swears up and down that the pool was always there and all that he added was the spa. He also doesn't understand why a patio cover repair would require a permit.

Then I brought up the fence and gate requirements. Oh my gosh! The owner went ballistic. The entire property needs new fence and gates. So the contractor knew all along that the fence is illegal and when I cite it I get screamed at. Wait until they find out how wrong the patio cover is.

DSCN4185.jpg

DSCN4186.jpg

I was looking for a drain pipe so I stuck the camera in the crawl hole. Hard telling what this is.

DSCN4179.jpg

The piece of wood under the floor joist is there to hold the wire away from the copper pipe. The wire is the only thing holding the piece of wood in place. There are about a dozen of these. And this is a contractor's work.

DSCN4178.jpg

ICE said:
This was a sewer inspection. The pipe is buried except at the fittings. The correction said, "Remove the dirt for inspection and prepare to place slurry where the sewer is adjacent to the building's foundation."
DSCN4120.jpg
Depends on what the meaning of "Remove the dirt ..." is. Hey if Clinton and Edwards can play that game, so can the contractor. :)

ICE said:
I was looking for a drain pipe so I stuck the camera in the crawl hole. Hard telling what this is.
Obviously a shrine for worship of the Flying Spaghetti Monster replete with icon. May you be touched by His Noodlie Appendage.

DSCN4263-1.jpg

DSCN4267.jpg

This 2"x4" is the only thing keeping this from falling away from the building. Well there is the weight of the ladder.

DSCN4265.jpg

It's not nailed.

DSCN4266.jpg

The J-box is inside the BBQ island. If you want to open the J-box, you will be inside the BBQ island. That's not a code violation.....Just rude

DSCN4273.jpg

DSCN4274.jpg

ICE you might know this, I remember reading in the IBC or IRC regarding insulating before the roof and exterior sheeting is in progress, but can't seem to find it now. Is it in the Appendix?

ICE said:
I almost climbed this ladder. It came apart when I tried to extend it.
DSCN4205.jpg
why would you want to clime that ladder to get to that crappy staging?

danhiman said:
ICE you might know this, I remember reading in the IBC or IRC regarding insulating before the roof and exterior sheeting is in progress, but can't seem to find it now. Is it in the Appendix?
I don't recall seeing that in any code. It makes sense. Much like "no stucco prior to drywall" but that's not in the code either.