• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

Well, here is what I found today. The panel cover cannot be installed until the wires are rerouted, and about the wood door that it is housed in...FAIL
panel2.jpg
panel1.jpg

View attachment 630

View attachment 631

View attachment 630

View attachment 631

/monthly_2012_12/panel1.jpg.13d5e5f41a377651804c9c3e65d2add2.jpg

/monthly_2012_12/panel2.jpg.2c6a43540aa88882bdb5dfcd036f5d73.jpg

What a wild mess. There's probably every possible mistake taking place in one panel. The transformer is a real hoot.

That rivals anything I've posted here.

Last edited by a moderator:
All that and Federal Pacific too.....Surprised it has not burned yet!

97catintenn said:
Well, here is what I found today. The panel cover cannot be installed until the wires are rerouted, and about the wood door that it is housed in...FAIL
panel2.jpg

panel1.jpg

It least they labeled the panel box. Circuit #23 is for the "Toaster" for sure.

pc1

200 Amp GE Panel - Missing two breakers, cover not attached to box

View attachment 632

Gee, missing breakers are in the bottom of the panel boxView attachment 633

Never seen a piece of copper (lower left) like this in a box beforeView attachment 634

I found this while investigating a complaint on the rental. Main complaint was for the Monitor heater that is spewing CO and landlord won't fix it. Electrical problems are secondary.Temps have been down to 8 degrees/night, 20's-30's/day. Sue, just another snowy day in paradise. ;) View attachment 632

View attachment 633

View attachment 634

/monthly_2012_12/11.jpg.8e605b0049aec7e3c58e2c647b092ef6.jpg

/monthly_2012_12/21.jpg.39b885b02855f83f403314661f791d14.jpg

/monthly_2012_12/31.jpg.2cb346467746e297b98db56a572966c7.jpg

In 2003 a permit was obtained for an electrical service upgrade. No inspection was done and the permit expired. New owner obtained new permit to finalize the 2003 permit. There's a laundry in the way. The new owner is unhappy. He can't understand why I can't just do the inspection and leave him alone.

DSCN8088.jpg

DSCN8090.jpg

Two service drops are laying on the roof. One is for this house and the other serves the neighbor. The structure is a room addition that was approved ten years ago.

DSCN8083.jpg

DSCN8073.jpg

The major frame is steel and the smaller members that hold the glazing are aluminum. The contractor claims to have built many such rooms and has never heard of an equipotential bonding grid. I explained as much as I know about it during a foundation inspection. I did that again over the phone while I was on vacation. The bonding was tricky because everything is painted and it bolts together.

DSCN8071.jpg

I guess that I have failed because this wall is a staging door that opens the entire wall. The doors and track are not bonded.

DSCN8069.jpg

My turn to find a transformer inside a panel cabinet. Of course it was a solar company that did this so I can't say that an electrician screwed up.

DSCN8063.jpg

This hardy ever happens. The end of the armor that is inside the EMT is not bonded and the end of the EMT is not bonded. It looks clean.

DSCN8049.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

The contractor told me that the steel will float to the top as the concrete fills the excavation so there is no need to tie it in place.

NICE!.....I had a contractor tell me the other day that he couldn't pressure test his CSST (that he wanted to direct bury) until it was buried because it would burst.....

Is the steel made of Ivory soap? Perhaps it is air entrained and that causes it to float?

ICE said:
IMG_0231.jpg
The contractor told me that the steel will float to the top as the concrete fills the excavation so there is no need to tie it in place.

Alias said:
200 Amp GE Panel - Missing two breakers, cover not attached to boxView attachment 1523

Gee, missing breakers are in the bottom of the panel box

View attachment 1524

Never seen a piece of copper (lower left) like this in a box before

View attachment 1525

I found this while investigating a complaint on the rental. Main complaint was for the Monitor heater that is spewing CO and landlord won't fix it. Electrical problems are secondary.

Temps have been down to 8 degrees/night, 20's-30's/day.

Sue, just another snowy day in paradise. ;)
Alias the copper in the bottom picture looks like it might be your panel bond.

This might be somebody's' Christmas present.

IMG_0242.jpg

The last thing that was added is the 2"x4" post in the middle..... because...it was falling down.

IMG_0244-1.jpg

They do deserve credit for creativity.

IMG_0243-1.jpg

Not really my cup of tea but this is one of the best that I've seen. The guy that did it has an artist's eye.

DSCN8102.jpg

The guy that built the stairs might be blind in one eye.

DSCN8106.jpg

The guy that placed the equipment less than five feet away from the property line can't see at all.

DSCN8103.jpg

i had an "electrician" ask me this morning if he could put 6, 12 -2 mc's into 3 ganged 2x3x3-1/2 inch device boxes. i asked him if he had a code book so i could look it up. he said " you can't get a box deeper than that". that was not my question,. do you have a code book/ "no", ok i've got one in my truck i'll be right back. "well it's only a remodel" well, you're still supposed to comply with the code, regardless of it being a remodel on residence or a 5 story commercial building. he does not own a code book. he did not know about 314.16, or how to size a device box. this guy is actually licensed as a journeyman, has no clue where to look in the code book for device box sizing, how do they get the license.