• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

The second to the last step is installing the hinges. I wonder what the HO thought about this.

26067628452_6d3b595c89_b.jpg

It is the next day. The dead front is off and the hinges have been removed. When you release the latch at the bottom is when you find out that the hinges have been removed. The owner came out and I asked him if the contractor left this open. He said that he did it because the contractor called to tell him that he would not be able to show up today and the contractor asked the owner to take it apart.

There's 25 current carrying conductors in the conduit.

26153012376_39f1fb5dd6_b.jpg

Last edited:
I shouldn't have to tell a contractor that this will not be okay.

26134156976_0fd53383f5_b.jpg

Last edited:
The seismic strap company could save a buck or two. If the straps are long enough to do this, material is being wasted.

26211066935_d3d39b213c_b.jpg

Last edited:
I expect them to ARC fault the glugs but they went overboard with the kitchen/bath and laundry lights.

25608592253_baac2d6103_b.jpg

Last edited:
The contractor didn't think that I would crawl around under the house....and he was right about that.

25606766104_2d40df5603_b.jpg

Last edited:
I expect them to ARC fault the glugs but they went overboard with the kitchen/bath and laundry lights.
I wish I could get an electrician to label his panels like that, the heck with the spelling, it's better labeling that I've ever got.

Besides the obvious corrections, and there's plenty of them, what say you about dumping the secondary condensate drain into the emergency drain pan?

25653235583_d7d0ed0114_b.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I've certainly seem worse things done with the secondary condensate drain. It's also certainly a minor issue compared to some of the others that are visible. If everything else was corrected satisfactorily I'd probably let it go.

Everything talks about supplemental or auxiliary so I would say: Nay Nay....

M1411.3 Condensate disposal. Condensate from all cooling coils or evaporators shall be conveyed from the drain pan outlet to an approved place of disposal. Such piping shall maintain a minimum horizontal slope in the direction of discharge of not less than 1/8 unit vertical in 12 units horizontal (1-percent slope). Condensate shall not discharge into a street, alley or other areas where it would cause a nuisance.

M1411.3.1 Auxiliary and secondary drain systems. In addition to the requirements of Section M1411.3, a secondary drain or auxiliary drain pan shall be required for each cooling or evaporator coil where damage to any building components will occur as a result of overflow from the equipment drain pan or stoppage in the condensate drain piping. Such piping shall maintain a minimum horizontal slope in the direction of discharge of not less than 1/8 unit vertical in 12 units horizontal (1-percent slope). Drain piping shall be a minimum of 3/4-inch (19 mm) nominal pipe size.

One of the following methods shall be used:

1. An auxiliary drain pan with a separate drain shall be installed under the coils on which condensation will occur. The auxiliary pan drain shall discharge to a conspicuous point of disposal to alert occupants in the event of a stoppage of the primary drain. The pan shall have a minimum depth of 1.5 inches (38 mm), shall not be less than 3 inches (76 mm) larger than the unit or the coil dimensions in width and length and shall be constructed of corrosion-resistant material. Galvanized sheet steel pans shall have a minimum thickness of not less than 0.0236-inch (0.6010 mm) (No. 24 Gage). Nonmetallic pans shall have a minimum thickness of not less than 0.0625 inch (1.6 mm).

2. A separate overflow drain line shall be connected to the drain pan installed with the equipment. This overflow drain shall discharge to a conspicuous point of disposal to alert occupants in the event of a stoppage of the primary drain. The overflow drain line shall connect to the drain pan at a higher level than the primary drain connection.

3. An auxiliary drain pan without a separate drain line shall be installed under the coils on which condensation will occur. This pan shall be equipped with a water level detection device conforming to UL 508 that will shut off the equipment served prior to overflow of the pan. The pan shall be equipped with a fitting to allow for drainage. The auxiliary drain pan shall be constructed in accordance with Item 1 of this section.

4. A water level detection device conforming to UL 508 shall be installed that will shut off the equipment served in the event that the primary drain is blocked. The device shall be installed in the primary drain line, the overflow drain line or the equipment-supplied drain pan, located at a point higher than the primary drain line connection and below the overflow rim of such pan.

I have allowed it many times. I ask the question because of the potential for crap to build up in the pan and if the secondary opens the crap will clog the drain hole. Recently I encountered a pan that was filled with blown-in insulation.

32EAB1AC00000578-3527527-The_house_is_fresh_and_new_But_something_is_wrong_Can_you_spot_t-a-14_1459998634584.jpg

Would you purchase this house?

Post #1989: brings back memories when I would tell the offending homeowner to pull it out, start over, don't glue it just dry fit, will look again before allowed to glue up & test. If you don't get it right in 3 more tries, then hire a licensed plumber. Gunshot wouldn't beat the phone call back to the office. Glad I'm retired now, but have one more client to get finished and doing the "dry fit" routine with the owner/builder right now.

Conarb - still fixing up house to sell so no mortgage payment when I relocate. My wife of 44+ years retires this June. I like the 40's 50's & 60's style hot rods. Not worried about customers, will build what I like.