• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Arrived in Denver - BB discussion with ICC

Hi Mule,

Hope you had fun on your side jaunt...

Kyle may not be monitoring this site (yet) .. Valerie is..

We'll see... it's on them now to put their talents where their mouths are!

Travel safely.

Mule, Safe journey.

Well, it's back to work tomorrow. Charlotte next month and I'm supposed to travel to Bend Oregon some time this winter. Denver again after the first of the year for the 2nd half of the cbo exam. Man does it feel good to be home. Lights out soon for me. Only 40 miniutes before bedtime. Have a good week everybody.

Post Script: Kyle & Valerie, Welcome to our world! Soon to be our world?

Back to work again.

It was nice meeting all of you that were able to make it to Denver. Those that couldn't be there were missed. My only regret is that I didn't gt to talk to some ofyou as much as I would have liked.

I agree that we are all optomistic that the changes ICC will make in the coming months will be for the better. The leadership that was represented from ICC are all relatively new to the organization, and they have the task at hand to fix the problems left by others. We all know how difficult that can be.

We need to keep the lines of communication open to discuss what we like and don't like about the proposed BB. Change is hard, but like we have to keep reminding contractors - just because you have been doing it for 15 years, doesn't mean it was right (or the only way). I think the proposed BB shows some great improvements for editing and sharing of attachments. And if it all works in the end, should we care what platform it is using?

Glad everyone made it home safe. It was a long couple of days, but definately glad I was able to be a part of it.

So, if we have any more suggestions for the BB, do we post in this thread or one of the previous ones?

Would it be better to start another thread just for this purpose? Would it be a good idea to post the Denver groups names so that everybody would have the option to send a committe member a private message? Just brainstorming here.

JP: I think a new thread with a different title is in order. Call it the ICC Help Page? It would nice to know some of the other details from the meeting in Denver. How many people actually attended? Any that were not part of this board? Any from other boards? When you compare how long it took Jeff to set up this board, and how long it will be before the ICC gets the 'newer and more improved' ICC Board up and running, you get the feeling that bureaucracy can only slow things down to a crawl rivaling molasses uphill in January.

ewenme said:
JP: How many people actually attended?
Including ICC staff and WebTech I would say there were around 40 of us at the meeting.

ewenme said:
Any that were not part of this board?
I believe there were 10??? from this board.

ewenme said:
Any from other boards?
Yes there were others from various boards. Architecture boards, NAHB, Engineer forums etc.

Among the attendees were

Building Officials/3rd party official (peach), 10 or 12

Inspectors, 3 or 4

Fire Official 1 I think

Architects, 2 or 3

Engineers 2 0r 3

Home Builders 2

Independent companies 2

Student 1

I'm pretty close on my counts but not certain.

ewenme said:
When you compare how long it took Jeff to set up this board, and how long it will be before the ICC gets the 'newer and more improved' ICC Board up and running, you get the feeling that bureaucracy can only slow things down to a crawl rivaling molasses uphill in January.
There is more going on than just the forum. From what I understand there is going to be an entire revamping of the ICC web site. As far as the forum goes from what I understand they (ICC) is going to incorporate the old board into the new board. They know they screwed up and are trying to fix their screw up.

From one of jp's posts...In the first week the cow received 4,000 email compliants! Since last October membership has fallen 30%. After the shutdown of the old site the number of hits on their site fell by 7,000 per month! These are staggering numbers.

Mule said:
Among the attendees were Building Officials/3rd party official (peach), 10 or 12

Inspectors, 3 or 4

Fire Official 1 I think

Architects, 2 or 3

Engineers 2 0r 3

Home Builders 2

Independent companies 2

Student 1
Mule, that sounds about right. Some ofus also wear multiple hats.

There were also 3 from ICC and 3 from Webteks. Valerie (from Webteks) was going to pass along the contact information for everyone once she got permission. I did not get the request for pemission yet (although she has my permisson). Did you?

No emails yet. Probably too busy working on the site. But yes they have my permission also.

jpranch said:
Stuck in DIA. Beer 5.50 a glass! Fatboy, this ones for you. Need a little time to digest everything. Uncle Bob, I' call you soon. Very happy to know all is well.
hello jpranch i was the youngster student at the metting in dia i want to ssay thank you for your time and addvice

hello everyone i was the student at dia i am new at this disscussion board i just wanted to thank all of those who offered advice and sugesting to me this board hope all got home safe ca johnny

John, I can tell you that you are among like minded people here. Welcome to the BB. Your insight in Denver was invaluable. Save this site as one of your favorites. This is a good place to be.

If you would allow me this little bit of lattitude: Contrary to what some may say... code officials are not gods (little-g) All just sinners looking for a little grace.

Well crap, just violated the hands off on politics and religion. Well...

John,

Welcome to the forum.

There is a world of good information here; and, we do get a little passionate sometimes.

Good to see you here,

Uncle Bob

John,

Welcome to the board. Your comments were well received. THIS is the place to be right now.

Please ask questions no matter how minute you think they may be. Trust me we are all still learning!

I've seen topics where I knew what the answer was but after discussing a certain topic I changed my way of thinking. A fresh mind is always a good thing! Some of us on here tend to get a little stale because we think we know the code and then all of a sudden the code up and changes....Dang! When did the put that in there????? Oh about six years ago!!!! Ooops!

Anyway, welcome and throw this site out to all of your student friends.

Oh and you said as a student that you don't have a lot of money.....well guess what? You're in the wrong profession if you mthink you are going to get wealthy! :) We are in for the love of the codes and to help others.

Welcome John, and I agree with the others, you brought a different perspective to the meeting, glad you were there.

Hello John and welcome! All I can add is that if I was a god then the Cubs would have won the World Series in 1969, 1984, 1989, etc. Without passion this board would get boring, so let us have it!

I just wanted say it was nice meeting you all in Denver and I have to admit I did'nt know this board existed until talking to Mule at one of the breaks. I "lurked" (a few posts) at the old ICC board prior to it's unexplained disappearance and was able to find some great answers there. I'm happy to see that most of you migrated to this board, and I will make an effort to contribute a little more this time around. I also wish I had ordered the Filet Mignon.

NH09

Building Inspector/Code Enforcement

New Hampshire

NH09,

Welcome to the board. Glad I was able to lure you in :) If you know of anyone else who could benefit from this forum please pass on the information.

WOW..if nothing else we drummed up some business in Denver. Welcome to all of the newcomers. Spread the word and jump in when you are ready. Thanks for signing up.

Well look, The beta is at least 2 months out. Sooooo, a lot of us will be elk or deer hunting over the comming months. You have to have your priorities! The new icc board will not happen until the spring of 2011. Many, many of us have found a home here. 600+ members and counting. Between now and the spring of 2011 I would wager that many will find this site as a result of...

The fact is that this is a very good place to be and near as I can figure will be a good place to be for a very long time. I do also beleive that because of what we did in Denver last week combined with the proposed timeline that this site will continue to grow. AND as clearly indicated by icc staff they realize that there are many that participate in many different boards. This is quite a change in direction from the "members only" "Communities if Interests" now known as "the things of things"... barf...

The "thing of things" as recognized by the cow IS, doa, pos, dog dirt, road apples, etc...

To quote Daddy-O: "WOW..if nothing else we drummed up some business in Denver." You bet. At least in the go round. Lets see who who makes the finals?

Welcome John and NH09... nice to put names/faces together.

Lurk away... If nothing else, meeting people with different perspectives was great!

Busy... got a big commercial interior remodel, a new base buildings and those residential remodelers.