• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Attention code book collectors!

Glenn

I am looking for other collectors of historical code books that would like to trade their duplicates for my duplicates and help each other fill in holes in our collections. This is a barter/tase request, not an offer for sale.

Looks like my bait got a bite. That was my first goal...to connect with other collectors, and know I’m not the only nerd out there. There are so many codes and I have so many already. I figured it would be best for collectors to list their duplicates rather than their holes. My collection goes back to an original 1937 UBC. I have a lot of duplicate uniform codes back to 1964 plumbing and 1970 building. I don’t have many BOCA or SSBCI. I will make a list of my duplicates and post it, but I will say I have about 50+ duplicates available for trade.

Looks like my bait got a bite. That was my first goal...to connect with other collectors, and know I’m not the only nerd out there. There are so many codes and I have so many already. I figured it would be best for collectors to list their duplicates rather than their holes. My collection goes back to an original 1937 UBC. I have a lot of duplicate uniform codes back to 1964 plumbing and 1970 building. I don’t have many BOCA or SSBCI. I will make a list of my duplicates and post it, but I will say I have about 50+ duplicates available for trade.
Let me clarify, these 50 duplicates are pre I-code. Legacy codes.

Yep
Not a collector, just an accumulator

I think I may only go back to the 60’s or 70’s

Anyway

List away

Actually 85 duplicate copies available for trade only. Numbers in (parenthesis) are number of copies available. All are hard back unless (LL) is noted. Here goes...
Please list your duplicates and lets better each other's collections. There has got to be more code collectors/accumulators out there!!

Uniform Plumbing Codes:
Western Plumbing Officials (pre IAPMO) 1964 (2)
IAPMO 73, 76, 79(2)
ICBO 78, 79 (pre co-publishing with IAPMO)
IAPMO/ICBO 82(2), 85(2), 91, 94
UPC (LL) 94

Uniform Mechanical Code, UMC
67, 70, 76(2), 79(2), 82, 85(2), 88, 91, 94
UMC (LL) 82

Uniform Building Code, UBC
UBC vol 1. 52, 61(2), 64, 67(2), 70(2), 73(3), 76(2), 82(3), 91, 94
UBC (LL), 76, 79, 88, 82, 85, 91, 94 (vol 1 &2)
Dangerous buildings 70, 88, 85
Housing 70 (3)
Dwelling house construction 70(3), 91
Analysis of revisions 88, 91, 95, 82, 94(3)
Supplement of changes 86, 87, 89, 96
Security code 94

Uniform Fire Code UFC
79, 88, 85
(LL) 82, 91, 94

CABO, One and Two Family Dwelling
71 (prior to "CABO" officially forming)
(LL) 86, 89

National Electric Code
(LL) 78

Unfortunately, You are in a different land from SBCCI -- If you have those, I would definitely talk
I only have one SBCCI that I bought on ebay. Those are the codes I am missing from my collection, so if you have duplicates, then you are the guy I am looking for. Are you not interested in the history of the legacy organizations prior to their coming together? Why not expand your reference library with some of the western influence? poke-poke...

# # = # #

I have the following: (1) 1991 Standard Gas Code,
(1) 1991 Standard Fire Prevention Code, (1) 1994 Standard
Fire Prevention Code, (1) 1994 Building Code Commentary,
Vol. 1, 2 & 3, (1) 1991 Standard Building Code, (1) 1994
Standard Plumbing Code, (1) 1994 Mechanical Code
Commentary, (1) 1992 List of SBCCI Publications in one book:
(Tab 1) - Standard Amusement Device Code, (Tab 2) -

Standard Housing Code, (Tab 3) - Standard Swimming Pool
Code, (Tab 4) - Standard Unsafe Building Abatement Code,
(Tab 5) - SBCCI Bylaws, (Tab 6) - SBCCI Interpretations,
(Tab 7) - SBCCI Standards, which include: Standard for
Proscenium Curtains, Standard for Existing High Rise Buildings,
Standard for Floodplain Management, Standard for Soil
Expansion, Standard for Sound Control and the Standard for
Sound Control, and finally, ...(1) 1997 Standard Building Code.

Respectfully, I would like to sell the whole lot at one time.
If you want to bid on these books, then send me a P.M....All
P.M.'s sent will be kept strictly confidential.......I absolutely
will not share any information !.......I will notify the winning
bidder when all bidding has ended.......I am requesting
payment before I ship the lot to the winning bidder.

Anyone interested ?

Thanks for your consideration ! :)

# # = # #

I feel so alone... No one else collects old code books? I thought for sure I'd find them in this forum...

Libraries and Secretary of State collect them, then you polk around online and find the olde code you need for the project verification

@ ~ @ ~ @

Update on my list `O Code Books for sale:

I had a successful Bidder and have sold them.

Thanks for playing !

@ ~ @ ~ @

Reactions: cda
I had a few 80's uniform code books but when we moved I made the mistake of asking the other party should we take them to the new house? And that party said, "NO!" So they went in the recycling bin at the street curb.

Can I keep...NO!:mad:

What about this one... You'll never use them again..

Then I asked about this white dress I found with a bunch of lace on it in this plastic bag and she said, and I quote "Are you a complete idiot?"

Some stuff is just worth more to others I guess?

Sorry Glenn, didn't know anyone cared about old code books. But wedding dresses, now that's a different story.

Well, Pcinspector1, maybe you're right. Maybe no one cares about old code books... But how can that be? Seriously...I thought you guys were die-hard code junkies. I thought I was in good company... So sad... There is so much fun history in the books and so much important history that should not be forgotten as we charge forth every three years to re-write the damn thing. I still have all my available extras and will always be holding on to them for a future trade.

I know there has to be more people that collect old code books. I'm seriously so disappointed to see such little response. I was certain this was the site to connect me to my fellow collectors.

Glen, one thing is the codes books are typically paid for and owned by the Municipality, I know very few contractors that even own a code book and the few that do, typically are electricians studying for their masters. Some Muni's have to declare them as surplus before you can remove them from the building.

But when I'm out and about a flees I'll look for you.:)

Glen, one thing is the codes books are typically paid for and owned by the Municipality, I know very few contractors that even own a code book and the few that do, typically are electricians studying for their masters. Some Muni's have to declare them as surplus before you can remove them from the building.

But when I'm out and about a flees I'll look for you.:)
Thanks! I collect other antiques too, and I have never once been able to find one that way, but I hope you have better luck than me. I'm bidding on a 1935 North Caroline code book right now. 2 hours left...hope I win. I don't spend more than $20 or so, but I have a lot of good stuff to trade!!

Oh you "kids", I have a 50 year collection dating back to 1900 City of LA, all UBC (they are available on a CD too, ask ICC). Check with AIA chapters as to retiring architects and engineers. Also have NY, St Louis, Boston and others (smiling). Lots of early elect, plumbing, fire and steel manuals. Been a hobby and great in court.