• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Attic access (R807) - Screws hold shut?

The code does not say anything about screws, locks or fasteners

Code:
SECTION R807ATTIC ACCESSRS07.1 Attic access. Buildings with combustible ceiling orroof construction shall have an attic access opening to atticareas that exceed 30 square feet (2.8 m2) and have a verticalheight of 30 inches (762 mm) or greater. The vertical heightshall be measured from the top of the ceiling framing membersto the underside of the roof framing members.The rough-framed opening shall not be less than 22 inchesby 30 inches (559 mm by 762 mm) and shall be located in ahallway or other readily accessible location. When located in awall, the opening shall be a minimum of 22 inches wide by 30inches high. When the access is located in a ceiling, minimumunobstructed headroom in the attic space shall be 30 inches(762 mm) at some point above the access measured verticallyfrom the bottom of ceiling framing members. See the CaliforniaMechanical Code for access requirements where mechanicalequipment is located in attics.

"...readily accessible location..." Does not mean the hatch shall be readily accessible.

Okay, I agree that this is not addressed in the code, and therefore, allowable. It is code that screws are fasteners. It is my opinion that any accessable opening needs to utilize hardware instead of fasteners as a means of future panel removal. I have a huge problem with sub-par handymen in my area. These guys like to cut every corner they can. I'm not gonna let them get away with it.

p_SCDW_116_09.jpg

Airproof-Access-Panel-with-Water-Shield-XBT-007-.jpg

The second one isn't going to meet the energy code.. the only good purpose I see for an attic access is for equipment installed in the attic. Fire Department will get in if they need to; accesses allow moisture and infiltration. My opinion is my own, however, crafted largely with input from my dear late friend, Brent Synder.

Like I already said, it is acceptable. My opinion is that it isn't what the code intended. My opinion really doesn't matter, but I'm sure I could get 9 out of 10 builders to remove the screws and replace them with some sort of hardware.Posting pictures doesn't change my mind or make it any better. Here is a perfect example:

View attachment 681

View attachment 681

/monthly_2013_03/572953c6eeb33_Deflect-olinttrap.jpg.e03a1666381e31569cc149941f9086a7.jpg

"but I'm sure I could get 9 out of 10 builders to remove the screws and replace them with some sort of hardware."

And that is what our good friend brudgers would call, making them "dance the dance"..............................

MikeC said:
My opinion really doesn't matter, but I'm sure I could get 9 out of 10 builders to remove the screws and replace them with some sort of hardware.
The obvious substitute for a screw is a nail.

402.4.1 Building thermal envelope. The building thermal envelope shall be durably sealed to limit infiltration. The sealing methods between dissimilar materials shall allow for differential expansion and contraction. The following shall be caulked, gasketed, weatherstripped or otherwise sealed with an air barrier material, suitable film or solid material:

It sounds like I could use molding to frame the opening, line the molding with weatherstripping, and lay a piece of plywood with insulation board glued onto the back. I wouldn't even have to use screws or nails........

This may work in the lower states, but I am sure that it wouldn't work up north due to attic insulation requirements.

Builder Bob said:
402.4.1 Building thermal envelope. The building thermal envelope shall be durably sealed to limit infiltration. The sealing methods between dissimilar materials shall allow for differential expansion and contraction. The following shall be caulked, gasketed, weatherstripped or otherwise sealed with an air barrier material, suitable film or solid material:It sounds like I could use molding to frame the opening, line the molding with weatherstripping, and lay a piece of plywood with insulation board glued onto the back. I wouldn't even have to use screws or nails........

This may work in the lower states, but I am sure that it wouldn't work up north due to attic insulation requirements.
I don't know. . . works here. . .

Builder Bob said:
402.4.1 Building thermal envelope. The building thermal envelope shall be durably sealed to limit infiltration. The sealing methods between dissimilar materials shall allow for differential expansion and contraction. The following shall be caulked, gasketed, weatherstripped or otherwise sealed with an air barrier material, suitable film or solid material:It sounds like I could use molding to frame the opening, line the molding with weatherstripping, and lay a piece of plywood with insulation board glued onto the back. I wouldn't even have to use screws or nails........

Actually that is how we do it up here, but we add some layers of xps on the hatch for insulation.

R311.1 Means of egress. All dwellings shall be provided with a means of egress as provided in this section. The means of egress shall provide a continuous and unobstructed path of vertical and horizontal egress travel from all portions of the dwelling to the exterior of the dwelling at the required egress door without requiring travel through a garage.
Okay, I know that your initial thought is that the attic is not habitable. The problem with that thought is that the IRC defines dwelling as the building, not just the habitable portions. My point is that the IRC is not perfect. A door is an obstruction. A hatch, regardless of whether or not it is screwed shut, is an obstruction. The IRC considers an access panel to be a "removable obstruction". If building codes were perfect, this forum wouldn't exist.

I am going to tangent this.

Recently saw a blog from a SFR House Inspector (point of sale inspections).

They had issues with some SFR builders not wanting them to inspect the attics of new houses. Saying the access was sealed......

From that pov, what is your take on sealing the lead, etc. Especially this case where a tooled method of securement is used.

mark handler said:
The code does not say anything about screws, locks or fasteners
Code:
SECTION R807ATTIC ACCESSRS07.1 Attic access. Buildings with combustible ceiling orroof construction shall have an attic access opening to atticareas that exceed 30 square feet (2.8 m2) and have a verticalheight of 30 inches (762 mm) or greater. The vertical heightshall be measured from the top of the ceiling framing membersto the underside of the roof framing members.The rough-framed opening shall not be less than 22 inchesby 30 inches (559 mm by 762 mm) and shall be located in ahallway or other readily accessible location. When located in awall, the opening shall be a minimum of 22 inches wide by 30inches high. When the access is located in a ceiling, minimumunobstructed headroom in the attic space shall be 30 inches(762 mm) at some point above the access measured verticallyfrom the bottom of ceiling framing members. See the CaliforniaMechanical Code for access requirements where mechanicalequipment is located in attics.

"...readily accessible location..." Does not mean the hatch shall be readily accessible.
Otherwise....it would have to be in a wall....see garage receptacle thread......

very interesting thread. I do not think I have seen a screwed attic access pnl. with that being said. I do not think I would have approved it. After reading this thread I think my thinking has changed.