• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Board of health abuse of power?

Is there a shower in the basement bathroom? If so that is probably why they are flagging it. Remove the shower.

My health dept says that if the room his readily accessible to a bathroom w/a shower it "may" possibly be considered a sleeping room.

I sleep in my living room, when the show is boring, is that a bedroom?????????

The assumption are correct, the septic system is sized the pert test calculation for leach field size based on the number of bed rooms the house at 110GPD.

The BOH in MA. can be an elected board there for answers to the voters at election time or appointed by an authority and answers to them to a point, however is bound by the state septic code. If you are aggrieved by the BOH employee/agent decision you can appeal to that to the authority

I my town, and I have never questioned it, a 9 room house is considered a 4 bedroom house and a 10 room house is considered a 5 bedroom house regardless of what you label the rooms.

For the BOH a bedroom must have the expectation of privacy, bathroom and laundry rooms do not count as a room in the total room count.

Suggestion ask the BOH if you put a deed restriction on the property that it will only be considered a 3 bed rooms hose would that ease their minds?

What the problem the BOH is heading off is the under design of a septic system for the number of bedroom and the the sale of the house at a late date with the relator misrepresenting the number of bedrooms in the house and the subsequent failure of the septic system, coming back to the BOH and why did you let them do it. It happen all the time, been there, done that had to straiten the mess out more than once. .
I’m not sure who is the higher power of my local office. I’m not sure how I figure it out. Any ideas?

I’m not sure who is the higher power of my local office. I’m not sure how I figure it out. Any ideas?

If the city has a web site

Look for the department head or whatever they call it

Look for the mayor or whatever they call it

Look for the city manager, if they have one

If the city has a web site

Look for the department head or whatever they call it

Look for the mayor or whatever they call it

Look for the city manager, if they have one
NOOO!!! Do not follow this.

First, it is not the city. It is the Board of Health which is probably at the county level.

Two, get a grip and work through things. No need to stir every politician up when you haven't even started asking the right questions yet.

I dont believe the question I asked on Nov 25th ..... "does this basement bathroom have a shower" has been answered.

I would bet that it does show a shower and that is why the health dept is considering it as a "possible" bedroom / Apt use.

If so.... delete the shower and move on.

I dont believe the question I asked on Nov 25th ..... "does this basement bathroom have a shower" has been answered.

I would bet that it does show a shower and that is why the health dept is considering it as a "possible" bedroom / Apt use.

If so.... delete the shower and move on.
I see your point, but it shouldn't matter.

Get the AHJ to review their own code language. Only when a bedroom is added, can they require improvement.

I see your point, but it shouldn't matter.

Get the AHJ to review their own code language. Only when a bedroom is added, can they require improvement.
my bathroom would have a shower as for use by the gym right next to it. the entire basement is 1200sqft with 2 exterior walk out doors and a stairwell to rest of home. I emailed them back on the 11/24 asking for the regulation that shows that "adding bathroom in a basement means added bedrooms" for the 3 time and still no response at all. Extremely unprofessional. I have to hide my phone number to get them to pick up the phone at the offices, and of course we aren't allowed to enter the offices. All this while im being polite still. Very soon ill have to use some back hand moves to shame them into doing there jobs correctly.
and to the letter of the law.

I agree it shouldnt matter

You cannot penalize someone for something that "may" happen in the future.

But... My County Health Dept view any renovation or expansion of 100% of existing floor area, or 1000 sq ft or the addition of a bedroom requires their approval.

My health dept says that if the room, (any room, wheter you call it an office/rec room, gym that has privacy and is readily accessible to a bathroom w/a shower it "may" possibly be considered a sleeping room.

I dont always agree but sometimes I do...

Especially when someone is putting an obvious 2nd floor master bedroom over an existing attached garage and calling it a Rec room or family room just to avoid having to deal with any septic issues.

I bet it is a shower that they are not liking...

Is that what the health department says or is it an established by law of your region? Because it being a law i can understand and would follow, but in my case im yet to be giving a legal reason why i cant do my proposed plan besides of incompetence.

Take it to their Board of Appeals, I would think that there would be intelligent life there. :rolleyes:

Is that what the health department says or is it an established by law of your region? Because it being a law i can understand and would follow, but in my case im yet to be giving a legal reason why i cant do my proposed plan besides of incompetence.
Yes it was in an amendment to the County Sanitary Code effective Nov 7, 2008. I am in NY though...

Jumping through hoops because the BOH is using a "heavy badge mentality" is BS in MHO. Go to the top and demand the code language to support their position.

Just went through a septic approval for an expansion- during my research I found some interesting info.

This doesn't apply explicitly to Mass, but I imagine you might find something in the design manual for your state if they post one. In CT, specifically, there is a clause, as follows:
Per the CT Dep Public Health website
Design Manual Part 1 pdf (General Design Principles) Page 7 in the document, 12 in the PDF if interested
DEFINITION OF A BEDROOM: Within today’s custom homes it is not uncommon to see exercise rooms , sewing rooms, studies, offices, dens, family rooms and other similarly labeled non-bedroom spaces shown on residential house plans. However, these same rooms can and are used as bedrooms when a family grows or the house is sold to another family which has different needs. To make sure the home is served by a sewage disposal system which is sized properly, the system must be based on the potential number of bedrooms in the house.

There are certain standards by which a room can be deemed a potential bedroom. They provide: 1. A defined habitable space per Building Code requirements. The exception to this statement would pertain to obvious future habitable space (such as the unfinished second floor in a “cape” style home) which has the appropriate structural shell but has not been “finished” to meet Building Code standards for habitable space. 2. Privacy to the occupants. 3. Full bathroom facilities (containing either a bathtub or shower) which are conveniently located to the bedroom served. 4. Entry from a common area, not through a room already deemed a bedroom.

Consideration should be given to the number of rooms in a new dwelling which may be used as bedrooms, even though the builder may not intend to use them as such. This is particularly true for homes built on speculation, since the builder has no control over who purchases the dwelling. Generally, all rooms on the second floor of a two story house, except for the bathroom and hallway, are considered bedrooms. Two bedrooms houses are allowed by the Public Health Code. However, such buildings would be expected to be relatively small in total floor area. A significant number of homes are being constructed with habitable space above a two or three car garage. This space may be accessible from either the first or second floors or both. They are typically labeled as second floor playrooms or bonus rooms, may be quite large in area and have the potential to be a bedroom. Using the above criteria, this space should be deemed a bedroom when access is from the second floor and a full bathroom is readily available. The same designation would apply if access were provided from both the second and first floor. It would not be designated a bedroom if the only way to gain access to this area above the garage were perhaps from a first floor stairway when the first floor does not have a full bathroom facility, or access is from the garage. Some latitude can be applied to the above when dealing with large homes, consisting of more than 5 bedrooms. It would not be unusual for this type of home to have a truly functional library, an exercise room, or a home office. However, before a bedroom designation can be made there should be some architectural feature which would typically exclude it from being used as a bedroom (such as, bookshelves around perimeter of library, sauna built into exercise room, etc.). Rooms on the first floor of two story homes are generally easier to deal with. If rooms do not have access to full bathroom facilities on the first floor or are constructed with large archways, or, where entrance is through another room, they would not be deemed bedrooms.

Basement areas can be utilized for bedrooms in certain circumstances. Walk-out basements with large windows, sliding glass or conventional doors could allow the area to be converted to a bedroom in the future. The key to this situation is the availability of plumbing fixtures on this level of the house. Plumbing plans should be examined at the time of initial construction to determine if plumbing will be “roughed in” which would provide access for future bathroom facilities. If a full bathroom (with a tub or shower) is shown on the plans then all rooms in the basement area shall be considered bedrooms when they meet the aforementioned “potential bedroom” standards.
There's a bit more, but imagine MA has a very similar stipulation.
There may be an issue with your plans that screams an intention to make a bedroom area. I think they can request you to identify as reserve leach field for your existing conversion, and an actual addition to the leach field if there's a genuine concern for a bedroom. If you lack that area, you may be out of luck.
I'll try to do a cursory search for your state, but this is a pretty serious concern on their part, especially in communities where everyone's summer houses that have 500 square foot leach fields are overloaded with 4 person families. This is a VERY serious concern in the North East specifically. Contact someone from the state dept of health to get a general bearing.