• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Building Collapse in Surfside, Miami-Dade County

There is an article making the rounds that claims that the reinforcement between the slabs and the columns is less than what the plans specify. I saw pictures that made me wonder about that but having not seen the plans I couldn’t be sure.….It just looked like there wasn’t enough rebar.

This is typical of an older building with a wrap around balcony when restoration is being performed. The balconies are the most restored component as the are also the most vulnerable to moisture from the salty, sea air. While many maintenance personnel just patch spalling, this is the true method of repair.
BF5FD7CE-4F78-4BA9-8AB9-2EC21734539E.JPG