• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Can an exit serve two buildings and be a separate building in and of itself?

brudgers said:
First, I said "Exiting by".Second a fire barrier does not create a horizontal exit nor does it separate buildings.
Thirdly, a fire barrier complying with Section 706 with a fire-resistance rating of not less than 2 hours can create a horizontal exit per 1022.2 (Separation) of the 2006 IBC...and therefore, would separate buildings, and, or refuge areas.

mtlogcabin said:
That was great LMAO

With your permission I may use it as a signature on the new ICC site
It is common knowledge, or should be, and therefore I have no copyright on it.

I am however, still trying to come up with a good acronym for the NEC. I am open to any suggestions...I am stuck on Nothings Ever Clear, but that is only really applicable to 20% of the code.

NEC = Not Even Close

NEC = Numerous Electrical Conundrums

NEC = Not-understood Electrical Code

NEC = National Electrical Confusion

?????????????????

not enough confusion

no electrodes crossed

nother electrical camaïeu

Last edited by a moderator:
No electricians culled (during the making of this document)

Never Electrify Crickets (during the making of this document)

Needed Excellent Creativity (during the making of this document)

I think we are on to something with the electrical confusion.

In Yoda-ese, it could translate to, "Not Electrical Contractor" does make.

Back to original Poster question

ApartmentBalconyStrech.jpg