• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Adrienne

Does anyone have experience with getting Carriage Units approved, especially in CA or Los Angeles? We are trying to clarify if the footprint has to be EXACTLY the same all the way up (IE a giant cube), or if you are allowed to have the footprint get smaller as you go up. Also, does the no overhang rule mean that you can't have any kind of protection at the entry door?

Yes, and this would make it seem like the footprint would have to be exactly the same, or essentially a cube... Which is surprising because you would think that if the footprint decreased as it went up then it would still be within the spirit of the code.

It is my read that it can get smaller, just not any larger.

Think of the footprint like your site plan and minimum setbacks.

So is the only difference between a townhouse and carriage

Accessibility??

So is the only difference between a townhouse and carriage

Accessibility??
No, a carriage unit has to meet the definition. Occur over a private garage, footprint, etc.

All carriage units are townhouses, but not all townhouses are carriage units.

upload_2020-4-7_14-4-24-png.6591

So what is the difference??

You have to have a carriage??

Is this an Amish code

So what is the difference??

You have to have a carriage??

Is this an Amish code
If you have a site with limited area, you can ignore the right thing of providing accessibility, and put the dwelling units above the garages. Units are therefore not on an accessible route (no lift, just stairs) and Cali is ok with it.

So to be correct, if it is a multifamily building, the living space for each unit has to be completely over the garage, cannot overlap over another garage. And all floors above the garage have to be part of the same living unit ... no third floor apartment without a garage.

So to be correct, if it is a multifamily building, the living space for each unit has to be completely over the garage, cannot overlap over another garage. And all floors above the garage have to be part of the same living unit ... no third floor apartment without a garage.
That is my read as well.

To be a townhouse, has to be open on two sides and to the sky. These are basically row houses with garage units on the ground level.

That is my read as well.

To be a townhouse, has to be open on two sides and to the sky. These are basically row houses with garage units on the ground level.

And pray tell can a townhouse have a garage?

It is my read that it can get smaller, just not any larger.

Think of the footprint like your site plan and minimum setbacks.

So our plan checker is taking the stance that the footprint has to be exactly the same, no smaller or larger. Are you aware of any official definitions that explicitly say that the footprint just can't be larger than the garage footprint?

The planchecker is dumb....The definition does not say "the entire footprint", so you are using "the garage footprint".......but it is California...

The planchecker is dumb....The definition does not say "the entire footprint", ..
Sorry, i think the plan checker is interpreting the definition correctly. Although i would think they would be more concerned with living spaces that were larger than the garage, or overlapped another garage.
“The footprint of the garage or garages is used as the footprint for the remaining floor or floors of the units above“

Yes...I would think that (interpret) they don't want you building "mushroom buildings" with tiny garages and giant living spaces....Do they define footprint anywhere? If you want to get crazy with it, is the footprint the walls or the roof overhangs? Can it not have overhangs lager than the foundation?