• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Community Hall

All bets are off when the facility is rented out. The occupant load will be the people that show up. You can count on the uses expanding. It will, after all, be a nice, new building waiting for folks to come up with ideas.

Wood frame (type V), basement is not a story and the shell is up. The CEO (me) has held things up over the sprinkler issue and the Town Supervisor is very unhappy. When the original design for the building was enlarged by the supervisor I informed the Town Board that the building required sprinklers because of the increased occupant load. Now the supervisor is making me out to be against the project. His contention was the engineer who stamped the plans made no mention of sprinklers.

Yes, it is one story with a walk out basement.

Not into 504.4 IBC??
Wood frame (type V), basement is not a story and the shell is up. The CEO (me) has held things up over the sprinkler issue and the Town Supervisor is very unhappy. When the original design for the building was enlarged by the supervisor I informed the Town Board that the building required sprinklers because of the increased occupant load. Now the supervisor is making me out to be against the project. His contention was the engineer who stamped the plans made no mention of sprinklers.

Tell the nice supervisor to have a set down with the engineer and you can show him in black and white the requirements

Than see if he still wants to stamp them without any variances, reductions, etc

Or just let the town supervisor sign and inspect the project

The County has been handling administration of the bids for the various parts of the project so I have asked the County Engineering department to review the plans and if they find I am incorrect in my determination to produce a letter documenting why sprinklers are not required. Fortunately the Town Board is in agreement with the sprinkler system but the Supervisor is searching for a way out.

Thanks to ever one for their input.

Reactions: JBI
Stick to your guns jwilly. When in doubt call your regional technical services office for input/clarification.
For a County owned building the County Engineers can make whatever call they want, but for a Town owned project it is the Town's call.

Call it the lower level but it doesn't meet the requirement as a story and the total height is < 40'
Stick to your guns jwilly. When in doubt call your regional technical services office for input/clarification.
For a County owned building the County Engineers can make whatever call they want, but for a Town owned project it is the Town's call.

I sent an email to get opinion and clarification from DOS

The most aggravating part of all this is the Town (supervisor and board) were aware of all of this before they went ahead with the project. I also informed them that a hydrant test should have been done prior proceeding with the larger design but they seemed to ignore that so consequently the fire protection system became a much more expensive project.

This entire project has been of the "Ready, Shoot , Aim" mentality.

I have not doubt I will prevail but be quite unpopular with those looking for an early grand opening.

The most aggravating part of all this is the Town (supervisor and board) were aware of all of this before they went ahead with the project. I also informed them that a hydrant test should have been done prior proceeding with the larger design but they seemed to ignore that so consequently the fire protection system became a much more expensive project.

This entire project has been of the "Ready, Shoot , Aim" mentality.

I have not doubt I will prevail but be quite unpopular with those looking for an early grand opening.

unpopular with those looking for an early grand opening

That is why you get the big bucks