• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Community Hall

Not supposed to waive stuff unless the city has an ordnance saying that !!!

Only equal or interpretation

Just show them the Rhode Island night club, as your opening remark

Not supposed to waive stuff unless the city has an ordnance saying that !!!
Only equal or interpretation
Just show them the Rhode Island night club, as your opening remark

cda - NYS has a statewide program based on legislation and implemented through regulation, that provides for relief to be granted by the State where appropriate.
That jwilly3879 has requested an opinion is the correct process.
Oddly enough that the Supervisor has requested a waiver (technically 'variance') is equally appropriate.
In order to qualify for the variance a hearing will likely be necessary, and the CEO's position will be heard.
Also the Board of Review will likely require something to increase safety in lieu of sprinklers.

Reactions: cda
They may also ask for a higher type of construction (even going to V-A would provide increased safety), additional exits, dry hydrants, or any of a number of improvements to compensate.

Can exit 300+ now with greatest travel distance <50 feet. Problem is Building is framed already and the cost of the sprinkler system is over $100k because of the water issue.

Reactions: JBI
I had something like this once. Of all things it was a fire company that was fighting me about sprinklers in a new fire house. I think they felt embarrassed about it and eventually caved and put the sprinklers in.

The Town is waiting for the sprinkler bids to come in. 70K or less they will install, over then they will apply for a hardship variance.

The project is funded by grant money and I hope more funds could become available.

Just an update. Thanks to the NYSDOS for backing may determination of the A-3/A-2 uses with A-2 driving the sprinkler requirement. It helped me convince the Town Board that they should lead by example. Sprinkler bis came in at 50K and they will be dropping their request for a variance and installing the system

Thanks to the members here for their support.