• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Does Anyone Read & Comprehend Anymore?

It's not just you; I've experienced the same thing. It's like some folks just don't pay attention to the details.

The designer put a name on a room and the room become that, I put the number of bed rooms on the OC that comply with all the requirements and wait for the fall out.

I often state that "if everybody knew what they were doing, I'd be out of a job."

The corollary to that is the followup statement, "I have no concerns over job security."
I have done similar. Usually something like "If architects and contractors did their jobs at 70% or better I would be out of my job." Fortunately for me, they don't average out at 70%. Some are really good, many are ok, but the bad ones drop that percentage through the floor.

I have done similar. Usually something like "If architects and contractors did their jobs at 70% or better I would be out of my job." Fortunately for me, they don't average out at 70%. Some are really good, many are ok, but the bad ones drop that percentage through the floor

Ayup.

I just spent 3 days writing up a plan review on a second submittal for an office fitout in a storage warehouse building. The first plan review letter ran five pages (with a couple of boilerplate paragraphs about how if we miss something on the plans, it's still a violation and we can require correction in the field, etc.). Plans were drawn by a civil engineer who fancies himself to be a building designer, and who isn't even remotely competent at it. But he's too arrogant to ever admit that he's made a mistake.

So the second submittal came in a couple of weeks ago. I rejected it with no review because the office area has a second level, which he insists is a mezzanine and which in no way qualifies as a mezzanine. (We already had a discussion about that here.) The engineer insisted that we give him a complete, written plan review -- so we did. The second plan review letter ran seven pages.

It's scary. The fire marshal hates the guy. He's a menace to society.