• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

emergency escape and garage

Yes, I know, it is the exception. I understand the dilemma posed by the original post and thread and I see points from both sides. First, I understand the real question was not one of an EERO opening to the garage, rather from the garage to the outside, I can also see the intent may not be in line with the exact language of the code. My condition is a little different but related and I figured if I looked that something like this had probably already been brought up on the forum...and I was right.
The condition I have is not whether the mechanical room needs an EERO, it doesn't. My question is that I don't think the basement level does since it is intended by the current design as a garage. It is clear garages don't require EERO's, but basements do. So the question as to whether this is a garage, or basement, or a garage in a basement?

Not into grade plane, but how is the garage not ::: RB] BASEMENT. A story that is not a story above grade plane. (see "Story above grade plane").

Is the building sunk into a hill and most of the garage is surrounded by dirt?

Not into grade plane, but how is the garage not ::: RB] BASEMENT. A story that is not a story above grade plane. (see "Story above grade plane").

Is the building sunk into a hill and most of the garage is surrounded by dirt?
Yes, it is a townhouse building on a slope.

Here is an irony I just noticed. If it is allowed today, which I think it is, then a basement finish will not be permitted....unless they then apply for a new permit on the existing building for a basement finish and reference 310.6, which allows the basement finish without an EERO as long as it is not a bedroom.

Sorry, if you looked hard enough you would see a small portion of the exterior wall is a framed wall, but I just took a snippet of the wrong unit, the one I attached is an end unit and could have an EERO if the tried.

Where in the code does it state emergency escape cannot be provided in a garage?
The better question is where in the code does it say that you can.

It would look something like this:
R310.1 Emergency escape and rescue opening required.
Emergency escape and rescue openings shall open directly into a public way, or to a yard or court that opens to a public way or to a garage.

The garage is accessory use to the dwelling unit. The garage can also be part of the basement. However, there is a required fire separation from the garage to the dwelling unit. This separation is to protect the occupants of the dwelling unit from the hazards associated with garages. The garage has an inherent risk factor due to the occupancy classification. To allow egress access through the garage would increase the risk factors for the residence of the dwelling unit trying to exit. The intent of the code is not to increase risk factors but to reduce risk factors for occupants of the dwelling unit
just wondering where the IRC says that a garage in a house is an accessory use?

It has been previously noted that the garage door is not a swinging door or a sliding door, you need one .

Ok, but do you think the drawing I uploaded has a basement that would require an EERO, or a big garage, that would not?

I don't see any definition here. Where is it?
It is an implied definition in how it functions which is to open into an open yard or public way. Your design does not do that your EERO opens into the garage therefore it does not meet the intent of the code which is for an EERO to open into a yard or public way. Going through the garage or any other room is an exit path to reach an exit not an EERO opening

It is an implied definition in how it functions which is to open into an open yard or public way. Your design does not do that your EERO opens into the garage therefore it does not meet the intent of the code which is for an EERO to open into a yard or public way. Going through the garage or any other room is an exit path to reach an exit not an EERO opening
The IRC does not imply that at all, that's just you. The IRC says every basement shall have one eero unless you have bedrooms which require individual eero's. You see, one eero is required. No mention of passing through other rooms or spaces, no mention of garage. You are trying to apply exiting requirements of the IBC that don't exist in the IRC.

R310.3 Emergency escape and rescue doors.
Where a door is provided as the required emergency escape and rescue opening, it shall be a side-hinged door or a slider. Where the opening is below the adjacent grade, it shall be provided with an area well.

Are your garage doors side hinged? Do they slide? Or does your garage also have a pedestrian door built in?

1603289214242.png

R310.3 Emergency escape and rescue doors.
Where a door is provided as the required emergency escape and rescue opening, it shall be a side-hinged door or a slider. Where the opening is below the adjacent grade, it shall be provided with an area well.

Are your garage doors side hinged? Do they slide? Or does your garage also have a pedestrian door built in?

View attachment 7083
...or you can provide an eero window

Egress and Escape from basement diagramed on the floor plans (uploaded)

The EERO is located at an exterior wall leading DIRECTLY outside to a yard that leads DIRECTLY to a ROW.

What does the term "directly" mean? Directly from where? The "Space"? Which Space, the basement?
The basement is not a space it is a level. The garage is at the basement.

I still do not see or understand where in this code it says an EERO cannot be in the garage.
Steveray has the only good argument stating fire separation is required between dwelling and garage per Section 302.6.
But my counter argument is that in Section 310 EERO is required for basements (a story), it does not say dwelling for which "garage" is not included in the definition. The intent is escape from the story. The garage is on that story.
Garage is a potentially hazordous area and may also be blocked by vehicles. Direct means without interruptions or obstacles to overcome.
Is the gARAGE INTERIOR RATED the same as the basement? Doors must be a minimum of 32", not 30

Garage is a potentially hazordous area and may also be blocked by vehicles. Direct means without interruptions or obstacles to overcome.
Is the gARAGE INTERIOR RATED the same as the basement? Doors must be a minimum of 32", not 30
Why is the garage a hazard to escape? What is the hazard? Why would the garage be blocked? Why would any other space in the basement not be blocked by interruptions or obsticles? My house to garage door is 32". I see nothing here to preclude using a garge as escape.

I see nothing here to preclude using a garage as escape.
Tell that to the plan checker that's holding you up. Apparently hearing it from the people here has had no effect. Ask the plan checker to show you an actual code book......perhaps seeing it in a book might do it for you. You have a better chance of convincing the plan checker that it's not a basement than you do of allowing an EERO to dump into a garage.

Last edited:
Tell that to the plan checker that's holding you up. Apparently hearing it from the people here has had no effect. Ask the plan checker to show you an actual code book......perhaps seeing it in a book might do it for you. You have a better chance of convincing the plan checker that it's not a basement than you do of allowing an EERO to dump into a garage.
Maybe you can show me the code section that prohibits an eero from the garage (not dumping into a garage.) Please, show me the code text.

Maybe you can show me the code section that prohibits an eero from the garage (not dumping into a garage.) Please, show me the code text.
Several people have done that already. Post #66 has me going along with "It's not a basement." That sir, is your only option.

Last edited:
Basements, habitable attics and every sleeping room shall have not less than one operable emergency escape and rescue opening. Where basements contain one or more sleeping rooms, an emergency escape and rescue opening shall be required in each sleeping room. Emergency escape and rescue openings shall open directly into a public way, or to a yard or court that opens to a public way.

There shall not be an intervening room, enclosed patio cover or garage.

Last edited:
Basements, habitable attics and every sleeping room shall have not less than one operable emergency escape and rescue opening. Where basements contain one or more sleeping rooms, an emergency escape and rescue opening shall be required in each sleeping room. Emergency escape and rescue openings shall open directly into a public way, or to a yard or court that opens to a public way.
so where is it? where does it say you cant escape through a garage? if the garage is in the basement, and if the garage opens to a public way or yard, and the opening meets the requirements of the section you have just escaped. nothing there prohibits using a garage, nothing.

OKAY it doesn't say that you can't escape through a garage. If you want to escape through a garage, be my guest....have at it. But know that there is also another way out of every basement and that's an EERO that opens up to the outside .... not the garage but directly to the outside....just as the code says.

Insist that there is a first and second floor...not a basement. The moment the word basement is uttered there is a requirement for an EERO. As it is now, there is a basement and a garage.. Were they one, the issue could be solved but they are not. One space is basement and the other is garage. Use a pen and hope for the best.

Last edited:
Check against wording in your book::::

R311.1 Means of Egress

Dwellings shall be provided with a means of egress in accordance with this section. The means of egress shall provide a continuous and unobstructed path of vertical and horizontal egress travel from all portions of the dwelling to the required egress door without requiring travel through a garage. The required egress door shall open directly into a public way or to a yard or court that opens to a public way.