• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exit Path width

T

TZJR

Good morning everyone,

I need to confirm a question on an exit path set of egress doors, We need to shift the mid landing of a switch back ramp to the left because of a clearance issue at the top of the ramp. below you will see a pair of 36" doors exiting the building, from the back side of the ramp to the doors used to be 96" and i am reducing it to 74.25" to clear a path on the upper side. This is still larger than the 72" wide doors, does anyone see any issue i am missing (PA 2015 building code), ANSI A117.1 or 2010-ADA.

Exit-area-by-ramp.jpg

Steveray,

Just for my confirmation with you, you are referring to 1005.3.2 "Egress capacity factor per person", correct?

The reason I ask, the stairways section, in 1005.3.1 notes 0.3, which does not exit here but the ramp base for convergence is there, 1005.3.2 notes for everything else except stairs 0.2

1005.3.2 Other egress components. The capacity, in
inches, of means of egress components other than stairways
shall be calculated by multiplying the occupant load
served by such component by a means of egress capacity
factor of 0.2 inch (5.1 mm) per occupant.

If this building is equipped with automatic fire sprinkler system and emergency voice/alarm communication system and occupancy is other than H or I-2, than egress capacity factor can be further reduced to 0.15 inch per occupant. See 1005.3.2 exception 1.

Hi Mike, you are "new" to the Forum but an "old" soul if you are who I think you are, "welcome".

1005.3.2 Other egress components. The capacity, in
inches, of means of egress components other than stairways
shall be calculated by multiplying the occupant load
served by such component by a means of egress capacity
factor of 0.2 inch (5.1 mm) per occupant.

Thanks Steveray, that is what I wanted to confirm.