• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

FHA Guideline vs ANSI A117.1

I was told by an attorney to forget all the requirements in the 1991 guidelines and the Design Manual. He said the guidelines lowers accessibility i could have problems later on. He said because HUD refers to ANSI A117.1 so when there are words not defined we are supposed to defer to the ANSI Standard and use that to fill in the blanks. Is this what other contractors are finding out? This would be for FHA covered dwellings and FHA tax credit funded housing.

Is there a comparison between FHA Guidelines and the ANSI A117.1 1986?
Which one allowed only one handrail down steps?

Thank you.

Building Code 2018 of Hawaii

Chapter 11 Accessibility does refer to Fair Housing Acts design and construction requirements
it does not refer to ANSI117.1

IMPO, Both are minimum accessibility requirements. The goal is not to meet the minimum code requirements, but to exceed them.

Can anyone let me know where to find in the Fhag the requirement of 100% USPS cbu's be accessible between 15 and 54 inches. I see that parking for covered units only needs to be at 2%. Is the accessible parking supposed to match the 100% or masybe 100% of the covered units? The only reference I could find is access to mailbox area in the FHAG 2 Table "Basic Components for Accessible and Usable public and Common Use Areas or Facilities page 9505 item 14. mailbox areas. If this is the only reference does it mean the swimming pools and playgrounds will also need lifts and ramps to be 100% accessible?
How many access suits/attorneys do you have in HI?

My understanding it that the DOJ does not enforce the rules and regulations for the design and construction of CBU only the US Postal Service has that control. The US Access Board has enforcement of accessibility by way of the ABA over all Federal Agencies. Not the DOJ.