• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades

Frost Protection of Foundation/Footing

Papio Bldg Dept

Platinum Member
High Desert said:
mtlogcabin, thank you. that's the way I also read it. Your wall would have to meet the footing width of Table R403.1.
The only place we allow less than 12 inches is in on frost protected stoops.

steveray

Sawhorse
The only place I have seen a wall w/o footings is Superior Walls precast, but they are engineered anyway, so I have not had to make the call on the illogical code contrdiction....yet....

Paul Sweet

Sawhorse
A century ago it was common to excavate down to the frost line and build stone or brick foundation walls right on the subsoil. Stone foundations were typically 16" or thicker, so they didn't have projections at the botton. Brick walls would typically have a few courses corbeled out another wythe or two. The verbiage for the foundation wall to extend below the frost line is probably based on this archaic construction method.

gbhammer

Platinum Member
It only took one hundred responses to go medieval on the thread. Gotta love this forum.