• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Furnace plugged into the wall

Thanks for all your replies but the speed limit comparison is simply not true . If that police officer doesn't know why,although he is not required to know why, that's his stupidity. Granted engineers made roads for maximum speed limits,but...during the energy crisis all hiways ,went to 55 mph. The government does that... Not engineers. The same hiways in parts of the USA are 85 mph. Again,puppets that you accept this for an answer. (Manufacturers) .like I said the people who wright the NEC and or fire people.whatever you want to call them. Perfect example is the NEC told the manufacturers that they now need to put cords on garbage disposers and dishwashers. I'm sorry but please... Don't ask me for one second to believe that the manufacturer tells the code people what to do.. remember this is the United States of America. The people ultimately vote and make the rules . Not money making manufacturers. Lobbyist lobbyist lobbyist that get paid to pay people In power legally or sometimes not. I'm just tired of stupid codes that make no sense. Stop and think. A lot of them are perfectly safe. And if they claim there not...it's the most rediclous reasoning that anyone should believe. Wow this is a long one.hey I'm an ass what can I say. Common sense is a thing that used to mean so much, seams no more . No such thing as common anymore. So people will now do illegal things because they know it won't pass code. Thinking they know how. Where as they could have done it legally because they could have afforded to pay.
You claim this is a feature that many people want. This means there would be a lot of market drive for a manufacturer to make a line like this.

The code does not prohibit a cord for this product. This means a manufacturer is free to provide this product.

You claim that there is nothing unsafe about this installation method. This means manufacturer engineers could easily design this product and take it to market.

Based on these assumptions, there should be these products in the market already, but there isn't. So we are left with two options: wither every single furnace manufacturer is incompetent, or you do not understand electrical engineering enough to understand what the potential safety issue is with the proposed arrangement.

You claim this is a feature that many people want. This means there would be a lot of market drive for a manufacturer to make a line like this.

The code does not prohibit a cord for this product. This means a manufacturer is free to provide this product.

You claim that there is nothing unsafe about this installation method. This means manufacturer engineers could easily design this product and take it to market.

Based on these assumptions, there should be these products in the market already, but there isn't. So we are left with two options: wither every single furnace manufacturer is incompetent, or you do not understand electrical engineering enough to understand what the potential safety issue is with the proposed arrangement.
The lobbyist for the manufacturers of the expensive transfer switches pay a lot of money to make sure they don't change the codes. Because the inspector will not pass it if I do put a cord on it. If the manufacturer does allow it,the expensive transfer switch manufacturers will lose a lot of money. That's the answer.