• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Gas logs

brudgers said:
The way the city attorney explained it to me; if you are consistent, you are protected. Even if you are consistently wrong.
The city attorney obviously felt the need to include the "even if" clause when speaking of your efforts.

I'm sure you were humiliated.

3 days later when you finally realized what he was talking about.

p.s. I'm glad to see the man-crush thing is still alive and well between the two of you. It's simply adorable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ice: The SOB of Anaheim went so far as to call my SOB who concurred and who called me to tell me so.

KZQ: Seems like the SOB has established the policy.

Ice: Just in case either SOB is looking in: So far, nobody has objected when I have required the hardware and despite your instruction, I get it every time.

KZQ: After having been informed of the policy you persist. Around here that’s a CLM (career limiting move).

FB: You can't enforce a requirement on something that is not installed. Regardless of your personal preference. Period.

Ice: Well until they break my fingers I guess I can.

KZQ: SOB’s can read and while yours proally doesn’t know you as ICE. I’ll bet he will remember the conversation he had with the other SOB. Another CLM.

Gbhammer: Until such a time as he is called on it by the contractor or property owner why stop.

KZQ: Because his supervisor already called him on it.

TBO: Seeing "what goes on in his area" doesn't justify blatantly disregarding the code, and his supervisor's direction.

Gbhammer: he has some latitude here his policy has been set and he is consistent in his enforcement.

KZQ: Are you suggesting that an inspector could support that that was his consistent policy when the SOB already disagreed?

Gbhammer: California Tort Claims Act of 1963; California public officials are absolutely immune to malicious prosecution cases. "...even if he acts maliciously and without probable cause."

KZQ: That seems incredible but if you say so, it’s so. However it doesn’t mean that Ice will still have a job.

Bill

All I can say is over zealous ARCO (Anal Retentive Code Official). Oh I forgot, many, many lives have been saved because of this.

Well somebody has to be the worst inspector ever on two legs and it looks like I am carrying the nomination. But wait.....one, two, three legs........are you guys sure about this?

Tiger

Putting a damper hold open clamp in a masonary fireplace without gas logs installed could be construed as a violation of 2009 IBC 2111.7.1 Damper requiring the damper be put in place.

ICE said:
Well somebody has to be the worst inspector ever on two legs and it looks like I am carrying the nomination. But wait.....one, two, three......are you guys sure about this?Tiger
Don't worry ICE Tiger, you maybe a lot of things to a lot of people, but you aren't even close to the worst building inspector...and I think your SOB would have made that clear to you by now if you were.

It's funny how ya’ll find ICE to be getting so thin. I know you're all worried that there may be a green code violation, and some poor contractor is being picked on.

If I were a betting man I would say that most who doth protest do so over ICE's attitude toward his detractors than to the implementation of his policy.

OK

Done

Just for the record, in our jurisdiction we would not require the hardware it is no longer our policy to do so. We used to enforce a lot of things because we thought people would do something with out permits if we gave them an inch. We did so without any fear of legal repercussion because our policies were clear and consistent. We stopped doing it, it took six or seven years to get it to the point where we recommended the change to the powers that be, we decided we could not tell people they had to do more than the adopted code required because we just knew they planned a violation. We changed the policies for the most part because over the last 6 years the builders and contractors in the area have become more responsible and conscientious of what the ICC code requirements are. That is not to say that there are not those fly by night hacks out there who can’t drive a nail much less find a code book in the library.

I didn't single out ICE for anything. I would have made the same comments to anyone that posted the same information and situation. The point I was trying to make is you need a valid code section to enforce anything you write up. If you think the code is wrong and should say something else, then change the code. Don't stretch it to something you want it to say based on "what ifs" and "what they might do."

This was sprinkled amongst demands and pronouncements at another thread.

texasbo said:
If you don't know, how about putting your "chief" on the line?

I checked your website, and couldn't find anything under "dirt daubers", "rats" , "intergallactic" or "stature", so I need some direction. Should I call some of your local HVAC contractors? I'm sure they could point me in the right direction.
This came to me as a private message the last time he thought I was out of line.

KZQuixote said:
If I was contracting in your jurisdiction I'd eat you for lunch.Bill
The rest of you will have to excuse me if I seem wrong in my approach to such people. In my minds eye, they are characters...... cartoon characters. Yosemite Sam and Foghorn Leghorn.....see if you can put the cartoon with the character.

Remember that what I do has no reflection on you.

This is just a forum.

Almost all of you are a 1000 or more miles away and for many I'm a world away.

Almost none of you work a territory that is even remotely similar to mine and never have/never will.

So the next time I say something you find to be outrageous, pause for a moment and remember it's just him. Who cares ....really now, think about it. Does it matter so much that I said something at a forum? You come up with stupid **** like he's gonna be out of a job and they can be sued over a $2 clamp. Get real....reality is civil service with a union in California. I could sell and install the clamps until I was told no. I could shoot clamps through their front door and all would be forgiven with counseling.

In the words of Rodney King "**** you people, I don't want to get along"

We aren't all protected by the law to do whatever we deem the code should intend. Must be nice to have all that power.

ICE said:
"I could sell and install the clamps until I was told no. I could shoot clamps through their front door and all would be forgiven with counseling. In the words of Rodney King "**** you people, I don't want to get along"
Dude you've already been told you can't require them. Now you you're boasting that you, a public employee, could require them, sell them and install them with impunity? Where's the SOB when we need him?

Note to SOB, Ice is way beyond counseling. Shooting clamps through front doors!?!?

Actually I've been exchanging with the SOB (slightly different acronym) all along.

"and all would be forgiven with counseling." there's something wrong here. Can you folks pick it out?

And I realize that you "don't want to get along"

Bill/Foghorn

KZQuixote said:
Dude you've already been told you can't require them. Now you you're boasting that you, a public employee, could require them, sell them and install them with impunity? Where's the SOB when we need him?Actually I've been exchanging with the SOB (slightly different acronym) all along.

Foghorn
Well Sam 50% is long odds huh.

All that power...and the "reality of civil service with a union in California".

High Desert said:
We aren't all protected by the law to do whatever we deem the code should intend. Must be nice to have all that power.

I'm making sure to copy this madness, so that you don't erase it as you often do when you post one of your delirious rants. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't needed as evidence some day.

You serve a great purpose on this forum; hopefully many young inspectors will read your semi-coherent drivel, and realize that you are exactly what they DON'T want to imitate.

There used to be a lot of guys in this field like you, you know, before it became more of a profession. Almost all of them were weeded out long ago. Our department even had an ICE. Had.

You asked a few bizarre lines ago if people thought you were the worst inspector. Nah, you're just exactly the same as every other power hungry maniac that struts around making up their own rules and trying to play God. No better, no worse...

Sincerely,

Yosemitebo

ICE said:
This was sprinkled amongst demands and pronouncements at another thread. This came to me as a private message the last time he thought I was out of line.

The rest of you will have to excuse me if I seem wrong in my approach to such people. In my minds eye, they are characters...... cartoon characters. Yosemite Sam and Foghorn Leghorn.....see if you can put the cartoon with the character.

Remember that what I do has no reflection on you.

This is just a forum.

Almost all of you are a 1000 or more miles away and for many I'm a world away.

Almost none of you work a territory that is even remotely similar to mine and never have/never will.

So the next time I say something you find to be outrageous, pause for a moment and remember it's just him. Who cares ....really now, think about it. Does it matter so much that I said something at a forum? You come up with stupid **** like he's gonna be out of a job and they can be sued over a $2 clamp. Get real....reality is civil service with a union in California. I could sell and install the clamps until I was told no. I could shoot clamps through their front door and all would be forgiven with counseling.

In the words of Rodney King "**** you people, I don't want to get along"

"The rest of you will have to excuse me if I seem wrong in my approach to such people. In my minds eye, they are characters...... cartoon characters. Yosemite Sam and Foghorn Leghorn.....see if you can put the cartoon with the character."

"Sincerely,

Yosemitebo"

Whoa, back up here, go look at my profile, yosemite sam has been there for most of the time. So, is it me, or TXBO?

GBHammer wrote: "Even if the state had not nixed sprinklers in one and two family dwellings we would not require them for a house that had been moved. The footings and foundations and any other new construction would need to meet the the IRC."

Fatboy wrote: "Ditto to GBH, even if we had not amended them out, I would not have required them. JMHO"

So, which is the worse offense? Enforcing made up codes or not enforcing hte real ones?

"So, which is the worse offense? Enforcing made up codes or not enforcing hte real ones?

In our jurisdiction, enforcing made up codes after being told not to.

We have sent new inspectors down the road for that.

Not enforcing real ones tends to get reeducation.

fatboy said:
"Whoa, back up here, go look at my profile, yosemite sam has been there for most of the time. So, is it me, or TXBO?
Hi FB,

We'll have to ask Ice. He's the one setting policy.

Bill