• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Good morning snow winter 2009-2010

Re: Good morning snow winter 2009-2010

Al Gore?

Didn't he create the internet?

Er I mean, didn't he create global warming?

Er, I mean, nevermind.

Good Morning Ya'll,

We'll Spring is in the air and we have a Snow Storm coming to Oklahoma on the first day of Spring (Saturday). I came here to enjoy four seasons; as opposed to the Hot Summer's and warm winters of Central Texas (Spring and Fall have been eliminated); but, I wasn't expecting this.

Tornado season has started with an F-2 tearing up a few homes in northwestern Oklahoma. Tornado tours (folks pay to ride with Tornado chasers) is a growing tourist attraction in Oklahoma now.

I start my new "position" as an Inspector Monday. There apprears to be a heavy turnover in our department; hope to change that. Out of the two that are there; one inspector has been there since November. Everybody is real friendly and helpful; which is making me a little nevervous. I really think they want Inspectors to stay. I'll let ya'll know how it's working out after I check out the local golf courses. :D

Uncle Bob

If it's a small city then they may be using it (the job) as a stepping stone for beginner inspectors.

UB,

Agree with Mule and besides they will love your electric personality :D

Remember to replace those divots especially in the Spring. I had to quit golf after the Range Master told me that football players should not play golf because divots are divots not to be mistaken with trenches :oops:

Oh....64 today with snow and rain tomorrow :cry:

ub,

supposed to be 80 here today and set a new record high? al gore was right! congratulations on your new endeavor but i am a little concerned about the high turnover rate and your well being in this new career. could i send you some money via pay pal and you take out a life insurance policy with me as the benefactor? that's PWOOD with 2 o's :mrgreen:

PWood,

Thanks, for the concern. :lol:

My grandmother had life insurance policies on all of her childern and grandchildren; and collected a lot of money over the years before she left us. :)

Mule & FM,

I know what you mean about a steping stone city; Harker Heights, Texas takes entry level police officers and pays for their training and as soon as the get certified they move to the "big city".

In this case, I'm finding that most of the problem has been with Inspectors attempting to enforce the codes, getting discouraged and leaving.

I think it's been a head butting game where everyone loses. Right now, contractors within the municipality are not answerable to the State for allowing code violations. The State is in the process of adopting a State Code that all municipalities must adopt; and cannot amend the code to lessen the requirements. Also, we have a State licensing board that will take action against licensed contractors who do not adhere to the State adopted codes.

I see a terrific opportunity to improve code compliance here. Right now, I will mostly observe; help contractors understand the code requirements, and prepare for when the State codes become required.

I always cover my a--, er repair my diviots. :cool:

Uncle Bob

UB, Congrat's on your new position! I wish you the very best.

P.S. You are welcome for the snow storm! :lol: It's still snowing here.