• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

I don't like I-joists either.

Re: I don't like I-joists either.

ConArb,

From the link;

"Trusses are the most dangerous part of your building in a high-heat fire emergency"

I didn't see an explaination of the requirement.

Are you saying that New Jersey and New York have a law that requires buildings to be label that have trusses?

What is the Fire Fighter suppose to do; not enter?

I don't understand,

Uncle Bob

Yes Unkie, there is a NYS law that requires buildings using trusses in thier construction to be identified by labels or placards at each entry and FD connection. It's just so the FD will know....

See text here - www.dos.state.ny.us/CODE/part1264.htm

Too bad the law doesn't apply to wood frame houses & townhouses, where these systems are most often used.

The floor - and roof - system design is part of the house design, and a complete layout and instructions are prepared by the manufacturer's engineering dept. I have bunches of them in my files.

Mac,

Well, that clears the way for "Green Building":

I think I'll get out of the codes and start up a sign company; in order to get a jump on the new building trend.

I could make; Warning Signs for Fire Fighters notifying them "DO NOT ENTER"!

The following NEW GREEN BUILDING products WILL KILL YOU if you breath the fumes when they are burning.

PVC pipe, OSB sheathing, Great Stuff Foam, Styrefoam, and most "Green Building Products".

These products are necessary in order to build "affordable" 2,000 sq. ft. McMansions; for the working class; however do not enter them when they catch fire.

Uncle Bob

I don't exactly see it the same way, UB. The truss ID signs don't have any "green building" implications - thay are meant to notify the responders of the presence of truss type construction.

None of the green building stuff you listed is news. All FD's should know about those components by now.

Hey - I thought you was already retired! Go catch a fish or something.

Our Uncle is spot on, as usual, were I a firefighter, I'd rather have a truss floor collapse under me than suffer though a long life of being poisoned by toxic gasses from foams and other toxic products. Aren't some of those guys from the Rhode Island Station fire still alive -- in iron lungs?

Other fire labeling requirements.

ConArb,

Thanks for the link.

Apparently, from now on; if you have a home or business that is built using, lightweight steel, I-joist, or wood truss systems; you will be on your own, as far as fire rescue is conserned.

From the comments at the bottom of the link;

"My opinion only, if we don't know how long that fire has been burning then maybe we really don't need to send a crew to the roof to vent. There are other ways to do ventilation than doing roof ventilation. That is also why size up is so important and it needs to be done through out the time of the incident. That means from the time the call comes in till the time you get back to the station. That way you know everyone came home. My feeling right now with the way buildings are being constructed is to not even put guys on the roof. This is due to the fact that like you said Dave, you may not know the amount of time that this building has been burning. But I think the placards will help. They will give us some incite to what we are dealing with as far as the possibility for a roof collapse and floor collapse. We need to consider do the risks out way the rewards. We also need to realize that if there are victims, is this a rescue or recovery. Our safety is of the utmost importance. This does not sit well with a lot of people, but that is just the facts of this business. Our safety comes before the safety of the public. If we are injured or killed then there is no one there to help the public."

This gentleman just said it all,

Uncle Bob

Our Uncle is spot on, as usual, were I a firefighter, I'd rather have a truss floor collapse under me than suffer though a long life of being poisoned by toxic gasses from foams and other toxic products.
Do you know what SCBA stands for? (without looking it up!)

"My opinion only, if we don't know how long that fire has been burning then maybe we really don't need to send a crew to the roof to vent. There are other ways to do ventilation than doing roof ventilation. That is also why size up is so important and it needs to be done through out the time of the incident. That means from the time the call comes in till the time you get back to the station. That way you know everyone came home. My feeling right now with the way buildings are being constructed is to not even put guys on the roof. This is due to the fact that like you said Dave, you may not know the amount of time that this building has been burning. But I think the placards will help. They will give us some incite to what we are dealing with as far as the possibility for a roof collapse and floor collapse. We need to consider do the risks out way the rewards. We also need to realize that if there are victims, is this a rescue or recovery. Our safety is of the utmost importance. This does not sit well with a lot of people, but that is just the facts of this business. Our safety comes before the safety of the public. If we are injured or killed then there is no one there to help the public."
By reading that, you think the firefighters will stand in the street and watch it burn?

There are other ways to do ventilation than doing roof ventilation
My feeling right now with the way buildings are being constructed is to not even put guys on the roof.
See the above quote

We need to consider do the risks out way the rewards. We also need to realize that if there are victims, is this a rescue or recovery
That quote speaks for itself

Of course, if it was sprinkled.....it would all be a mute point!

wait for it.........

mute or moot?

moot - of little or no practical value or meaning; purely academic.

mute - Expressed without speech

Sorry but I had to know. ;)

rk - Of all the spelling and gramatical errors on this board, you pick that one to comment on? :roll: Half the attorneys I know don't know how to spell/pronounce 'moot' and ALL of tham went through multiple 'moot courts' during their educational process. :lol: :lol:

John Drobysh said:
rk - Of all the spelling and gramatical errors on this board, you pick that one to comment on? :roll: Half the attorneys I know don't know how to spell/pronounce 'moot' and ALL of tham went through multiple 'moot courts' during their educational process. :lol: :lol:
Hey....I'm not the grammer/spelling police. Just thought I'd throw it out there. I once made a similar mistake and was thankful someone corrected me. If they hadn't I'd still be using "for all intensive purposes" instead of "for all intents and purposes". I was about 18, first year in college, but the correction stuck for the last 22 years. Of course, that is all just a moot point now, right?

Maybe it's a 'mute' point? :D

I'm actually guilty of the same tendency... I've offered corrections here more often than some might appreciate... Oh well, sometimes it sucks to be (a) smart(a$$). :mrgreen:

We could... but where's the fun in THAT?!? :p

(12 to go mtlog... I think I WILL make it by years end... :lol: )