• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ICC announces new Code Forum!

RJJ said:
I am glad I am not holding my breath for the new ICC BB. They need to hire someone in the IT field to oversee the project.
Speaking of people hired by the ICC, what happened to our minder?

Uncle Bob said:
Shouldn't take any longer to put it back than it did to take it down.Uncle Bob
They probably first have to form a committee, complete a feasibility study, estimate the required manpower, and then do some other standard red tape bureaucratic type stuff before they just "flip the switch" and enable posting on their bulletin board.

yeah... no news is.. well... no news... I'm disappointed, but still did enjoy meeting you guys in Denver.. (or outside of Denver, as it turned out). Was really hoping the "thing of things" would have evolved by now... but, I do understand the budgeting end of things... *sigh*... still waiting Kyle..

brudgers: Our minder! I believe they have technical difficulties and he can't find the link!

JP! The flaming cow would be more appropriate in green! Just a suggestion!

Another thread started on this topic.

Here is the link:

http://www.inspectpa.com/phpbb/showthread.php?3572-Update-ish

Here is the first post:

Update-ish

Hey Guys,

Long time not talk. Sorry but things (sounds like an excuse, but really it isn't, or maybe it is...anyway) have been quite hectic around here with Conference, post-Conference and then I was at Greenbuild last month too. Now, the holidays are upon us and we are all pushing hard to try and get the new BB going and approved so we can start building it and testing it.

The phase that we are in right now is still the approval phase. Some things have changed (nothing drastic, but enough to keep us busy on our end) but we are hoping that soon we will see some changes to the website and the current COIs.

I cannot guarantee any timelines or dates of launch. They keep me in the dark about that kind of stuff and just say, "Ok here we go!"

I thoroughly appreciate the patience and understand the impatience. I had a chance to speak to a few members at Conference and had some great talks with them.

As soon as I know anything, you guys will be the first to know.

Happy Holidays and be safe traveling everyone.

V767

Well, V767

I personally could care less. I'm fed up with the ICC. They are making new codes and changes so fast that a person that did absolutely nothing else could not keep up with all the certifications, new codes and changes.

This crap has spun totally out of control. It's sad enough that most inspectors don't have any certs; and most municipalities want the least qualified any way (it's much cheaper); and, the ICC is piling up new codes and certifications like cord wood.

My certifications renewal was last month; I didn't even bother to turn in the paper work and money; and yes, I do have the required CEUs.

It's quite a relief. No more idiotic CEU classes; given by people that don't have a clue.

This forum has all my code freinds; and I'm staying right here.

Ya'll be good to yourselves,

Uncle Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally could care less. I'm fed up with the ICC. They are making new codes and changes so fast that a person that did absolutely nothing else could not keep up with all the certifications, new codes and changes.

Makes me think of some movies, like The Matrix Triology & the Terminator Series where the computers are supposed to help us and end up ruining our lives.

Apparently they don't have enough codes.

From their wedsite "ICC is accepting applications for the Turfgrass and Landscape Irrigation Sprinkler Standard Consensus Committee. Deadline is January 17, 2011."

Uncle Bob said:
Well, V767I personally could care less. I'm fed up with the ICC. They are making new codes and changes so fast that a person that did absolutely nothing else could not keep up with all the certifications, new codes and changes.

This crap has spun totally out of control. It's sad enough that most inspectors don't have any certs; and most municipalities want the least qualified any way (it's much cheaper); and, the ICC is piling up new codes and certifications like cord wood.

My certifications renewal was last month; I didn't even bother to turn in the paper work and money; and yes, I do have the required CEUs.

It's quite a relief. No more idiotic CEU classes; given by people that don't have a clue.

This forum has all my code freinds; and I'm staying right here.

Ya'll be good to yourselves,

Uncle Bob
Well said Bob.

I got until March to think about renewing the 8 certs I have or taking early retirement. Will see what the city's offer is after the first of the year.

If over 35 don't apply

Greetings from the International Code Council,

As the lead point of contact for an ICC Member Jurisdiction your assistance is needed with an ICC outreach initiative to better understand the needs and perspectives of the next generation of code officials.

As we move forward in our evaluation of how to best enhance the code development process for the benefit of our participants, we wish to conduct a series of in-depth interviews with younger code officials – individuals 35 or younger. Our timeline necessitates conducting these interviews right after the first of the year, so we need your help.

We are asking our key contacts at all ICC member jurisdictions to reach out to staff in your department under age 35 within their organization and provide them with an opportunity to participate in a brief, anonymous interview. This research will focus on their perspectives toward code development, and the results will help ICC’s ongoing discussion about how to maximize participation in the code development process.

Please forward this email to your organizational colleagues under age 35, and ask them to consider participating in the study by clicking on the link below to provide their contact information and consent to an interview. We will be conducting these interviews during the first two weeks in January so please forward this message as soon as possible.

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/433308/ICC

Thank you for your support with this important initiative. You may contact Mike Armstrong, ICC Senior Vice President of Membership and Outreach at marmstrong@iccsafe.org with any questions.

Sincerely,

The International Code Council

I got that one, too. How many "35 or younger" code officials do they think there are? If you follow the model set forth in Appendix A (I realize they haven't read their own publications), you have to have a minimum of 10 years experience as a superintendent, architect, engineer, etc.; So that would imply that you underwent some secondary education - if four years, that puts you at 22. Then, presumably, you would work your way up into one of those positions that you then hold for ten years. I would say the minimum age anyone would start in this field is mid-to-late thirties.

Inspector and plans examiners only need 5 years experience. They would qualify, wouldn't they?

I'm not a code official or I'd sign up.

We've never had anyone younger than 35 that worked here...........at least in the last 30+ years, much less make it to be a code official.

sounds lke an obvious case of age descrimination to me. anyone know a sleazy out of work lawyer ? e-mail it to me for a cut of the settlement!

You might note that the ICC did not say ICC Certified Code Officials; as most municipal "Code Officials" are not.

Which brings up an interesting point; should non-certified code officials; who have no certifications; be determining what codes and/or code changes are going to be in the code books?

Uncle Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a young inspector, who is 37, but he is thinking that down the road he might like to be a building official, and I suggested that he might want to paticipate in the survey. He can pretend he's still 35! :) Shucks, 40 would still be a young 'code official'.

Uncle Bob said:
You might note that the ICC did not say ICC Certified Code Officials; as most municipal "Code Officials" are not.Which brings up an interesting point; should non-certified code officials; who have no certifications; be determining what codes and/or code changes are going to be in the code books?

Uncle Bob
Now, Bob,

The Code Development Committee, or whatever it's called, which is reviewing the whole code development process and "looking into" remote voting, etc., determined that certification in a given code as a prerequisite to voting on any given code should not be required. Surely they came to that decision after much thoughtful deliberation, and in the best interest of the future of the codes and the ICC. Following their sagacious model, why should young inspectors waste their time obtaining certifications in those boring old "core" codes, when instead they could focus on Green code issues, which are so much more critical to our future existence???