• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ICC announces new Code Forum!

Pennsylvania does not adopt all of the appendices, Appendix A being one of the omitted!

I was 35 when I became an inspector & 37 a BO and having seen over 200 applications for employment over 20 years I can't remember one applicant being under 40, Lets face it if they have their health they will make a lot more working in the trades then as a goverment employee

Jobsaver said:
Anybody have a guess as to why the age limit?
Because we're old, obsolete, and "don't get it" - that's why we aren't 'embracing' the green codes and other high priority initiatives of the ICC. Notice the photographs at the headers of all of the screens on their websites? Looks like they copied them from a college or university website - everyone in their twenties, well dressed, look like they're on a field trip to a jobsite rather than working there. Seriously, go to the site and click on each of the main areas at the top of the screen: "About" / "Communities of Interest" / "Membership" / "Education and Certification", etc. and look at the pictures. That's how the ICC views us - either as how membership currently looks, or how it "should" look.

The link should be send out to everyone and the survey should have included a question about age range. Then ICC could have thrown out the responses from the age ranges they didn't want to know about without looking so asinine.

AdRedirect.aspx

Look like anyone in your building department?

Unfortunately, surveys can be useless. The intended results can be generated before the survey is even conducted, then they write the question in such a way that their results are guaranteed.

Example:

Interviewer: Would you rather eat Vanilla ice cream or lima bean flavored ice cream?

Interviewee: Vanilla

Survey Result: "Our survey indicates that most people prefer Vanilla ice cream."

I sent ICC the question, "Why the age limit?", but do not really expect a response.

They are probably just targeting marketing dollars where they will get the most return. My recent ahj membership renewal request was apparently forwarded straight to the marketing department, as I am already receiving a new flood of ICC email from the marketing department.

ICC is conducting a series of in-depth telephone interviews with code department staff under the age of 35 to gain insight into perspectives toward code development. Results from the study will inform ICC's ongoing discussion about how to maximize participation in the code development process. Please consider participating in the study by consenting to participate in an interview and by providing contact information below. The interviews, which will take approximately 20-30 minutes, will be conducted between January 3-14, 2011. If you have any questions, please contact Mike Armstrong, ICC Senior Vice President, at marmstrong@iccsafe.org.

Maybe because those under 35 probably have had no experience or participated in how the legacy codes where adopted. This will give the ICC a fresh and new way to adopt code changes. Lets see just cram all code changes into one, don't discuss the merits of each individual one and vote. Works for the Senate and House should streamline the ICC process.

I called Mike Armstrong to find out what this is really all about. We talked for awhile and he sent me this email:

Hi Jim

I’m happy to give you a little more background. As you may know we have a Code Development Review Ad Hoc Committee, assembled by former Board President Ron Lynn, to discuss how to best evolve our process to encourage greater participation and access. The CDRAC and the Code Council are very interested in hearing from newer code officials who may just be starting to have the time to participate with us. Given the advances in technology and the different ways younger generations access information and participate in outside activities, we’d like to know how the Code Council might best be positioned to engage with them as they mature in their careers. We have sent this request to every listed lead point of contact for a member jurisdiction, some 12,000 individuals, in the hopes that they can help us build a list. Our immediate goal is to conduct telephone surveys and provide analysis to the CDRAC in a white paper before their last meeting in February. We also feel this will be the basis for new outreach initiatives designed to “build our bench” of future leaders and participants at all levels.

I’m happy to answer any other questions folks may have regarding the survey, and I appreciate your interest.

Best to you over the holidays –

Mike Armstrong

Given the advances in technology and the different ways younger generations access information and participate in outside activities, we’d like to know how the Code Council might best be positioned to engage with them as they mature in their careers.
I feel like I am going in the direction of the slide rule :roll:

Kind of like surveying the incoming freshman class in their first week on campus about how to improve student life, instead of surveying the outgoing seniors. Sounds like it's as much about indoctrinating young minds as it is seeking input.

Preferred methods of "accessing information" and communication among various age groups should be universal and not industry- or profession-specific. The information should be widely available and has undoubtedly been studied much more in-depth and by much more qualified analysts than will be engaged here.

The information should be widely available and has undoubtedly been studied much more in-depth and by much more qualified analysts than will be engaged here.

Code, that is true but qualified analysts costs a lot of money vs doing it in house. In talking with Mike a large part of this is an attempt to identify the next generation of leaders that will be voting members, chapter leaders, icc board of directors, etc...

. . . how best to reach the younger generation of code officials , , , maybe start with a FORUM that works?