• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Interview later today...

jp - Don't forget, it's a travelling job. I could be upstate one week and on Long Island the next...

Way to go John! I hope you just fall in love with the job! I've always liked teaching and hope to get into it one of these days when I grow up!

Congratulations John! You da man! :) Sometimes, change can be refreshing and invigorating. I am

sure that you will do just fine. Keep us updated!

Thanks ALL. I am pretty psyched about it... nervous, anxious, a little scared(?), but thinking it's a good thing.

Globe - Fear not, only my profile location will change. I'll still be posting.

jp - Let me earn some vacation first, will ya? It IS a NYS trainers position after all, so not too many excursions into the Mid-West just yet...

Let me add my congratulations, as well! Judging by the ease with which you answer questions on here, the well-chosen wording of your responses, and your ability to interject humor into practically any topic, in my opinion you'll make a terrific instructor.

Enjoy!

The Ace takes the position! Way to go JD. From what I hear, you won't be disappointed - those are pretty good jobs, and you're the best guy for it.

My PM function isn't working, or I'm doing something wrong....

See you in class - I'll be in the back row, paying very close attention!

Let's recap for those of us who aren't from NY. John - are you saying that NY has a state organization that provides training to the individual jurisdictions/code officials? If so, that's an excellent idea. Or are you providing training to the designers/builders? OR both?

Anyway, is this service funded by the state, or do the recipients of your training pay for this? Either way, I am a huge supporter of consistent training provided to multiple groups, keeping everyone up to date. Congratulations.

Vegas - Yes, NYS has a training and certification program that is among the best you can find (and not just because I'm now a trainer... ;-) ). We have been certifying Code Enforcement Officials since (at least) the early 80's - that's when it became mandatory. The programs are provided by the NYS Department of State Codes Division, that's who I will be working for. The basic training program is a series of six (seven?) courses with written exam at the end of each 3 1/2 day class. Once you've completed all and passed the exams, you are Certified by NYS as a Code Enforcement Official. Prior to the ICC, over 40 States recognized NYS Certification and would hire a NYS Certified Code Official without hesitation. I know of one gal who didn't even get her actual certificate in the mail, moved to (I believe) Florida right after her last class and was employed full time in less than a week.

We also have some great in-service programs as we require a minimum of 24 hours of approved training annually to maintain our cert. Dept of State Codes Division also provides, among other things, technical assistance, Boards of Review for variances, and interpretations of the State Codes - BINDING interpretations that is, none of this 'we think it means this, but it's up to you...' stuff. That's why I sometimes sound... arrogant?... to some on the BB.

Our system is apparently somewhat unique, but I can't imagine doing this job without that kind of (non-local) support. I feel the pain of those who don't have a strong Statewide presence to back them up. Check out the State Codes Division website: http://www.dos.state.ny.us/code/ls-codes.html .

mtlog - I'm not sure even NYS is ready for a whole class on 'attic stairs' yet, maybe someday... They do encourage us to get involved in course development, but still need to get new material approved by my boss.

code neo - The advantage of on-line answers is that you don't see how long it takes me to formulate an answer, or how many windows I have open with different versions of the codes at the same time... or how many 'edits' I make before I hit the post reply button. Like the difference between a taped performance and a live performance, there's not much of a comparison.

jp - Your attachment link is dead... What was it?

jp - LMAO! I wonder if the ceiling assembly has the correct rating for fire separation? Seems like a silly place to put the attached garage, but what do I know. Do you think anyone would disagree that you need a code compliant set of stairs to get down into the habitable space?