• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Just saying hello

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Hello my name is Jeff and I am an inspectoholic. I am hoping that this website will help me with my 12 step program in assisting me to stop inspecting everything I look at.

I am always wanting to measure grab bars and other fixture distances when I am in a public bathroom.

I cannot walk into a building and wonder if it should have been sprinklered.

I cannot stop myself from measuring tactile signs.

I can't walk past a battery pack emergency light pack without pressing the test button

Help me

LOL.....My name is Tim, I haven't done an inspection since....this morning.

I like to mentally calculate an occupant load and see if the exiting is adequate and compliant.

My name is Richard! I suffer from all of the above! I would rather read a code up date then the sports page. Unless it has to do with a fishing report. I review them first. On weekends I suffer with depression from lack of code issues.

Hello my name is Dave my wife says I have a problem because I look at the ceiling everytime we go out to eat. Seriously I just look to see if the sprinkler heads are spaced correctly!!!!

RJJ, been scuba diving recently and finding all of the fish in the 6-20' range of depth and only in the weeds. In the deep parts over 30' with no vegetation, no fish. Lots of little fingerlings(?) in the weeds in abundance so plenty of food for the big ones. Large mouth bass appear to be on the hunt and aggressive. Almost got ahold of a tail.

Greetings, my name is Jake and I am an addict. I point out burned out exit signs to store managers. I count the doors to both exits when staying in a motel. I take vacations to go to code classes. I look at fire extinguisher inspection tags. I look at standpipe outlets in buildings. I look at fire department connection locations. I look at fire lane markings. I look at address number visibility. I look at accessible parking spaces. I look at dilapidated buildings. I spend some of my free time on a message board looking up code questions. I'd rather read a NFPA or NIOSH fire report than the box score.

I was beyond hope years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

My forum name is "north star". I don't have a life either! I continually look

for code violations everywhere I go, ...I even make myself mad for not being

able to stop looking either! D`OH!! :-o

Whenever I can't sleep at night, I get up and turn on the `ol computer and

start surfing this forum to see what discussions I have missed, ...what

everybody is saying or discussing and trying to learn more and more, ...ya

know, ...just feeding my neurosis all the more. Sports and all of the

"Drama-vision" on the idiot box is pale in comparison to all of the action

on this forum.

Yep, my OCD is in high gear! :-D

Fall most often a water temp improves brings them back to the weeds and edges. Now if I took up scuba I could find the fish and just net them. However, the unknown is the challenge. Now just what lake did you dive in?

Now I believe the majority of members on this board suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder! Hope I spelled them correct.

My name is Russell and I have a prob, er...and I am a code guru like all the others above. I often point out violations to my wife at dinner and she is well, not that interested at all..haha. I am currently, as in this week, in Doylestown, PA getting me some fire inspector training...been looking forward to this week since March.

my name is pwood and i am an inspectoholic. i watch hgtv shows and scream when i see code violations. it upsets the wife and she wants me to seek help. went to mexico for a vacation last year and i kept a journal of code violations. kept me busy and her pi$$ed off. i need help!

RJJ said:
Fall most often a water temp improves brings them back to the weeds and edges. Now if I took up scuba I could find the fish and just net them. However, the unknown is the challenge. Now just what lake did you dive in?Now I believe the majority of members on this board suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder! Hope I spelled them correct.
We snuck into a private lake this weekend not to be disclosed. My stealth from my Marine Corps days helped us to enter the water early in the morning. Getting too old to be humping the gear though.

Hello. My name is John, and I'm a code-aholic. My daughter had to beg me NOT to report an Exit door in her dorm building at College that did not close properly. I couldn't sleep for weeks. Finally the school fixed it of their own volition and I was able to sleep peacefully again. But my daughter still suspects that I had a hand in it... My wife won't look at me the first time we go to a new venue, as she knows what I'm doing as soon as we walk in - checking for the nearest Exit, looking for blocked or obscured exits, you know the drill.

My name is John, and I'm a code-aholic...

Hello........this Facility is going to be my end.....

Hello JD & Others.

My name is FMWB and I’m a detailed orientated code geek specializing in fire protection. I too suffer similar symptoms as others and during the past week and now into week two, I have been inspecting a fire pump installation where I have a new understanding of the definitions of rocks. These were not pebbles, stones nor boulders but rocks found in the RPZ and pump cavity below the impeller vanes.

Today’s episode…… finally after reaching the 150% flow with acceptable pressure, setting the jockey pump and the 6/6 starts; the control panel on the new pump controller locked up. The pump manufacturer's representative called the manufacturer and when I asked if this is a common problem with this controller, he said they said….. They would overnight a new mother board. Guess they knew and I have my answer. Test three on Thursday. This facility must be on an Indian Burial Site (no offence intended to Native Americans).

Oh yea....I do all that other stuff above/below too :( Darn...I'm an addict!

Rjj: Boat is put away for the winter and thinking of this Saturday when I hope to see that nice 170 class 10 point eating some acorns 27.5 yards away from my tree stand :0

I feel for you all, it must be a terrible thing. I don't need to come here at ten-till-nine on a Monday night, I can quit any time I want!

Hello, my name is Wayne and I'm too close to retirement to really think about work after 5PM. However I have been known to look at buildings from time to time. I have been looking for so many years the wife is getting better at it than I am though! She is always saying...Isn't that a violation?? I respond "Yes dear..it is! Good job."

My name is Wayne and I have been sober for the last two years.

Hello, my name is John, and I too suffer from all of the above problems, to the point where I point out code violations in movies and tv shows.

It comforts me to know that so many share with me the heightened sense of awareness of surroundings that this training/experience/affliction has blessed me with.

I have learned to leave work at work and home at home. Somehow when I get to work I cannot recall anything that I saw off the clock.

I once told a dog joke on this site and nobody thought it was funny, their all a bunch of code inspector's or something! Working on being an inspectoholic.

Welcome to the forum!

Pc1

I want you all to know there is a way to avoid doing so much inspection work when out on the town. Only go to places that serve alcoholic beverages and drink fast. (I would not recommend opening bottles of wine at the grocery store and drinking from the bottle as you shop, you don't have to chase down the store manager then, he comes and finds you.) After the third drink I have forgotten all about any code violations and spend the rest of the evening getting slapped by the woman I am with for pointing out all the pretty women that walk by. (And there are lots of pretty Texas women to see) Doesn't do much for making a long lasting relationship with any of the women that I date, but its a hell of a lot more fun than chasing the building manager down to tell him the exit light is not working. And when you feel the need to look for violations again, its time to order another drink. :) If I ever feel I am cured of the of being an inspectoholic, I will think about going to AA then. :p